Will it make a significant difference if I complete research before or after applying but before attending to medical school?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
D

deleted937918

I am interested in completing some undergraduate research. I am currently in between my sophomore and junior years. I plan on taking the MCAT next Spring (2020) to and apply for medical school that summer. Over my junior year, I will be studying for the MCAT and working part-time. I don't know if I will have enough time to complete that research during my junior year. I'm under the impression that doing research looks good on a resume if a student is interested in it. I'm not just trying to do it as a resume booster, but I also would like myself to be as competitive as possible. I'm worried that if I wait until my senior year to do any significant research that medical schools will already have evaluated me, and I won't get any extra boost to my competitiveness. Should I wait till my senior year or try to fit it into my schedule now?

Members don't see this ad.

I am interested in completing some undergraduate research. I am currently in between my sophomore and junior years. I plan on taking the MCAT next Spring (2020) to and apply for medical school that summer. Over my junior year, I will be studying for the MCAT and working part-time. I don't know if I will have enough time to complete that research during my junior year. I'm under the impression that doing research looks good on a resume if a student is interested in it. I'm not just trying to do it as a resume booster, but I also would like myself to be as competitive as possible. I'm worried that if I wait until my senior year to do any significant research that medical schools will already have evaluated me, and I won't get any extra boost to my competitiveness. Should I wait till my senior year or try to fit it into my schedule now?
If you want a research experience to strengthen your med school application, either fit it in now or change your timeline to apply a year or more later. Only the research hours you've completed will be taken into account by adcomms.

Reactions: 5 users
Schools also value research differently. Depending on the type of school you are aiming for, it may not even be necessary to do research at all, and your time would be better spent doing some volunteering or clinical work. If you are aiming for the top, though, then get in some research before you apply.

Also, never stretch yourself too thin. If you feel like cramming in research could risk tanking your grades for a semester or two, then it may not be worth it. Be realistic with yourself about what you can handle.

Reactions: 2 users