Will this course count in my amcas GPA?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

full

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm a community college transfer student at a university.

I took a physics course at this university that I had already received course equivalent credit for. The universities enrollment did not stop me. However, it didn't include my grade (A) into the universities GPA. My transcripts do site ,however, that I got an A, but they just don't include the grade points from that A into my university GPA.

Will this grade count in my AMCAS GPA?

Members don't see this ad.

full said:
I'm a community college transfer student at a university.

I took a physics course at this university that I had already received course equivalent credit for. The universities enrollment did not stop me. However, it didn't include my grade (A) into the universities GPA. My transcripts do site ,however, that I got an A, but they just don't include the grade points from that A into my university GPA.

Will this grade count in my AMCAS GPA?

The A will infact count towards your AMCAS BCPM GPA. The university usually doesnt factor in GPA, from other schools, so students will have a pure GPA from their university, not a weighted and biased GPA with previous schools grades included (especially since they award your degree, where GPA counts for sometype of honors, eg. cum laude, magna cum laude, etc. And it wouldnt be fair for someone with a transcript saturated from other institutions grades to grad with or without honors, if they performed well, or not well at that institution). You may get your degree from a university, but the CC grades count just as much. You will send both transcripts to AMCAS and all your grades will be factored in with their respective class. Hope this helps.

No, maybe I didn't make it clear what is going on.

I took this course at the university and received an A in it. BUT, I took a course that the university considered to be equivalent to it at a community college.

My transcript at the university says "A" for this course, but does not include the "A" into my university GPA. It doesn't even count as units into my unit maximum. It says "Deduction for duplication of advanced standing" next to course (and as I already said, it also lists "A").

Here is an hypothetical example:

You take a course called "Psych 37: Gender relations" at a community college. THEN, after you transfer you take a course called "Psych 24: Gender and ethnic relations in the U.S" The university already said Psych 37 was equivalent to their psych 24, but you took 24 anyway.

Nevertheless, it counts. All college courses taken count, including exact repeats.