Will my major hurt me?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

amb25

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm pre-physical therapy, but getting my B.S. in Speech Pathology. Everyone I talk to that's pre-pt seems to be nutritional sciences, allied health, biology, etc. A lot of them act like a speech path/pre-pt route is the strangest thing ever which kinda makes me feel like crap to be truthful lol. Will the PT schools think it's weird and not take me seriously? I'm passionate about therapy (whether it's physical, speech, etc.) and that's one of the big reasons I picked speech path rather than getting a degree in something I don't care about. Input please?

Members don't see this ad.

No. If anything, I find that schools appreciate students who pursue a major that they are passionate about regardless of if that major is a cookie-cutter mold for the physical therapy profession. Kudos to you for following your passion! Make sure that you take the pre-reqs, and the rest is up to you.

Last edited:
I think it will make your application stand out and maybe even give you an edge over other applicants! :0)

Members don't see this ad :)
hell freaking no. All it matters is that you do well in your prereq courses and get your hours in. I am a history major and I feel that it makes me stand out and raises the programs eyebrows when they look at my file at interviews. It shows you really wanted to be a dpt

you could major in underwater basket weaving but as long as you have all your pre reqs you're good.

That was my favorite class in college right next to differential equations!

In my school research, I think I have only seen one school that requires a science major, and I can't even remember which one it was. I know I crossed it off my list for some reason though, so it can't be that good.

All they require are the prereqs. You can do something worthless like women's studies or fine art and they'll still take you as long as you have a good GRE and gpa.

If anything, your application might stand out because you'll have more different experiences on top of just the same generic in/out patient settings that everyone else has

I understand what your point was, but those two subjects are far from worthless.

He probably meant in "average annual income", to which I agree. :D

To each their own!