Will this make me more competitive?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pbj08

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I just wanted to receive some input of what my chances were for my current situation.
Undergrad sgpa (calculated through AADSAS) - ~2.5
DAT - 24AA/24TS/23PAT
Extracurriculars - Lots of clinical exposure through volunteering + worked as a DA

I'm also getting ready to start a SMP this fall - if I were to do well and get a grad gpa of >3.7+, would that be able to make my application competitive?

Thanks in advance.

Members don't see this ad.

Yes, but I'd shoot for a 4.0. The real question is how do you have a 2.5 and a 24 AA? That's a pretty large disconnect.

Reactions: 2 users
Yes, but I'd shoot for a 4.0. The real question is how do you have a 2.5 and a 24 AA? That's a pretty large disconnect.

Doesn't seem impossible. You can lack discipline during undergrad or go through a lot in life to tank your GPA that far, but doing extremely well on DAT is definitely possible with the right amount of studying with good prep material.

To OP, that will definitely help you get in, or I should say that doing well is probably required for you to be considered competitive.
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/threads/the-under-3-0-club-part-02.362708/

go over here for some motivation!

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Doesn't seem impossible. You can lack discipline during undergrad or go through a lot in life to tank your GPA that far, but doing extremely well on DAT is definitely possible with the right amount of studying with good prep material.

To OP, that will definitely help you get in, or I should say that doing well is probably required for you to be considered competitive.
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/threads/the-under-3-0-club-part-02.362708/

go over here for some motivation!

To add on to what 1passbbsSHAVE said, a large disconnect between GPA and DAT yes, but I can attest that it's definitely possible. Maybe OP had a good, solid, efficient time to study solely for the DAT during a few months (that was my case), or maybe the concepts just "clicked" from some point on. For example, I got a C+ and B- in orgo I and II as I was just blindly going through my courses, but after graduating and while watching Chad's videos my "aha" moment finally came and the concepts just "magically" became so easy to understand. Ended up with a 29 in OC.

Thank you all for the responses.

To add on to what 1passbbsSHAVE said, a large disconnect between GPA and DAT yes, but I can attest that it's definitely possible. Maybe OP had a good, solid, efficient time to study solely for the DAT during a few months (that was my case), or maybe the concepts just "clicked" from some point on. For example, I got a C+ and B- in orgo I and II as I was just blindly going through my courses, but after graduating and while watching Chad's videos my "aha" moment finally came and the concepts just "magically" became so easy to understand. Ended up with a 29 in OC.

Yes, I had a similar case as you plusalpha. I really buckled down when I started to study for my DAT. My studying habits for my DAT were entirely different from my undergrad (instead of just going through the motions, I made sure I fully understood each concept before moving on) Wow, a 29 in OC? You must have killed the DAT.

Hi everyone,

I just wanted to receive some input of what my chances were for my current situation.
Undergrad sgpa (calculated through AADSAS) - ~2.5
DAT - 24AA/24TS/23PAT
Extracurriculars - Lots of clinical exposure through volunteering + worked as a DA

I'm also getting ready to start a SMP this fall - if I were to do well and get a grad gpa of >3.7+, would that be able to make my application competitive?

Thanks in advance.

Would you mind sharing the SMP that you got in? Did they have a GPA cut-off for that program?

Thank you.

The nice thing about dent school application: your grad and ugrad GPA are separated, then both factor into your cumulative GPA. As long as your cumulative GPA is above the auto-screen (2.75 for most schools), then just knock your other parts of the application out of the park.

This is opposed to medical school GPA where auto-screening takes place at the undergrad level: you can have a 4.0 SMP but a lower than 3.0 ugrad GPA which is unfortunately grounds for auto-screening.