Will having a misdemeanor hurt my chances?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

V. Taylor

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Recently I was caught using another person's i.d. to enter a club. I was the group designated driver, so I was competely sober. I now have a misdemeanor on my record, and I was wondering how this would affect my chances of getting into medical school.

Members don't see this ad.

Don't worry about it, it seems like a noble crime.

Members don't see this ad :)
Misdemeanors are not much of a problem as felonies are. As a matter of fact, in the AMCAS application you're asked to list any felonies on your record. There are some schools that ask you to list or explain any misdemeanors (Stanford, Cornell, Wash U for example), so just be honest and brief in your secondaries. I don't know what effect (if any) this has in the decion making process.

<a href="http://forums.studentdoctor.net/ubb/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=012178" target="_blank">Check out this thread</a>

Some secondaries may ask you about misdemeanors. Don't go into great detail, don't talk about how you have reformed, just state what happened. I'm sure it will be fine. I have a misdemeanor, and it never was an issue. JUST DON'T LIE ABOUT IT!

Thanks for helping to put my mind at ease.