Will i get into Med School?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

vascsurgeon

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am a college sophmore now. I had a very very rough first semester: C+ in Biology, B- in chemistry, C- in Economics, and C in english. The total gpa came out to 2.2 :(. Second Semester: A- Biology, A Calculus, B+ Religion, B Chemistry, A- Nutrition. Total GPA: 3.54. So, my first year GPA is 2.95. Now in second semester, i currently have an A (99%) in Organic, B in Biology, B in French and A in Psychology. I am sure i will bring my B's to A's by the end of this semester. What are my chances and what should i do to improve?

PS: I go to a top 20 liberal arts school.....very very hard pre-med curriculum....we only have 18 people going to med schools every year (started off with 150)

PLEASE HELP ME GUYS!!!!

Members don't see this ad.

Keep on doing what you are doing. Get the grades up, volunteer, and get healthcare experience. You can't use your undergrad as a crutch...its not a legitimate excuse.

what happened to your 3.3 gpa + 37 MCAT? (per your other thread)...

Members don't see this ad :)
Tonight, on To Catch a Troll

Chris Hansen: So why would you deliberately misrepresent yourself on SDN?
OP: Oh man, I'm not going to be in trouble am I?
Chris: That's not up to me...

Hey dont mistake me,

That post was made by my friend who was not interested in opening an account.

This is the real me!!

Sorry about this guys........I am NOT lying!

Plenty of time to get A's. Your gpa will be fine, assuming you continue to get high grades from here on out.

Med school is filled with the top students, many of whom have high levels of achievement at the top schools in the country. No adcom member is going to care about the challenges your liberal arts school presented, as it seems you were not up to the challenge. As you already know your GPA wont end up being 3.9, I'd focus on two things.

1. Have a STRONG upward trend for the rest of your GPA, so you can show that the early semester was just you not focusing, and now you're focused, and pulling off the grades you need.
2. Get your ECs in line. Not just the usual shadowing, volunteering in a hospital crap. Do that of course, but find a way to get more involved in something special. Check out clinics not necessarily associated with hospitals.

If you get straight As every semester from now until the end of junior year, you'd have a GPA of 3.63 (assuming similiar credit load each year). That GPA is competitive to get into med school. You can't afford to get more Bs, unless you want to spend an additional year resuscitating your GPA before applying to med school. You can do it, if you keep focused on your final goal. Considering how tough your school is on premeds, though, I'd consider having a backup plan.

what do i need to get on the MCATs to get into any Allopathic Med School in the united states with my trend of grades (hypothetical GPA = 3.3 at the end of junior year)?

Do you mean to have a chance at every school or to have a chance at getting in somewhere? Getting a 3.6/31 should make you a solid candidate for admission if it's the latter you're concerned about. WashU has an average of 3.9/38, so being competitive at every school is probably not an option.

what do i need to get on the MCATs to get into any Allopathic Med School in the united states with my trend of grades (hypothetical GPA = 3.3 at the end of junior year)?

If you apply at the end of junior year with a GPA of 3.3, IMO you'd need an MCAT of 34+ to compensate.