Will a masters program help me get into medical school?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

minh5319

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Need Advice Please.
I am deciding on whether I should do a masters program or not for this upcoming fall term. I applied to Nova MBS, USF MMS and Lecom MMS. Stats: 498 MCAT and 3.8 science. Also planning on retaking the MCAT as well.

Just wanted to know whether doing a masters will help my chances of getting into medical school or if getting a higher MCAT alone is sufficient (2 years and counting as a medical assistant with shadowing and volunteering as well). Also if anyone knows people in any of these programs can comment on the programs matriculation rate/ experience that would be great. Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

I would just retake the MCAT and not do the master's program since your GPA is solid.

You don't need a SMP to get into medical school because your sGPA is not in need of remediation.

What is your cGPA? If it is as competitive as the sGPA, why take two steps (masters, 2nd MCAT, and be out of $?.??k) when all you need is to take one step (improvement on the 2nd MCAT)?

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
The LECOM MMS will nearly guarantee an acceptance to LECOM without a gap year if you get a >3.4 Masters GPA there. If your MCAT retake doesn't come back great/money is no object, it may be worth it if you get in.