Will it be a problem taking Biochem online?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bears1992

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I did my postbac at a state school in my area but they do not have Biochem. The nearest school that offers Biochem is 1.5 hours away which is tough with a full time job. My plan was to list Biochem as future on my app, and then if I get accepted to a school that requires it, take it during the Spring semester. Problem for me is I just got a secondary from UNECOM which states that Biochem must be completed before January 2018 so I can't really wait to find out if I'll need it or not.

My other option is taking it online. Are there any DO schools that do not accept online credits?

Also, I was planning on taking it online at UNECOM but I see the class is listed as a 1000 level course. I have a few schools that require a 3000 level science elective, can I use UNECOMs biochem for that prereq?

Members don't see this ad.

i think it would be a school by school issue, meaning some schools dont mind online while some do. Have you checked each schools website? That'd be my best guess

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I did my postbac at a state school in my area but they do not have Biochem. The nearest school that offers Biochem is 1.5 hours away which is tough with a full time job. My plan was to list Biochem as future on my app, and then if I get accepted to a school that requires it, take it during the Spring semester. Problem for me is I just got a secondary from UNECOM which states that Biochem must be completed before January 2018 so I can't really wait to find out if I'll need it or not.

My other option is taking it online. Are there any DO schools that do not accept online credits?

Also, I was planning on taking it online at UNECOM but I see the class is listed as a 1000 level course. I have a few schools that require a 3000 level science elective, can I use UNECOMs biochem for that prereq?

The only one I can think of off the top of my head is NYITCOM.. I think most do accept online credits from accredited sites like UNE's.

I have a few schools that require a 3000 level science elective, can I use UNECOMs biochem for that prereq?
Probably not. Those schools wouldn't accept my Health Science 300 level class labeled "Clinical Immunology" as meeting the requirement for a 300 level science elective. I doubt they'll accept a 100 level. I can't imagine how they're going to make biochem a 100 level class though lol.

Honestly it depends on how your school writes it on your transcript. I took a couple online courses, but they are listed no differently on my transcript. The only difference is the section number for the class starts with a "0" instead of an integer. Therefore, if the school your applying to doesn't know the way your university lists online classes, they might not even know (unless it blatantly says "online" on your transcript).

The only one I can think of off the top of my head is NYITCOM.. I think most do accept online credits from accredited sites like UNE's.
I talked to NYIT admissions and they accept online courses to meet pre-requisites. But the majority of your degree must be obtained in-person.

That's a tough one and may be school dependent. Its a lot safer not to.

For biochem, no one cares. UNE's biochem is pretty rigorous, its not exactly taking an easy way out.

If you did a whole postbac online, I'm sure it would be more of an issue.

I'm not 100% sure, but I believe I asked a medical school if I was able to take any science pre-reqs online and they told me "no". It was a long time ago though.

I did a lot of reserach on the subject before applying. All DO, most MD accept most prereqs online but discourage. Virtually everyone accepts UNE's biochem because its very rigorous.

MSAR lists whether they do or don't, most do or case-by-case.

Ya, I would say if the OP has the choice, go for in-class. If they absolutely can't, they should contact the schools directly first and ask.