Will a Political Science Major Put Me at a Disadvantage???

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Cofo

Super Cool Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I love politics therefore, I was considering switching my major to political science. Currently my major is biology, but I want to get a degree in something that is fun for me, (Political Science). I have made A's in my biology courses so far, so the reason I want to switch majors isn't because im not good at biology. I do very well at biology. I am only have 36 hours completed, so I am a sophomore now. Will majoring in Political Science help or hurt me in getting into to dental school?

Members don't see this ad.

I don't think it will hurt you as long as you take a good amount of upper biology courses, other than the required ones.

I don't think it will hurt you as long as you take a good amount of upper biology courses, other than the required ones.

Yes, but D-schools will recognize that most of your classes are easier to an extent (rather than all the difficult science classes).
but if your prove that you can do well in all your science classes then it is not too bad. Oh ya, kill the DAT and they won't have any doubts ;)

GOOD LUCK

Members don't see this ad :)
anybody else have a take on this?
by the time I apply, I will have only taken *botany, zoology, A&P1, A&P2, Principles of Biology 1, and Principles of Biology 2* for biology courses. Will dental schools consider any of those upper division courses? Anyone else think I am at a disadvantage of getting accepted?

anybody else have a take on this?
by the time I apply, I will have only taken *botany, zoology, A&P1, A&P2, Principles of Biology 1, and Principles of Biology 2* for biology courses. Will dental schools consider any of those upper division courses? Anyone else think I am at a disadvantage of getting accepted?

Upper level courses are those that start with a 3 or a 4 though I may be incorrect.

Your major is not a disadvantage. People have gotten into D-school as history, engineering... even music majors! Like the man said, take a few extra upper level bio classes like immunology or ecology. Make sure your science GPA is higher than your cumulative. Your major really doesn't matter - just prove you can handle the science and you're golden.

It probably won't hurt you per se...Keep biology and minor in poly sci or dual major...True or not, political science has a reputation for being an even bigger blow off degree than communications.

It's not going to hurt you. Polysci courses are not easier than biology courses, they are just hard in a different way. :) I would argue this about any major for which you are required to take 300 400 500 level courses. You did well in your prereqs, so you're good there. Just make sure you do well in whatever you decide to take on.

Take a couple more upper level bio courses beyond the prereqs that interest you (I took Virology and Medical Microbiology) and maybe prereqs for a school that has a lot of requirements (example: Indiana requires anatomy and physiology, many schools don't) even if you don't plan on applying there.

Oh, and do well on the DAT. That is much more important than which major you choose.

Good luck!:luck:

Me.
Econ Major.
Enrolling at SUNY Buffalo next august.
Does that answer dispel doubts??:smuggrin:

Take a couple more upper level bio courses beyond the prereqs that interest you (I took Virology and Medical Microbiology) and maybe prereqs for a school that has a lot of requirements (example: Indiana requires anatomy and physiology, many schools don't) even if you don't plan on applying there.

Well, my university is very frustrating. Everyone I talk to says that the anatomy and physiology class is very hard and it requires a lot of studying. ...But the course is assigned at the 100 level. Therefore, it makes it look like I took an easy class when in reality it is going to be a tough class. Also, the freakin' university makes the class genetics a prerequisite for almost every upper level bio class that I want to take. i.e. cell biology, molecular biology, physiology, ect.... I DON'T FEEL LIKE TAKING GENETICS. It seems Booooooooring. ZZzzzZZzZz Any advice about the A&P class being a 100 level course? Will this look bad? My schedule for the fall is this: Chemistry, A&P w/lab, Art appreciation (so i can take sculpture), African politics, Foundations of Govt. & Politics.

Well, my university is very frustrating. Everyone I talk to says that the anatomy and physiology class is very hard and it requires a lot of studying. ...But the course is assigned at the 100 level. Therefore, it makes it look like I took an easy class when in reality it is going to be a tough class. Also, the freakin' university makes the class genetics a prerequisite for almost every upper level bio class that I want to take. i.e. cell biology, molecular biology, physiology, ect.... I DON'T FEEL LIKE TAKING GENETICS. It seems Booooooooring. ZZzzzZZzZz Any advice about the A&P class being a 100 level course? Will this look bad? My schedule for the fall is this: Chemistry, A&P w/lab, Art appreciation (so i can take sculpture), African politics, Foundations of Govt. & Politics.

My school required genetics as well, and in my opinion, it is boring, but you do what you have to do. It's one semester.

My A&P class was only 200 (I think there was a 100 level section for nursing majors), and I only took it because I was applying to Indiana (needed the 200 not 100 level for some reason). Having any A&P will look better than none, I guess, but not having any will only hurt if it's required (of course).

Yeah my school make genetics a prereq for everything, too. Solution: talk to the class prof and explain that you don't need the class for your major but you'd like to take it to prepare for dental school/personal development. Profs can sign you into anything. Actually, if you're friendly with the Bio office people, maybe someone in there could just sign you up (that's actually what I did, explaining the situation to them).