Will Texas Medical Board allow me to obtain a license with an expunged record?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

xnmed16

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I had two misdemeanor domestic violence charges on my then-girlfriend with assault with bodily injury and unlawful restraint in 2006. Unlawful restraint charge was dismissed as a result of assault charge resulting in conviction via deferred prosecution with no contest. After meeting the agreement terms, assault with bodily injury was dismissed and eventually expunged in 2009. I personally ran my fingerprint and the records and the report showed offense information with FBI or Texas DPS in 2009 but did not show any criminal history when I ran it again in 2012 and 2018.

I planned to honestly answer all the questions but the supplemental form states the following and I am considering not disclosing anything about the charges: "While expunged offenses, arrests, tickets, or citations need not be disclosed, it is your responsibility to ensure the offense, arrest, ticket, or citation has, in fact, been expunged."

Please help me answer the following:
1. Have you ever been convicted? Does deferred prosecution equal conviction?
2. Have you ever been on probation? Does agreeing to not committing any other offense for a year and completing an anger management course equate to probation?

Members don't see this ad.

Did you recently match into a Texas program or are you planning to apply for next cycle?

In any event, I truly mean this in the best way possible but I read a few of your older posts and I think you should definitely call a lawyer familiar with the Texas medical board. Your career isn’t worth asking a bunch of amateurs on the internet to save the $500-1000 a lawyer would charge to help you, IMO.

Reactions: 1 users
There are lawyers specialized in just the Texas medical board. If you try to get your license solo, they'll turn you down. If they think you can be litigious by showing up with a lawyer, they'll back off

Reactions: 1 user
TX medical board seems to be notoriously difficult to deal with. Lawyer up ASAP if you want to practice in TX.

Last edited: