Will this nugget cause state medical license denial?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Moola

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey all, got a question. I am applying for an unrestricted MD license in a rather strict state. I have a blemish on my record regarding failing a pediatric elective in the final year of medical school almost 10 years ago. This was secondary to "careless and cavalier evaluation of patients." This was clearly not my intention to act in this manner; I had numerous family and research obligations and was applying for residency at the time. I simply got sidetracked and did not give the elective the attention it deserved. I was not suspended or put on probation, but the conduct committee investigated the matter, and made me remediate the course and complete counseling. I passed the remediation and completed med school on time and have completed 2 separate residencies and now in a fellowship with no problems at all and an otherwise clean record throughout. I even got a license from a rather lenient state board with minimal difficulty.

Whew...my question is twofold
1.) Could this possibly lead to denial of a license in the strictest boards given I disclose the matter?
2.) When explaining the situation in the license application, should I simply state the facts ("I failed the elective because X,Y,Z and completed remediation and counseling") or should I try to offer my side of the story and explain that I did not intend to act in the manner described above and that I simply too much on my plate and remediation/counseling helped me really pull through my PGY years?

Please share your input. Would love to hear it. Thanks y'all.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Hey all, got a question. I am applying for an unrestricted MD license in a rather strict state. I have a blemish on my record regarding failing a pediatric elective in the final year of medical school almost 10 years ago. This was secondary to "careless and cavalier evaluation of patients." This was clearly not my intention to act in this manner; I had numerous family and research obligations and was applying for residency at the time. I simply got sidetracked and did not give the elective the attention it deserved. I was not suspended or put on probation, but the conduct committee investigated the matter, and made me remediate the course and complete counseling. I passed the remediation and completed med school on time and have completed 2 separate residencies and now in a fellowship with no problems at all and an otherwise clean record throughout. I even got a license from a rather lenient state board with minimal difficulty.

Whew...my question is threefold
1.) Could this possibly lead to denial of a license in the strictest boards given I disclose the matter?
2.) When explaining the situation in the license application, should I simply state the facts ("I failed the elective because X,Y,Z and completed remediation and counseling") or should I try to offer my side of the story and explain that I did not intend to act in the manner described above and that I simply too much on my plate and remediation/counseling helped me really pull through my PGY years?

Please share your input. Would love to hear it. Thanks y'all.
1) It's been 10 years. You have since adequately completed a residency
2) Just the facts. I wouldn't even give that much detail. State "I failed elective XYZ my fourth year, completed remediation, and was graduated without any delays". If they want more details, they'll ask.

Reactions: 1 user
I have to write a letter for medical boards, hospital credentialing, etc. I copy and paste the body letter that says what happened (put on academic probation for failing the school's version of Step 2 CS, remediated, passed the real deal first try) for each place I send it. I also put the contact information for my school's office of academic affairs for the entity to contact the office if they have any questions. I've never had anyone question me further about this for hospitals or licensing (including in a state that makes it annoyingly difficult to get a license).

Edit: I did give it to an attending I trusted to read it before I sent it for feedback (make sure I put only the facts, didn't blame anything etc). I was a resident when I wrote the original.

Thx for responses. Ashers, do you send this letter automatically when u apply for a license or only when asked?

Thx for responses. Ashers, do you send this letter automatically when u apply for a license or only when asked?

Only when it says I have to send a letter of explanation which has been all but 1 license and every hospital/surgicenter where I've been credentialed.

With words like "careless and cavalier care of pts" in my FCVS report from my school, do you think this would cause concerns about character from the licensing board? Academic probation is not a slight on your character.

I just want to convey in some way that this course failure was a brief lapse in which I did not mean to act cavalier and that I am not a bad person. I just was spread thin and did not have my priorities right.

Last edited:
I have an unrestricted MD license in a strict state. I highly doubt you have to submit this information. What specific question are you answering on the application with this information? They would want to know about a suspension, probation or delay in medical training, however this does not apply to you. Basically you failed the rotation. Not sure the board even cares to hear about it. However, it won't hurt you at all if you submit the info.

With words like "careless and cavalier care of pts" in my FCVS report from my school, do you think this would cause concerns about character from the licensing board? Academic probation is not a slight on your character.

Your first post states no probation. Which one is it?

Your first post states no probation. Which one is it?
No probation,delay or suspension. Just had to remediate the course with mandated counseling.My point was that "academic probation" does not seem IMHO to be a big deal since anyone can fail a test and that is not a character issue. My concern is that the grounds that I failed the course were bordering on character issues, which I am tempted to defend.

contact a lawyer before applying to the state please. That is the best advice i can give you.

It is unlikely you will be denied, considering the drunks and misfits practicing.

But find a lawyer please and have him represent you, no matter the cost.

Reactions: 1 user
ditto LAWYER

also, NEVER give more info than absolutely necessary to honestly answer a question for the board

questions about probation, delays you can truthfully answer no
questions about failing and remediating must be answered yes
questions about disciplinary action? well, everyone here can tell you I'm the first to champion a VERY conservative approach with info to the board, to the point where most would disagree with me, and even I am thinking that mandated counseling sounds like disciplinary action

if I asked you about disciplinary action, you said no, then I found out about the above, it would strike me *personally* as dishonest
don't ever want to appear dishonest to a board

you can certainly ask your medical school how you should fill out the form, given that if asked it's their story that you want your app to match!
it's totally fair and honest IMHO to call it whatever they choose to call it!!

on the other hand, should you be caught on that one you could always claim that it never occurred to you as a disciplinary issue as you didn't do anything morally or ethically wrong and that the counseling was more meant for your growth as a physician blah blah

"State "I failed elective XYZ my fourth year, completed remediation, and was graduated without any delays". If they want more details, they'll ask." from @Raryn if asked about failing, remediating, or discipline, sounds best to me

how you deal with the "discipline" question should it be asked is ultimately up to you as is everything on the app, but that would definitely be the one I would ask a lawyer about

seems every state will have at least one law firm that deals with physician issues like medical licensing so I am confident you can find an attorney to help you with this question