Will having transferred school hurt my chances of admission?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SliceNDice

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I transferred twice during undergrad. Started at a Lewis and Clark college, a small liberal arts school in Portland, then went to a Univeristy of Oregon which was out of state, and then travelled for a bit before transferring to UC Santa Barbara. Will this hurt me in my odds is admission? I had pretty decent grades the whole way through, with the lowest being my freshman year with a 3.53. My GPA for the final two years at the UC was 3.81 and my overall GPA with all the schools combined was around 3.73 or something like that.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Should be fine. You have decent reasons for transferring that you can explain well?

First transfer being a ******* and not knowing what I wanted. Second transfer because I realized I had really made some dumb decisions, and needed to take some time off to try to get my **** together. Travelled in India for 6 months and got accepted to UCSB which was way closer to home, cheaper, has a major I was much more interested in, had my brother and some of my best friends going there.

First transfer being a ******* and not knowing what I wanted. Second transfer because I realized I had really made some dumb decisions, and needed to take some time off to try to get my **** together. Travelled in India for 6 months and got accepted to UCSB which was way closer to home, cheaper, has a major I was much more interested in, had my brother and some of my best friends going there.
If I were you I'd leave the "dumb decisions" parts out of the story if you discuss your transfers during interviews, but you should be just fine :)

Reactions: 1 user