Will these grades matter???

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

FM_bradley

Reaction score
In 2012 (way before I was even considering med school), I attended a technical college for a marketing diploma. I ended up getting a great job opportunity and left, but didn’t drop my classes correctly, so I made 4 F’s. I’m back in college now, 5+ years later, and have a 3.85 (looking to improve it), but curious to know if those grades will matter by the time I apply? It was a tech school, not a university. I’ve made all A’s since starting college in 2017.

Members don't see this ad.

In 2012 (way before I was even considering med school), I attended a technical college for a marketing diploma. I ended up getting a great job opportunity and left, but didn’t drop my classes correctly, so I made 4 F’s. I’m back in college now, 5+ years later, and have a 3.85 (looking to improve it), but curious to know if those grades will matter by the time I apply? It was a tech school, not a university. I’ve made all A’s since starting college in 2017.

I would contact the technical college, and see if you can petition for those to be changed to W, since you left and it was an administrative issue. That way, it won't impact your GPA, and you can easily explain the W's.

If you can’t get the retroactive withdrawal, they will be factored into your GPA when you apply.

Members don't see this ad :)
I would contact the technical college, and see if you can petition for those to be changed to W, since you left and it was an administrative issue. That way, it won't impact your GPA, and you can easily explain the W's.

What is changed to a W? I’ll contact them soon.

Nope

A W means Withdrawal, meaning you left the class and no grade was tendered. A W does not affect your GPA. 4 F's, on the other hand, will significantly decrease your GPA. Remember, AMCAS recalculates your GPA to include all grades, including those F's!

Will they change it from an F to a W? Especially after this long? I’m not even sure who to reach out to, but I’ll definitely send some email and make some calls.

THIS is what matters:
. I’m back in college now, 5+ years later, and have a 3.85

Okay, thanks for clarifying for me. I have a 3.85 with my current college, but that’s not counting my old tech school’s grades. I’m going to go back to school full time soon, so hopefully I can bring my GPA up even more. Thanks for your help