Will I have to pay back my bonus?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Djejdhskhwhxucjenfjsj

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was given a bonus to take a job with WAG about a year ago. It was for the overnight shift. I was given a 20k bonus and a 5k relocation bonus. They said I have to stay for 3 years or I'll have to pay it back.

I just got notice that they will be converting to a non 24 hour store. It's not clear to me if I will be let go. From what I've read, usually when this happens, I would be let go or have the option to float.

If they give me the option to float, will I have to pay back the 25k if I leave? Also, if I'm laid off, they surely won't expect me to pay back 25k, correct?

Members don't see this ad.

I've already started applying for other jobs. It's stressful because there is no way i can pay back that 25k. Every cent I've made went to my loans. I had 270k when I graduated and I'm down to 162k after 2 years of working (one year for cvs, one year for Walgreens).

Most likely, no, you don't have to pay it back since it's not your fault.

If you quit the company (not let go), then yes, you will have to pay it back.

Members don't see this ad :)
What does your contract say? If it specifies overnights and the company takes you off, I would say they are releasing you from the obligation. If it says that you have to work for them for x years, your at their mercy. But I am not an attorney. See my response to your other post.

from experience, if they give you an option to float and you turn it down - you WILL have to pay it back, if they let you go - they could likely make you pay it back, if you are fired, you have to pay it back.

The company always (almost) wins