Will I have a chance for interview if I applied with these scores?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

OB LAGER

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm purely asking whether I will have any chances for interview if I submitted with my current status right now.

I'm D3. I'VE SET MY HEART ON OMFS since D1!!!!!
my class ranking is 4/74,
cumulative GPA is 3.93.
I took CBSE - almost cold, and got 61(this is my weakest, I think) last august.
I'm going on mission trip soon, and currently applying for a couple of externships.
My undergrad was a little sad. 3.54 cumulative, science 3.83.
I have been receiving scholarships(not much, it's less than a 100th fraction of my tuition :( ) for 2 years in a row by now, and I've been shadowing my school's OS surgeons/residents since D2.
i'm involved in a couple of clubs in my school.
NBME is a pass, so can't say much about it.

I'm taking CBSE again next february, better prepared, so that i can hit better score.

But, if I applied with these scores, will I a chance for interview?

I look forward to your generous, thoughtful and intellectual replies!

Thanks for your time!! Have a good rest of the year and Happy new years in a month!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
I'm purely asking whether I will have any chances for interview if I submitted with my current status right now.

I'm D3. I'VE SET MY HEART ON OMFS since D1!!!!!
my class ranking is 4/74,
cumulative GPA is 3.93.
I took CBSE - almost cold, and got 61(this is my weakest, I think) last august.
I'm going on mission trip soon, and currently applying for a couple of externships.
My undergrad was a little sad. 3.54 cumulative, science 3.83.
I have been receiving scholarships(not much, it's less than a 100th fraction of my tuition :( ) for 2 years in a row by now, and I've been shadowing my school's OS surgeons/residents since D2.
i'm involved in a couple of clubs in my school.
NBME is a pass, so can't say much about it.

I'm taking CBSE again next february, with more prepared, so that i can hit better score.

But, if I applied with these scores, will I a chance for interview?

I look forward to your generous, thoughtful and intellectual replies!

Thanks for your time!! Have a good rest of the year and Happy new years in a month!
I think it's pretty safe to say you can relax and breathe, lol. Looks like you're doing well and you will have some very good chances of interviewing.

61 is an okay score. i would say you would be more competitive for the 4 year programs due to your high class rank, but the 6-year programs may be a bit of a stretch since they prefer at least 65-68 on that test.

I thought 4-year was, in general, more competitive than its 6-year counterpart. Is that not necessarily true?

More competitive because of the more applications per spot. The 6 year positions are generally held at a higher standard since you gotta be approved by the oral surgery program and the med school. And med schools need to be sure you can pass the Usmle part 1. A 67 correlates to a pass on that test. If you don't pass that test you get kicked out of the program and med school. Some med schools even screen for undergrad gpa. Big generalization because there are some really good 4 year programs and some mediocre 6 year ones.

61 is an okay score. i would say you would be more competitive for the 4 year programs due to your high class rank, but the 6-year programs may be a bit of a stretch since they prefer at least 65-68 on that test.

Yes, I thought so. I literally went in cold taking that exam, just to see where I was. I'm taking the exam again in february to shoot for 70! thanks for your advice!

Break 70 on NBME and your application will be excellent. Apply with a 61 and you will still probably get interviews. Be a normal person on interviews and you'll match, if I didn't know any better.