Will Trump win again???

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hate me all you want, but guess what I think Islam is the correct faith, that Muhammad was one of the best human beings to exist ever. I am unapologetically Muslim.

I would think pedophilia would knock you out of at least the top five of all time, but that’s just me.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 
I would think pedophilia would knock you out of at least the top five of all time, but that’s just me.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I can dig up dirt on literally 90% of biblical figures from their very own texts without difficulty. And for your overused worn out argument -
Question: "How old was Mary when Jesus was born?"

Answer:
While the Bible does not specifically state how old Mary was when Jesus was born, most Christian historians speculate that she was around 15—16 years of age at the time of Jesus’ birth. According to Jewish customs at the time, a young woman might become betrothed to a young man as early as 12 years of age, though the consummation of their marriage through ceremony and physical intimacy would not happen until they were legally married, many months or even years later.
 
Marrying very young was custom some millennia ago, is in many places today and was in the U.S 150 years ago. Not a single critic of Islam ( and there have been many) used this against the prophet until 100 years ago
 
Last edited:
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I can dig up dirt on literally 90% of biblical figures from their very own texts without difficulty. And for your overused worn out argument -
Question: "How old was Mary when Jesus was born?"

Answer:
While the Bible does not specifically state how old Mary was when Jesus was born, most Christian historians speculate that she was around 15—16 years of age at the time of Jesus’ birth. According to Jewish customs at the time, a young woman might become betrothed to a young man as early as 12 years of age, though the consummation of their marriage through ceremony and physical intimacy would not happen until they were legally married, many months or even years later.

I’m not digging up dirt. It’s laid out black and white in the Hadith that Aisha was married to Mohammed at 6 and he consummated the marriage at 9.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 
This thread is horrifying to read, especially when high schoolers step in and confidently express their strong opinions to fuel the flames
I don't get why he wasn't told that this section of the forum was off-limits (really no reason for him to be here).
 
This thread is horrifying to read, especially when high schoolers step in and confidently express their strong opinions to fuel the flames
God forbid somebody confidently express their strong opinions.
 
God forbid somebody confidently express their strong opinions.
Don't forget to wipe your snot. No adult here gives a crap about your opinions, because "you ain't see nothin' yet". That's why kids like you, when in the Muslim world, are so easy to brainwash and radicalize.

"Confident", "strong" - words stupid people tend to use, in MY experience. Smart people actually have doubts about a lot of things; that's where wisdom begins. Dubito ergo cogito... 😉
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Don't forget to wipe your snot. No adult here gives a crap about your opinions. That's why kids like you, when in the Muslim world, are so easy to brainwash and radicalize.
You really want to get this thread shut down dont you? I saw what you wrote before you edited your comment.

If the only argument you can produce is I'm "brainwashed", then I'm doing fantastic.
 
You really want to get this thread shut down dont you? I saw what you wrote before you edited your comment.

If the only argument you can produce is I'm "brainwashed", then I'm doing fantastic.
No, I want YOU shut down. Now go back into that black hole called my ignore list, and be grateful that you grew up in America where you can run your mouth, and not in another country where parents do educate their children and teach them how to behave in society.

P.S. If you actually want to spend time on something useful, go read up on black holes (or any other complicated scientific subject). At your age, wasting time chatting on forums is truly dumb.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Don't forget to wipe your snot. No adult here gives a crap about your opinions, because "you ain't see nothin' yet". That's why kids like you, when in the Muslim world, are so easy to brainwash and radicalize.

"Confident", "strong" - words stupid people tend to use, in MY experience. Smart people actually have doubts about a lot of things; that's where wisdom begins. Dubito ergo cogito... 😉
I was literalyy quoting somebody else lord :laugh: :laugh:
LOL
 
[QUOTE

Believing in any religion is irrational. If there was a rational reason to believe, you’d be able to convince everyone else. The exception is if you had personal experience with a god, but it’s fair to assume that hasn’t happened.

I'd argue that Newton's third law of motion may support a belief in a benevolent higher power and why one might ask that power (pray) to intercede for the good. Others may disagree with this theory. That's ok. Just putting this out there for thought.

