Will Quitting My Job Hurt My Application?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

curlytop

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've been working at my university's hospital for about 1.5 years. I put it on my AMCAS and have definitely gained a lot of experience to talk about at interviews.

I've been unhappy there for awhile (the work is not bad and I love my fellow student employees, but the administration is not...pleasant). I also desperately need the time I'm supposed to be at work for my public health research. I want to know if leaving this job but not replacing it with any other clinical experiences will hurt my application?

I already have 2 other paying jobs that I love more than anything, so money isn't a concern for me. This was just about experience, which I think I have.

Also, if this influences your opinions: it's on my AMCAS but I haven't positioned it anywhere as a huge central focus. I have an acceptance I'm fine with but 5 other interviews are pending, and 9 silent schools. I plan on using my public health research to provide an update later on.

Thoughts?

Members don't see this ad.

I wouldn't worry about it. You've got one acceptance in the bag. Quitting isn't really going to be much of an issue. It sounds like you've got plenty of clinical experience. Further, since you've already applied, you don't even really have to mention having quit unless somewhat explicitly asks about the position right now.

Thanks! That's what I was thinking, about the mentioning I quit only if I'm explicitly asked. I guess I can't really explain why I'm so reluctant to leave it...

Members don't see this ad :)
I wouldn't worry about it. 1.5 years is a pretty good time for clinical experience and it may be time to put your focus elsewhere...

Good luck with your other interviews...

Thanks! I think I'll go ahead and do it then! Wow I'm so excited, like I'm about to dump such a burden (because I am).

If you're a traditional undergrad, I don't think adcoms care if you have a job or not.

Nope, it wont hurt ur app. I quit all my jobs after transferring to university. None of my interviewers even bothered to ask me why :)

If you have to explain it, do so in a positive sense ( eg "I was so excited about my research that I had to make more time for it.") as opposed to "I was unhappy for awhile and was glad to dump such a burden."

This is exactly the way I'd handle it if I needed to, although I worry an interviewer might interpret that as an inability to handle multiple responsibilities. I know...I worry a lot!

Thanks for the responses everyone. I'd love to hear more if anyone has something to share.:D