Will I still have a chance at Dental School with this Institutional Action?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ash1431

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm currently a sophomore, who plans on applying to dental school next summer. I suffered with a history of binge eating disorder, and this past summer, I made the very unwise and stupid mistake of stealing food from other people. This was because I did not have enough money to pay for all the food that I needed to eat. My eating disorder isn't an excuse for stealing; I know what I did was very wrong and I am completely ashamed for my actions.

A student turned me in to the university, and after explaining my case, the Judicial officer gave me a warning and required me to attend counseling for my eating disorder. I have done exactly that and my eating disorder is pretty much all treated now. However, I obviously am still considered a criminal for having stolen food, and that will have to be disclosed in all of my medical applications.

I plan on disclosing all the details of this incident as well as what I have done to treat my eating disorder and how I have grown and healed significantly from the experience. However, I am terrified that this one incident will forever blacklist me from all of the dental schools. I fear that they will see my application and automatically consider me as not only a thief but also a mentally ill individual.

I really want to show them that I have grown (and I truly have), but will they be understanding? Should I try getting a letter from my counselor or judicial director advocating for my case? I have worked extremely hard in school and have almost a perfect academic record. I don't want my entire dream to be crushed from one stupid problem I had to deal with.

Members don't see this ad.

Honestly, no one here will know for sure. Do your best to explain your case and hope for the best. Gl.

However, I obviously am still considered a criminal for having stolen food, and that will have to be disclosed in all of my medical applications.

I plan on disclosing all the details of this incident as well as what I have done to treat my eating disorder and how I have grown and healed significantly from the experience.

I would double and triple check that any notation or charge has been made as to the stealing of food. Find out if an official report was filed, if not
I would not mention it. Also may benefit you to get involved volunteering for an organization that deals with eating disorders.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm currently a sophomore, who plans on applying to dental school next summer. I suffered with a history of binge eating disorder, and this past summer, I made the very unwise and stupid mistake of stealing food from other people. This was because I did not have enough money to pay for all the food that I needed to eat. My eating disorder isn't an excuse for stealing; I know what I did was very wrong and I am completely ashamed for my actions.

A student turned me in to the university, and after explaining my case, the Judicial officer gave me a warning and required me to attend counseling for my eating disorder. I have done exactly that and my eating disorder is pretty much all treated now. However, I obviously am still considered a criminal for having stolen food, and that will have to be disclosed in all of my medical applications.

I plan on disclosing all the details of this incident as well as what I have done to treat my eating disorder and how I have grown and healed significantly from the experience. However, I am terrified that this one incident will forever blacklist me from all of the dental schools. I fear that they will see my application and automatically consider me as not only a thief but also a mentally ill individual.

I really want to show them that I have grown (and I truly have), but will they be understanding? Should I try getting a letter from my counselor or judicial director advocating for my case? I have worked extremely hard in school and have almost a perfect academic record. I don't want my entire dream to be crushed from one stupid problem I had to deal with.
For some reason I find this very funny lol. I binge eat maybe 1000-1500 calories some days in 1 meal after a workout, plus after a fasting period of like 16 hours, but only eat what I have, you dont see me sneaking around and taking some grub of my mates plate : ) . Binge eating can be controlled, and by virtue of you stealing someones food, it is apparent you give into temptations. You need to control it, and it seems as if you have grown by what you said. To answer your question I doubt adcoms will care, its not like you stole his car and crashed it. Best of luck m8, you live and you learn : )

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 1 user
I remember reading your post on the pre med forum. I think the advice you were given there applies here as well. Dental school is just as much as a professional school as medical school. The ad coms from the med schools who gave you advice gave you good advice. Spend the next couple of years healing and showing ad coms that you have gotten past this. I know it's not what you want to hear, but you need to do what's best for your health.

Edit: Looks like you used a new account to post this, but this was the exact post you had in the pre med forum a couple of days ago.