I'd argue that Newton's law of conservation may support a belief in life after death, as energy cannot be created or destroyed, only transformed into another type of energy. Others may disagree with this theory. That's ok. Just putting this out there for thought.
[/QUOTE]
That’s not a theory. Your claim about Newton's Law is an assertion with no basis. If there’s a rational connection there, explain it.

You make your assertion weaker by slipping in the word benevolent with even less basis than your trying to invent god out of laws of motion (that aren’t even considered true post-general relativity).

You make it worse still by mentioning prayer. There is no evidence whatsoever that prayer works. On the contrary there is evidence that it doesn’t work.

Conservation of mass/energy also doesn’t in any way argue for life after death. Yes everything that makes you continues to exist after you die, it may become part of another life (like whatever consumes your corpse, but it isn’t you. As far as I can tell, correct me if I’m wrong, there’s no argument you can even make suggesting that you continue to exist just because your atoms don’t vanish from the universe.

Mass and energy are conserved when a bear comes by and eats our dead body. Then he takes a crap and our nitrogen fertilizes the grass.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I'd argue that Newton's third law of motion may support a belief in a benevolent higher power and why one might ask that power (pray) to intercede for the good. Others may disagree with this theory. That's ok. Just putting this out there for thought.

I'd argue that Newton's law of conservation may support a belief in life after death, as energy cannot be created or destroyed, only transformed into another type of energy. Others may disagree with this theory. That's ok. Just putting this out there for thought.


Mass and energy are conserved when a bear comes by and eats our dead body. Then he takes a crap and our nitrogen fertilizes the grass.
[/QUOTE]
Maybe the consciousness is preserved
 
Mass and energy are conserved when a bear comes by and eats our dead body. Then he takes a crap and our nitrogen fertilizes the grass.
Maybe the consciousness is preserved
[/QUOTE]

Maybe. I’ll let you know after I die.
 
Maybe the consciousness is preserved

Maybe. I’ll let you know after I die.
[/QUOTE]
idk maybe there are rules that disallowed those who have passed on to communicate with us because it would disrupt the equilibrium of life and death and the mystery of not knowing.
 
Mass and energy are conserved when a bear comes by and eats our dead body. Then he takes a crap and our nitrogen fertilizes the grass.
Maybe the consciousness is preserved
[/QUOTE]

I think the bear crap found its way into your consciousness.
 
Its not hard to maintain in a static world. Had humanity stalled out 200 years ago and stopped progressing we'd be able to make it that long easily (since this whole thing started with us destroying the world, 1800 humans couldn't do that). And again, we have no proof that we won't make it as long as the dinosaurs did.

Beyond that, we're the only species that has made significant progress a) in any form at all and b) in such a short time.

Dinosaurs didn't have language beyond what any run-of-the-mill animal does (and I'd wager cetaceans have more), they didn't consciously alter the environment beyond what was needed for things like nesting, they weren't able to leave the planet and return safely, they didn't have any understanding of how the universe works.

Let's compare that to, say, a stegosaurus. That species lasted for roughly 60 million years. In those 60 million years, did it accomplish anything?
Hanging around for 60 million years is no mean feat!
 
1) I have no issue with someone naming their child Muhammad. People in America are free to do whatever they wish.

2) I don't care how old a poster is. I'm more concerned with the content of their speech. We are all free to judge that speech, regardless of age.

3) About Newton's laws (and this is probably getting into the weeds, but I will clarify what I meant and then I will drop it):

a) Newton's 3rd law of motion: For every action there is an equal and opposite reaction.
Prayer, to me, is similar to guided imagery, meditation, and cognitive therapy. In all of these things, thoughts are formed which cause change in emotions and/or behaviors. These techniques are tools of change/therapy. I think there has been evidence that these tools work for certain situations/people. Thoughts (action) are an agent of change (reaction). Believing that evil (bad, hurtful intentions and actions) does exist in the world, one might pray for the opposite (good, helpful intentions and actions) to occur. Just like guided imagery does not actually transport oneself to a sandy beach, just like meditation uses mental focus, just like cognitive therapy uses the reenforcement of positive thoughts to overcome negative ones, I feel prayer can be a useful tool for some people. It may not be totally quantifiable, but not all techniques are, IMO.

b) Newton's law of the conservation of energy. Energy is neither created or destroyed, only transformed to another type of energy. Sure, one can propose that the decomposing body gives all of it's energy to the soil, but has anyone actually quantified this? I believe that there is no proof of that. What about in cases of cremation? Does all of that energy go into the air in the form of heat? There really isn't proof of that either. There are theories (such as stone tape theory) and the collection of evidence (electronic voice phenomena, video/camera recordings of light orbs and apparitions, monitoring of EMF/temperature/barometric pressure) in the paranormal community, attempting to document the existence of beings outside of our human dimension. You could say that the paranormal community is just a group of charlatans, but then that would make you a conspiracy theorist.

