Will HPSP let you take a year off for research?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Teufelhunden

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Anyonw know if Navy HPSP will allow you to take a year off to pursue research? I'm considering applying for the HHMI-NIH Research Scholars Program (click --> here), which involves taking a year off from med school.

I know the Navy plans it's needs for physicians based upon the numbers of HPSP and USUSH students, and this would throw off their numbers for 2005 (in my case). However, I personally know people who've taken a year or two off for various reasons, e.g. having a baby, needing to repeat a year, etc. So, maybe they'd make an exception for something like this (?)

Anyone know anything about this?

Members don't see this ad.

Originally posted by Teufelhunden
Anyonw know if Navy HPSP will allow you to take a year off to pursue research? I'm considering applying for the HHMI-NIH Research Scholars Program (click --> here), which involves taking a year off from med school.

I know the Navy plans it's needs for physicians based upon the numbers of HPSP and USUSH students, and this would throw off their numbers for 2005 (in my case). However, I personally know people who've taken a year or two off for various reasons, e.g. having a baby, needing to repeat a year, etc. So, maybe they'd make an exception for something like this (?)

Anyone know anything about this?

Nope, no years off for any branches

From the Army HPSP Training Handbook:

"Leave for other educational pursuits is rarely authorized, and if so, must result in at least a masters degree in a health field."

Members don't see this ad :)
A guy at my school did it without any problem. He just had everything put on hold for one year (no stipend, no reembursements).

Ed

According to the Army HPSP handbook that we are given (and there may be some off the record info of which I am not privy) there are several kinds of LOAs (Medical, Administrative, Academic, and Personal - I think that's all of them). I looked at the definitions of each and they all sound like they are issued only for bad reasons rather than good (illness, failing a class/board exam, not being registered for full-time, etc.) I would love to hear more about other types of leave or if research may fall outside the definition of leave, but the closest to that (i.e., research) was what I posted previously.

Well, I got my answer. Here's the email I got back from Navy HPSP:

ENS Nasky,

Though I appreciate your interest in research the purpose of the
HPSP scholarship is to graduate physicians in 4 years to come on active
duty. We do not permit additional time for research or advanced
degrees.
After you have completed your medical training you are free to apply
for any
additional programs you wish to pursue through the appropriate
channels.
Thank you.