Will I like college better?

Started by hs2013
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

hs2013

Full Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I am a junior in high school and hate, I mean absolutely hate high school. I hate the fact that 5 days a week I have to go to stupid school for 7 hours straight, and on top of that ridiculous amounts of homework. That is probably the main reason I don't even study for my tests, just no motivation I just hate high school. I still am doing well though, a few honors classes and a couple of APs and have a 3.85 GPA. But do you think I will like college a lot better only have to go to class for maybe 3-5 hours on the days I have class, a lesser load of homework, and especially if I keep myself organized and study maybe 2-3 hours a day will college be better for me? It seems really nice taking a class, then having a large break in between and going to your other class later. While having a lot of free time in there to get your studying done and to do whatever... Will I like college better and be much more motivated to try hard?
 
I am a junior in high school and hate, I mean absolutely hate high school. I hate the fact that 5 days a week I have to go to stupid school for 7 hours straight, and on top of that ridiculous amounts of homework. That is probably the main reason I don't even study for my tests, just no motivation I just hate high school. I still am doing well though, a few honors classes and a couple of APs and have a 3.85 GPA. But do you think I will like college a lot better only have to go to class for maybe 3-5 hours on the days I have class, a lesser load of homework, and especially if I keep myself organized and study maybe 2-3 hours a day will college be better for me? It seems really nice taking a class, then having a large break in between and going to your other class later. While having a lot of free time in there to get your studying done and to do whatever... Will I like college better and be much more motivated to try hard?

Yes.
 
I am a junior in high school and hate, I mean absolutely hate high school. I hate the fact that 5 days a week I have to go to stupid school for 7 hours straight, and on top of that ridiculous amounts of homework. That is probably the main reason I don't even study for my tests, just no motivation I just hate high school. I still am doing well though, a few honors classes and a couple of APs and have a 3.85 GPA. But do you think I will like college a lot better only have to go to class for maybe 3-5 hours on the days I have class, a lesser load of homework, and especially if I keep myself organized and study maybe 2-3 hours a day will college be better for me? It seems really nice taking a class, then having a large break in between and going to your other class later. While having a lot of free time in there to get your studying done and to do whatever... Will I like college better and be much more motivated to try hard?

Haha what? Where did you get this. High school was so easy work load wise and I also took AP and honors classes. I still would agree you will like it better than high school.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Who knows.

I liked high school better until my last year of college when I got involved with research and challenging classes.
 
I am a junior in high school and hate, I mean absolutely hate high school. I hate the fact that 5 days a week I have to go to stupid school for 7 hours straight, and on top of that ridiculous amounts of homework. That is probably the main reason I don't even study for my tests, just no motivation I just hate high school. I still am doing well though, a few honors classes and a couple of APs and have a 3.85 GPA. But do you think I will like college a lot better only have to go to class for maybe 3-5 hours on the days I have class, a lesser load of homework, and especially if I keep myself organized and study maybe 2-3 hours a day will college be better for me? It seems really nice taking a class, then having a large break in between and going to your other class later. While having a lot of free time in there to get your studying done and to do whatever... Will I like college better and be much more motivated to try hard?

Skip school and start studying for the MCAT.
 
Yes. I absolutely hated high school, but I LOVED college. I think that's how it is for a lot of people who hate high school, because many people hate high school due to the lack of freedom and the stressful social jungle. College is AMAZING.
 
I like college better in the sense that nobody is forcing me into the monotony of going to class for a fixed amount of time each day or to do pointless busy work. But in general I feel like college has brought me much more stress, compared to high school where anyone can just not give a **** and still do fine. There comes a point where the novelty (if there was any in the first place) wears off. I just want my goddamn degree.

tl;dr - I'm a cynic, so I would say they both suck. High school just sucks more.
 
It depends. I miss High school in the sense that homework counts as a large part of your grade.
 
Academically: I barely cracked open a book in High school and got straight A's. In college I had to study more for some classes, and almost nothing for others.

Other than academics, I hated High school because of all the snobby, judgmental kids (then again, this may just have been my HS).
 
I never knew what my GPA was in high school. I just made sure I had as much fun as possible. Ease up OP. Watch Dazed and Confused

Also: Azfuturedoc completed this thread in one word. Good ish 👍
 
College is certainly different. If you are aiming to be a pre-med, I wouldn't say it's easier than high school. I probably studied more my first semester of college than my entire 4 year high school career (Yes, I had a 4.0 GPA in highschool and I also have one in college). My first semester was hell. I had classes from 8:30 a.m. till 3 p.m. only to come home to about 7 hours of homework. It got a lot better after that, and I would really suggest not taking 18 credits of hard courses your first semester (stupid me for thinking college was going to be easy).
 
I am a junior in high school and hate, I mean absolutely hate high school. I hate the fact that 5 days a week I have to go to stupid school for 7 hours straight, and on top of that ridiculous amounts of homework. That is probably the main reason I don't even study for my tests, just no motivation I just hate high school. I still am doing well though, a few honors classes and a couple of APs and have a 3.85 GPA. But do you think I will like college a lot better only have to go to class for maybe 3-5 hours on the days I have class, a lesser load of homework, and especially if I keep myself organized and study maybe 2-3 hours a day will college be better for me? It seems really nice taking a class, then having a large break in between and going to your other class later. While having a lot of free time in there to get your studying done and to do whatever... Will I like college better and be much more motivated to try hard?

I think you'll hate upper divisional bios. I went to a college prep school private school, and i was still shaken initially by the work.
 
High school blows and is mostly about doing a thousand repetitions of one problem style until you remember how it's supposed to be solved.

College is awesome and is mostly about being smart in your classes, and usually contains fewer idiots. Only slightly fewer however.

Doing well in your high school classes is an enormous social liability. Doing well in your medical school pre-reqs can net you some tang if you play it right.

If I could do it all over again, I'd do even less work in high school and take as many recreational substances as possible.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Time, and tedium seem to be your only problems with highschool, so yes, you will love college. Even the days where you are going from 8:30 am to 6 pm with back to back classes are far better than highschool. The classes are a lot more lax, and there is very little homework. Plus, because you are pursuing something you like you will not mind studying. Not that you need to do a ton of studying as a freshmen.

In short, Yes!
 
Depending on where you go/what you study it could be much more difficult. Give yourself time to adjust, do something fun besides study, and I think you'll enjoy it much more.