Will MD anesthesia programs accept an AOA internship as PGY-1

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

hoosiergirl

New Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hello there. I'm a 3rd year osteopathic student and am planning to apply to MD anesthesia programs. I know that the PGY-1 requirement can be fulfilled by a transitional year or a year in medicine or surgery. However, I'm wondering if an AOA traditional internship will be accepted by MD programs as fulfilling the PGY-1 requirement. Also, are there any disadvantages to going about it this way? Thank you! 🙂
 
hoosiergirl said:
Hello there. I'm a 3rd year osteopathic student and am planning to apply to MD anesthesia programs. I know that the PGY-1 requirement can be fulfilled by a transitional year or a year in medicine or surgery. However, I'm wondering if an AOA traditional internship will be accepted by MD programs as fulfilling the PGY-1 requirement. Also, are there any disadvantages to going about it this way? Thank you! 🙂

Very program dependent. You will likely have to find that out by contacting the programs you are interested in specifically.
 
Most likely, yes. However you should check with individual programs because a Director might not be informed.

The important thing that programs are concerned about is whether or not you can sit for Anesthesiology Boards.

The requirements for Board certification stipulate that either the USMLE series or COMLEX series be completed.

The requirements also stipulate that ACGME or AOA internship years are acceptable. The AOA is specifically mentioned so there is no question about it- that an AOA internship is okay with the Board officials.

So if a program has a problem with an AOA internship, they may be ill-informed or have not had any DOs complete one before. Recall that many DOs do complete ACGME internships. There is no legitimate reason why a DO internship should be unacceptable.

I have many friends who are going into anesthesiology at good programs that are completing DO internships.

It should not be a big deal if you are a good candidate.

It is really easy to find all the rules and requirements. Just go to The American Board of Anesthesiology (the ABA) and look at the "Booklet of Information 2005." It lays all the requirments out for you. AOA internship is just fine (read for yourself) and lots of docs do them.

Good LucK.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
hoosiergirl said:
Hello there. I'm a 3rd year osteopathic student and am planning to apply to MD anesthesia programs. I know that the PGY-1 requirement can be fulfilled by a transitional year or a year in medicine or surgery. However, I'm wondering if an AOA traditional internship will be accepted by MD programs as fulfilling the PGY-1 requirement. Also, are there any disadvantages to going about it this way? Thank you! 🙂


I do not know of any programs that will not accept a DO-internship as their PGY-1 year. There may be exceptions, but I certainly never came across any.
 
hoosiergirl said:
Hello there. I'm a 3rd year osteopathic student and am planning to apply to MD anesthesia programs. I know that the PGY-1 requirement can be fulfilled by a transitional year or a year in medicine or surgery. However, I'm wondering if an AOA traditional internship will be accepted by MD programs as fulfilling the PGY-1 requirement. Also, are there any disadvantages to going about it this way? Thank you! 🙂

Most programs should accept a DO internship, especially since you are not allowed to be licensed in several states without having done one. Like everyone else said, check with the program when you are interviewing. When I was on the interview trail, nobody told me it wouldn't satisfy the requirement and I actually ended up doing a DO internship.
 
Just remember you will be limited to programs that offer advanced positions and will be excluding yourself from programs that have only categorical positions.
 
Sugar72 said:
Just remember you will be limited to programs that offer advanced positions and will be excluding yourself from programs that have only categorical positions.

not necessarily true. for example, at penn state we accept pgy-1 osteopathic grads into our program for the four-year categorical anesthesiology residency. they are able to fulfill their osteopathic intership requirements within that 4-yr timeframe and within our program. and, we still do have a limited number of 3-yr traditional advanced (i.e. starting pgy-2) spots through which we also accept d.o. graduates.