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/thr...getting-accepted-into-medical-school.1180190/

There is the link to the original thread.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes, I posted this in the Pre-med forum as well but received more negative and unhelpful replies than I wanted to hear. I wanted to hear the opinions of a wider population so I came here. But thanks for all your help!

I would double and triple check that any notation or charge has been made as to the stealing of food. Find out if an official report was filed, if not
I would not mention it. Also may benefit you to get involved volunteering for an organization that deals with eating disorders.

Unfortunately it is most definitely on my permanent record so there's no way to change that. And I'm actually signing up to be an online eating disorder mentor so hopefully I will not only help my mentee recover but also myself become a stronger individual :)

But my concern is will adcoms view eating disorders in a negative light, even when I explain my full recovery? Plus, it's in combination with food theft, so I'm afraid that would make it look even worse.

Last edited:
Yes, but you need to know what it EXACTLY says on your record. You're not a criminal...you only received minor discipline from your university. And do whatever you can to avoid mentioning psych issues on your application. You must portray yourself as stable and able to handle the stress of medical/dental school (and of your future career). You will dig your own grave if you choose to talk about your eating disorder. You're certainly not the only one with psych issues entering a healthcare profession, but putting it in an application is a huge red flag.

It says I will be seeing a therapist to address any mental health issues that may have caused the behavior. It doesn't specifically say eating disorder, but it for sure mentions mental health issues. If I choose to omit that in my explanation but the med/dental school asks to see my record, wouldn't that be even worse because it'll look as if I'm trying to hide my past mental health problems?

If you don't have a criminal record then you are not a criminal. Why are you referring to youself as a criminal? You were reprimanded by your school, which is bad, but not the end of the world. You will need to disclose the administrative action to AADSAS and future dental schools, but I would be very surprised if this kept you out of school. People get into medical and dental school with actual criminal histories every year. The nature of the crime is what matters most to schools and future licensing committees. If this had been a violent or sexual crime, then you would likely be hosed. What you did is not likely to keep you entirely out of professional school.

If you don't have a criminal record then you are not a criminal. Why are you referring to youself as a criminal? You were reprimanded by your school, which is bad, but not the end of the world. You will need to disclose the administrative action to AADSAS and future dental schools, but I would be very surprised if this kept you out of school. People get into medical and dental school with actual criminal histories every year. The nature of the crime is what matters most to schools and future licensing committees. If this had been a violent or sexual crime, then you would likely be hosed. What you did is not likely to keep you entirely out of professional school.

Thank you for your advice. But I'm just worried that disclosing my past mental health history would keep me out since pre-health professionals absolute do not want to admit someone who may be mentally unstable. Plus, theft is considered a pretty serious offense, even if it was just food. So don't you think that combination is deadly for my admission chances? :(

Thank you for your advice. But I'm just worried that disclosing my past mental health history would keep me out since pre-health professionals absolute do not want to admit someone who may be mentally unstable. Plus, theft is considered a pretty serious offense, even if it was just food. So don't you think that combination is deadly for my admission chances? :(

1.) You are not required to disclose your mental health history. It is my understanding that no one except for sensitive government agencies can demand that you disclose it (CIA, top secret clearance, FBI, etc.)
2.) You have received good advice. Go with it. You will probably be just fine if you apply broadly enough.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
1.) You are not required to disclose your mental health history. It is my understanding that no one except for sensitive government agencies can demand that you disclose it (CIA, top secret clearance, FBI, etc.)
2.) You have received good advice. Go with it. You will probably be just fine if you apply broadly enough.

How can I not disclose it if it's on my charge letter along with my sanctions? I don't think they can selectively omit the part about my mental issues if it's part of my sanctions...

What is a charge letter? The med schools would only see a disciplinary record from your dean's office. And this is after they offer you an acceptance. If the mental issues are listed there, they may see it, but legally they cannot ask you to explain yourself.

You seem really anxious about this, so let me divulge a little bit about myself. I was accused of rape while I was in school. The disciplinary process was unfair (and absolutely illegal), but I must be the first male student who was ultimately successful in defending himself against false accusations. I still got into many dental schools, no questions asked, even though the restraining orders were in my record. I went to Hell and back...your issues are minor compared to what mine were. They won't care whether you have an eating disorder, but they will care if you're crazy enough to obsess about it in your application. Don't worry.

