will future pharm grads beg to work for free?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I can see salaries going down to 60k, but i would not be too concerned. pharmacy is not that saturated yet.

I think the phrase "if you're good at something, never do it for free" fits well here.

Members don't see this ad :)
I would volunteer for a free clinic or something but no way am I working for free just because some for profit company wants to exploit the market. I'd rather default on my loans (which I'd be doing anyway) and eat Cheetos on my couch all day.

There's Tier 1, then there's T14.

Tier 1 is ~100 schools long, and the bottom-3/4 of the list are basically crap.

If you're not in the Top 14, or at the max, Top 25, you're going to have a rough time of it.

But right-minded, dedicated people will always find a place.

Maybe this numbskull graduated at the very bottom of his/her class at that "T1" school... S/he can't even spell "surrounding"... In a competitive job market, why wouldn't employers look at transcripts from law school? Evidence of passing the bar is good, of course, but adding another metric (L.S. GPA) is inevitable.

As has been said before, though, law =/= pharmacy for many reasons, not the least of which is that there are 200 accredited law schools. While 200 doesn't sound like a lot more than 115 (Our current count, based on PharmCAS.org data from this year), it really, truly is.

I wouldn't start looking for another line of work, unless you plan on being at the bottom of your pharmacy class, but even then, who knows?

All I read is doom and gloom to sell/get hits on papers/articles/websites.

There is a DVD of the musical out! My wife has it...

Better keep that thing in good shape. After all, at the end of the day it's another day older.

Here's some food for thought on the whole "Law = Pharmacy" thing-

Many, many years ago (at least a decade ago, maybe closer to two), when my undergrad English Composition professor was in her first year of college, she had an assignment in which she was to interview someone from the field she was interested in. At the time, she wanted to be a lawyer, so her professor set up an interview with a women who had her law degree. Very shortly the interview, the lawyer began to bawl and talk about how she couldn't find work and was $40K in debt and told my professor to not consider becoming a lawyer. Quote: "Don't do it. Don't put yourself through all this misery."

The moral of the story is, the issue of lawyers not being able to find work has been around for a long, long time. So, even if it would somehow make you happy to propose some fallacy that equates law to pharmacy, bear in mind that it would take a long, long time for our field to get as bad as theirs.

She probably went to a tier 2+ school.

I don't see many Harvard, Yale, UCLA, Columbia, USC, Boalt or Stanford Law grads suffering. In fact, the latest "come to USC !" brochure that my wife got lists, proudly, in big, bold red and yellow letters, "$160,000 - median income for class of 2008 graduates within 3 months of graduation." Max was $180k, low was $65k (For the *****s that went public service with it, according to the data) but 75% were >$100k. This was data compiled last year, at the APEX of our "great recession." 99% of students from C/O 2008 had jobs within six months working in the field of their choice.

Point: If you go to a crappy law school, or have crappy aspirations, you can expect crappy pay.