Will it look bad if I focus my PS on my native country?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

retraction

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I'm a junior and I am from Afghanistan. I am heavily invested in Afghanistan and I fly there every summer to work with organizations (World Bank and UNICEF specifically). I genuinely care about Afghanistan since almost all my family lives there, or I wouldn't be risking my life every summer. I do a lot of things ranging from giving presentations to villagers or just helping out with some projects. It's not all strictly medical.

That being said, I am a US citizen and I volunteer here a lot as well. I have like 300 volunteer hours at a clinic and I still go there every week. It's hard to explain, but I am patriotic to both the US and Afghanistan, it's just that Afghanistan needs my immediate help.

I just don't wanna sound like some fob that barely speaks English or whatever. My major is also in Middle Eastern Studies haha.

What do you guys think?

Members don't see this ad.

I think I'd focus on the Afghanistan stuff because it's very unique.

Were you born in Afghanistan?

If yes, it would be a great topic for a PS, certainly more unique than the hundreds of applicants out there who write about their grandma's trip to the hospital 15 years ago.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I was actually born in Pakistan because at the time, the Taliban was in power and my family fled to Pakistan.

I think I'd rather read about this than some rehash about volunteering, shadowing, etc. I would just make it clear that you still want to practice in the US as well

Agree 200% with my learned colleague

Your PS should explain your motivation, commitment, and the "why" you want to be a doctor. From your background as both a refugee and immigrant, it appears that is the driving force behind your decision. Therefore, it certainly would be prominent in your PS as well as make an impression on an adcom

I think this is a great it. It will make a good impression. But to be honest, I didn't read your post. I just read the first line or 3. But talking about going back there and wanting to work there and setting up a medical school for orphans will get you accepted everywhere.

Agree 200% with my learned colleague

Umm, I'd say the refugee/immigrant story is getting a little tired. I'd say have that be the background context to the cool stuff you do in Afghanistan now.

Reactions: 1 user
Your sarcasm filter is set way too high.

I know here at SDN we like to tease those stories and I'm sure as an adcom you're sick of reading them over and over again, but not everyone is "lucky" enough to be a refugee, have a disabling neurological disorder and overcame it, born as an urban poor youth growing up with gang violence and escaping the hood, etc. You know, all the things I'm sure adcom's eat up... But for some, their grandmother or parent getting cancer and dying may have indeed been one of the most troubling experiences in their young lives and a major motivation to pursue medicine. I understand it's all about phrasing and context and to make it a PERSONAL statement and not about their family member but rather their experience and I give that advice when I read personal statements, but to trivialize it is insulting and I'm kind of angry that as an adcom you have that attitude. What do you do? Just read a PS that talks about their parent dying and go "not this **** again! ugh why can't they *different* experiences motivate them to go into medicine." Just because it isn't sexy doesn't mean it's not entirely valid at all. Just as not everyone who has a sick parent or grandparent wants to pursue medicine, not every refugee or urban youth wants to practice medicine and everyone's reason is valid, regardless of how "generic" you think it may be. I sometimes think adcom's forget they're reading a bunch of 20 year old something's personal statements from a variety of backgrounds and I would hope they are judged by their writing skill and their logic behind reasons listed and not the quality of **** life has thrown at them. /rant

I'm not upset at you Goro or anything, you're one of the most incredible resources here at SDN, but your comment rubbed me a little wrong and I hope I got my point across correctly. Thank you for all your contributions.

Kid can't take a joke/criticism. Not going to survive clinical years. Auto rejxn. Amirite goro-kun?

I know here at SDN we like to tease those stories and I'm sure as an adcom you're sick of reading them over and over again, but not everyone is "lucky" enough to be a refugee, have a disabling neurological disorder and overcame it, born as an urban poor youth growing up with gang violence and escaping the hood, etc. You know, all the things I'm sure adcom's eat up... But for some, their grandmother or parent getting cancer and dying may have indeed been one of the most troubling experiences in their young lives and a major motivation to pursue medicine. I understand it's all about phrasing and context and to make it a PERSONAL statement and not about their family member but rather their experience and I give that advice when I read personal statements, but to trivialize it is insulting and I'm kind of angry that as an adcom you have that attitude. What do you do? Just read a PS that talks about their parent dying and go "not this **** again! ugh why can't they *different* experiences motivate them to go into medicine." Just because it isn't sexy doesn't mean it's not entirely valid at all. Just as not everyone who has a sick parent or grandparent wants to pursue medicine, not every refugee or urban youth wants to practice medicine and everyone's reason is valid, regardless of how "generic" you think it may be. I sometimes think adcom's forget they're reading a bunch of 20 year old something's personal statements from a variety of backgrounds and I would hope they are judged by their writing skill and their logic behind reasons listed and not the quality of **** life has thrown at them. /rant

I'm not upset at you Goro or anything, you're one of the most incredible resources here at SDN, but your comment rubbed me a little wrong and I hope I got my point across correctly. Thank you for all your contributions.
Triggered !

I've noticed at times on SDN that some posters seem to think that the PS is some sort of piss ing contest as to who has the osteopathic horrible woes, like the old TV show Queen for a Day.

Kid can't take a joke/criticism. Not going to survive clinical years. Auto rejxn. Amirite goro-kun?

I've noticed at times on SDN that some posters seem to think that the PS is some sort of piss ing contest as to who has the osteopathic horrible woes, like the old TV show Queen for a Day.

That's why I get paid somewhat big bucks to help parents/applicants keep it real for their personal statements.

Far better than the "Gramma got cancer" stories

Sarcasm or not, I think clippers' concerns are valid, since apparently there are some adcoms who truly are bored, exhausted, and even annoyed of reading these essays, as if the personal statement is supposed to have an objective in impressing adcoms as opposed to honestly answering "Why Medicine?".

And sorry for the unintentional run-on :p

Thank you. I didn't think my post was so inflammatory.

Sarcasm or not, I think clippers' concerns are valid, since apparently there are some adcoms who truly are bored, exhausted, and even annoyed of reading these essays, as if the personal statement is supposed to have an objective in impressing adcoms as opposed to honestly answering "Why Medicine?".

And sorry for the unintentional run-on :p

So I lived in the US from ages 3-8. Then I moved to Afghanistan for 4 years, from 4th grade to 8th grade. I came back to the US and I did high school here.

I made a lot of friends in Afghanistan in that period and of course I was very close to my aunt's, uncles, cousins, etc.

You would think it's not much but if you lived in the US, moved to 3rd world ****hole, then came back to "Paradise", you will understand my motivation.

A big reason was the son of my school's principle (American) was killed giving vaccines to kids and I was like damn. He ain't even Afghan and he out here giving vaccines and he died for a country he wasn't even part of.

But yeah, many reasons.