It's a letter that states the violation I have been charged with (theft/attempted theft) and the sanctions that came along with my actions. Unfortunately, I believe med/dental schools usually ask for these documents before they even offer interviews in case the applicant lied to make his/her violation seem more benign/innocent. I'm just scared my application will be tossed out before they even look beyond my name and institutional action.

But thanks for sharing your story; that definitely motivated me to not give up on the pre-health track. I'm sorry you had to go through that false accusation, but huge congratz for getting into all the dental schools!

Last edited:
What is a charge letter? The med schools would only see a disciplinary record from your dean's office. And this is after they offer you an acceptance. If the mental issues are listed there, they may see it, but legally they cannot ask you to explain yourself.

You seem really anxious about this, so let me divulge a little bit about myself. I was accused of rape while I was in school. The disciplinary process was unfair (and absolutely illegal), but I must be the first male student who was ultimately successful in defending himself against false accusations. I still got into many dental schools, no questions asked, even though the restraining orders were in my record. I went to Hell and back...your issues are minor compared to what mine were. They won't care whether you have an eating disorder, but they will care if you're crazy enough to obsess about it in your application. Don't worry.
The most important part of your story: Did you disclose it under the section in AADSAS? If so how did you manage to explain it? "I was accused of rape and eventually the case was discharged" sounds bad no matter how you phrase it.

Most rape cases have the guilty until proven innocent stigma, whether that's fair or not.

What you are saying is true, that schools cannot disclose randomly to any randos that call up the school and ask "hey, can I get a copy of Cello's mental health history or academic transcript?" Even if they are your mom they cannot. However when you apply through AADSAS, you signed your life away and allow any schools you apply to to access FULLY to anything that your school may provide, and that includes the mental health history.

It's a letter that states the violation I have been charged with (theft/attempted theft) and the sanctions that came along with my actions. Unfortunately, I believe med/dental schools usually ask for these documents before they even offer interviews in case the applicant lied to make his/her violation seem more benign/innocent. I'm just scared my application will be tossed out before they even look beyond my name and institutional action.

But thanks for sharing your story; that definitely motivated me to not give up on the pre-health track. I'm sorry you had to go through that false accusation, but huge congratz for getting into all the dental schools!
I would disclose it, and give your best account of the case. You and I know for a fact they will get your reports when your school submits final transcripts/reports/deans letters and see it anyways. The question is would you want to play the game of getting in the school without disclosing, then have them find out, then worry if they will rescind you?

What you are saying is true, that schools cannot disclose randomly to any randos that call up the school and ask "hey, can I get a copy of Cello's mental health history or academic transcript?" Even if they are your mom they cannot. However when you apply through AADSAS, you signed your life away and allow any schools you apply to to access FULLY to anything that your school may provide, and that includes the mental health history.

That may include the mental health history your school is aware of.

I would disclose it, and give your best account of the case. You and I know for a fact they will get your reports when your school submits final transcripts/reports/deans letters and see it anyways. The question is would you want to play the game of getting in the school without disclosing, then have them find out, then worry if they will rescind you?

It's not that I'm not disclosing my case. I'm telling them I stole food, but whether I tell them the reason behind it should not be considered in my final admission status since I'm not technically forced by the law to do so. However, I also have taken great steps to showing my recovery such as becoming an online mentor for those with eating disorders. So I really have no clue whether disclosing my ED with the theft and trying to prove that I've healed is better than simply owning up to my theft...sigh

No, they request an official disciplinary record from your college. This is a specific document. You need to request to see it. (Under FERPA, you have a right to access it in a reasonable amount of time.) If you received a "warning," it is possible that it is not on your record.

I actually went in to look at it last week, and the warning is on there along with the 'seek mental health counseling' unfortunately. But I'm in the process of seeing if I can get the mental health part removed