Will schools revoke admissions

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Sonya0810

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Guys, i am midway in biochem, while interviewing in dental schools. I did poorly on exam 1 50%. I talked to professor today and there is no way to get possibly B. i am thinking about W grade and retaking biochem next semester with dif. Prof. That way i will graduate on time with all prereq. I listed biochem though this semester on AADSAS. I am afraid schools can revoke admission after seeing W. what are your thoughts? And do i have to call the schools that i am interviwing telling them i am withdrowing? Thank you all!!!

Members don't see this ad.

Besides that second exam is on the day i have interview and he told me today that no make-ups are given.please advise me, so scared!

Besides that second exam is on the day i have interview and he told me today that no make-ups are given.please advise me, so scared!

if no make ups are given and you can't miss the interview, you have no choice but to withdraw obviously.
If you don't take that test, you are almost guaranteed an F or D, so at this point, you should withdraw.

However, I am not sure about the ramifications of doing it.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you for your Reply.Maybe i should call school i interviewed already asking them about it

Are professors even allowed to do this...?

Allowed to do what? It stated in the syllabus clearly- no make up exams are gived. And he confirmed it today when i asked him

Allowed to do what? It stated in the syllabus clearly- no make up exams are gived. And he confirmed it today when i asked him

That sucks, I'm sorry. I'd take the W.

Guys, thank you for your replies. I feel so bad, paid for the class and i am paying it myself - working. However, interviews are more important to me and i can retake it next semester. But so scared what schools will tell me when they see that W.

It sounds like a huge issue but I think taking a W would be the lesser of the two evils. Making up a class is a lot easier than making up an interview. As long as you don't have many W's or any I don't think it will be a big issue so long as you do it before you enter Dental school.

I am in the same situation as you but with an upper bio course. I had an interview on the day of the exam, all that time preparing wasted. I only withdrew from one other class before so I think it's fine and not too big of a deal. A "W" is bad if you have too many (4+). I plan to email an explanation along with my updated transcript during the academic update period.

I think if you explain that it's a dental school interview that you're missing the test for, he will let you reschedule for the next day or even the previous day. I've had quizzes on test days which are nowhere near as important but my teachers gladly let me come in a day early to take them. Study hard, see how you do if it's allowed and don't quit if you don't need to buy definitely get the W if it comes down to it.

It is not the mistakes that matter- it is how you respond to them. Things happen in life. Be strong and confident in your decisions. Schools won't discount you for that.

I don't believe you that the teacher won't let you reschedule a test because of an interview.

Members don't see this ad :)
I don't believe you that the teacher won't let you reschedule a test because of an interview.
Yeah because she's going to lie on SDN...?

Reactions: 1 user
Yeah because she's going to lie on SDN...?

Because it doesn't make sense, especially being an upper level class when people are most likely getting interviews.

Just imagine it going down. No teacher is going to say no.

Because it doesn't make sense, especially being an upper level class when people are most likely getting interviews.

Just imagine it going down. No teacher is going to say no.
You'd be surprised.

I find that hard to believe also, but could be wrong. Why would an upper level class not allow a makeup (or pre-take) test to facilitate a student to go to a professional school interview? That makes no sense.

Reactions: 2 users
I think what's not clear is if the OP specifically told the professor why the make up exam is needed. Asking if make up exams are allowed is different from asking for a make up exam with a legitimate reason. I've worked as a TA in a class with "No Make up Exams" written in the syllabus and the prof most definitely had make up exams (this is a class that allowed a test to be dropped even). Basically they put this in to avoid a flood of last minute requests due to people not being ready for a test. It Saves headaches.

So, if you have not, let the prof know why you are not going to be there for the test (As suggested above). Use the invite email from D school as evidence.

If you have done this, then take it to the head of the department or consult the premed/predental advisor at your school. You shouldn't have to withdraw for this.

Reactions: 1 users
I would talk to your school's dean. What he is doing should not be allowed under ANY institution. I'd ask the dean to allow you to take the exam and to give you an extension on the withdraw date to make a decision.
Also, you need to tell the admissions office that you are going to withdraw from the class (if you do - tell them why) and tell them you will retake the course the following semester.

I have one lab coordinator this semester that does not care either. I actually saw someone have a conversation with her about having a med interview on lab midterm day. Yup. She said, "I'm sorry, but I can't do anything about it". Pretty sure the girl had to take a 0. I even dropped a class beginning of the semester because that professor also said "no excuses" for missing speech days (it was a speech class).

