Will taking my prereqs in CC prepare me adequately for the MCAT (content wise)?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Rn2MD93

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am currently working as a nurse and I just started a DYI postback to complete my prereqs through CC because I am on a tight budget. My UG gpa was 3.8, BPCgpa was 3.7. I was wondering if taking my prereqs in CC would hinder my chances on getting a good score on MCAT, even though I excelled at them. Thanks for the feedback.

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Yes and no. In my experience, I did ok on the MCAT by just taking the prereqs. I ended up with a 511. However, I do agree that the MCAT is a lot about self prep and discipline. I personally like next step test prep but that’s my preference. I’d still recommend taking biochem at the very least before taking it though.

How does a CC hinder you? Both a CC and a uni have a chance at dealing students a poor hand. The effort you put into your studies matters far more. I took my science courses at a CC and my chem/phys and bio sections were my two highest scoring sections.

I just think the MCAT is such a different beast from any course or test. For example, I missed a perfect score on the organic chemistry ACS by 1 point, which put me in the 100th percentile nationwide. I took the toughest Ochem prof at my school and aced her class. I went on to become an Ochem tutor for my school. Of course, I knew the basic background information needed for the organic chemistry portion of the MCAT, but the manner in which that information was asked for is wholly different from the way any of my courses or even the ACS asked me to regurgitate it.

The MCAT typically asks very simple questions....as long as you decipher what the question is really asking. This is a skill I feel you will only get from doing MCAT passages. Yes, there is a percentage of the MCAT that is pure rote memorization, but I think those questions are usually such esoteric knowledge that you will either know them or you won't.

Reactions: 1 user
In terms of the MCAT, I don't think it matters as long as you are self-disciplined and can get the most out of your coursework. Whether CC or 4 year, the vast majority of your preparations for the MCAT will be through self-study (even if guided by a formal tutoring program). In that sense, I'd think of undergraduate courses as merely being prep for your MCAT preparations. A good foundation from your undergraduate courses will help you study efficiently for the MCAT, but it won't substitute for focused, test-specific MCAT prep, at least for most people.

Reactions: 1 user
I took bio and gen chem at the CC and took the MCAT immediately after finals. I felt that the CC courses prepared very well for the MCAT as compared to 4-year courses I had taken previously. The CC courses focus on core material and concepts whereas the 4-year courses may go more into minutae that will not be tested on the MCAT.