Will my old grades hurt me?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cathands36

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi Folks,

Wasn't sure if this post would be applicable for the non-trad sub forum, but either way, I'm hoping for your helpful input.

After dropping out of college for personal reasons about 9 years ago, I decided that I would return to school earlier last year. While I was in school 9 years ago, I did very poorly and yielded a 2.42 GPA (about 39 credits, 1 D and 1 F). Upon returning to school earlier last year, I've obtained a 3.94 GPA (including my sciences) and expecting to graduate in 2017 with a continued 3.9X GPA.

I understand that AMCAS looks at all of your records from every institution and I'm wondering if my poor GPA from 9-10 years ago will come back and haunt me even though I had these credits transferred to my current university (I have not taken the MCAT yet but I'm preparing to do so in the early spring). How will medical schools look at these old grades?

I'm looking forward to hearing your thoughts. Thanks in advance.

Members don't see this ad.

Transfer Cumulative: 2.42 (The grades from about 9-10 years ago)
Combined Cumulative (Transfers grades are n/a): 3.94 (My grades currently)
Projected GPA (Using AMCAS calc): 3.4x

I currently live in the northeast (NJ/NY) and have approx. 1000 clinical and research hours since having returned to school.

Members don't see this ad :)