If you can't pass it, I say drop and retake. It may hurt to withdraw now, but as you get older & is practicing dentistry, that W was just a small incident in undergrad. It won't affect you forever!

Last edited:
You all should raise a little hell. There are totally legit reasons to miss class and I think interviews at professional schools fall well within that category. If you can't get the higher ups at the school to listen you should at least put a scathing review of the situation on rate my professor and maybe save another predent the grief.

You all should raise a little hell. There are totally legit reasons to miss class and I think interviews at professional schools fall well within that category. If you can't get the higher ups at the school to listen you should at least put a scathing review of the situation on rate my professor and maybe save another predent the grief.
Completely agree with this. I would be going straight to a higher up.

I'm also wondering if there is a lack of communication going on like you said. I can't believe a professor wouldn't allow you to makeup a test if you explicitly say you have a professional school interview scheduled. Not reading the syllybus or he-said-she-said. Straight to the professor with an exact explanation of why you need to miss. Tests can be moved, a lot of time interviews can not.

from what i can read the OP has little cred coming off a strong 50% performance on exam one. if i were the prof i'd likely be inclined to scrub off a request from a student that hasn't shown they can learn the material. also, think about it, many professors are phd researchers that seem to hold healthcare providers in little regard as "technicians" who do not further basic scientific knowledge.

i'd try to reschedule the interview out of conflict with biochem, and concentrate on finishing the class as strongly as possible.

All of my syllabi say no make ups and those professors have all let me move things around for interviews after I explained what I'm doing. I'm really curious exactly how the OP explained this to their prof.

Guys, thank you for all your replies! Yes, i emailed my professor an interview invitation asking to allow me to make it up. He repeated that no make-ups are allowed and i should reschelue the interview with the school. Besides that my advisor told me today that last year 23 students out of a 100 passed the class. I will be calling monday trying to reschedule my interview with the school, but it will be post december. However, i don't know if i should continue with this professor. I have 6 more pre dec interviews to attend and also working. Really lost.

Guys, thank you for all your replies! Yes, i emailed my professor an interview invitation asking to allow me to make it up. He repeated that no make-ups are allowed and i should reschelue the interview with the school. Besides that my advisor told me today that last year 23 students out of a 100 passed the class. I will be calling monday trying to reschedule my interview with the school, but it will be post december. However, i don't know if i should continue with this professor. I have 6 more pre dec interviews to attend and also working. Really lost.
That sounds absolutely ridiculous. If you have more interviews and he's that non understanding I would take a w and retake the class later. I wouldn't make your interview post December because going to your interview when it's scheduled is more important (as long as you can retake the class in the spring)

I'd take the W. The prof sounds like a douche. Rescheduling the interview for post-December might hurt you in the long run. Plus you can explain the biochemistry W in your interviews stating the prof is unwilling to work around professional school interviews (this will emphasize a professor problem and not a bad grade problem) and that you'll be re-taking in the spring.

Reactions: 2 users
I was in a similar situation (biochem) and professor would not let me make up the test. So my solution was to reschedule my interview date and I did well on my test in biochem, got my interview done... now just waiting on December decision.

That's bull**** who do these professors think they are wtf?! There's more important things in life than a damn exam. They're probably just pissed that you guys will be making more than them in a few years and that they'll have to call you doctor and ****. Some people just envy, I just don't think professors should be those people, those professors should lose their positions and careers because they're supposed to help the student, not be an obstacle in his/her path.

**change word in stars to 'stool'

My bad sdn I didn't know we couldn't say ****

That's bull**** who do these professors think they are wtf?! There's more important things in life than a damn exam. They're probably just pissed that you guys will be making more than them in a few years and that they'll have to call you doctor and ****. Some people just envy, I just don't think professors should be those people, those professors should lose their positions and careers because they're supposed to help the student, not be an obstacle in his/her path.

**change word in stars to 'stool'
From my experience, teachers who are adamant about no makeups are like that because they don't want to deal with the hassle of rescheduling dates for MANY individual students. Mind you, all the teachers that do this are usually upper BIO science professors so they say they know a lot of us are going to run into conflict beginning of the semester.

I wish they were more understanding for the students, but at the same time I sort of understand their position too.

From my experience, teachers who are adamant about no makeups are like that because they don't want to deal with the hassle of rescheduling dates for MANY individual students. Mind you, all the teachers that do this are usually upper BIO science professors so they say they know a lot of us are going to run into conflict beginning of the semester.

I wish they were more understanding for the students, but at the same time I sort of understand their position too.
Nah. That's why they keep office hours.