I don't intend to change anyone's mind on this subject. I just wanted to clarify what I meant. Sometimes people assume that anyone who is spiritual or religious is XXX (you fill in the blank), but sometimes it's just a matter of how you look at the topic and if you are willing to take that leap of faith. For some, the leap is worth it. For others not so much.
 
You are correct in saying that there isn’t evidence per se that prayer works, as you could indeed chalk up even the most miraculous things to mere chance or coincidence. However, i think by the same token you cannot say there is evidence it doesn’t work. I don’t think anyone claims that prayer means you get whatever you ask for. So you can’t claim that because someone prayed for healing, for example, and that healing didn’t occur that you now have evidence that prayer doesn’t work. I’m assuming that’s what you meant. If that’s not what you meant, do you have other evidence?


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Exactly. There’s no evidence it works. Everything after that is irrelevant.
 
Maybe. I’ll let you know after I die.
idk maybe there are rules that disallowed those who have passed on to communicate with us because it would disrupt the equilibrium of life and death and the mystery of not knowing.
[/QUOTE]

Absolutely that would create a disturbance in The Force.
 
idk maybe there are rules that disallowed those who have passed on to communicate with us because it would disrupt the equilibrium of life and death and the mystery of not knowing.

You should have stopped at ‘idk’.
For the rest of your post you’d need to establish that there are rules, that people who have ‘passed’ exist at all to communicate, that there is an equilibrium to disrupt, and there is a cosmic necessity for mystery.

You can’t establish any of those points, much less all of them.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
1) I have no issue with someone naming their child Muhammad. People in America are free to do whatever they wish.

2) I don't care how old a poster is. I'm more concerned with the content of their speech. We are all free to judge that speech, regardless of age.

3) About Newton's laws (and this is probably getting into the weeds, but I will clarify what I meant and then I will drop it):

a) Newton's 3rd law of motion: For every action there is an equal and opposite reaction.
Prayer, to me, is similar to guided imagery, meditation, and cognitive therapy. In all of these things, thoughts are formed which cause change in emotions and/or behaviors. These techniques are tools of change/therapy. I think there has been evidence that these tools work for certain situations/people. Thoughts (action) are an agent of change (reaction). Believing that evil (bad, hurtful intentions and actions) does exist in the world, one might pray for the opposite (good, helpful intentions and actions) to occur. Just like guided imagery does not actually transport oneself to a sandy beach, just like meditation uses mental focus, just like cognitive therapy uses the reenforcement of positive thoughts to overcome negative ones, I feel prayer can be a useful tool for some people. It may not be totally quantifiable, but not all techniques are, IMO.

b) Newton's law of the conservation of energy. Energy is neither created or destroyed, only transformed to another type of energy. Sure, one can propose that the decomposing body gives all of it's energy to the soil, but has anyone actually quantified this? I believe that there is no proof of that. What about in cases of cremation? Does all of that energy go into the air in the form of heat? There really isn't proof of that either. There are theories (such as stone tape theory) and the collection of evidence (electronic voice phenomena, video/camera recordings of light orbs and apparitions, monitoring of EMF/temperature/barometric pressure) in the paranormal community, attempting to document the existence of beings outside of our human dimension. You could say that the paranormal community is just a group of charlatans, but then that would make you a conspiracy theorist.

I don't intend to change anyone's mind on this subject. I just wanted to clarify what I meant. Sometimes people assume that anyone who is spiritual or religious is XXX (you fill in the blank), but sometimes it's just a matter of how you look at the topic and if you are willing to take that leap of faith. For some, the leap is worth it. For others not so much.

You are free to define prayer however you like, but your description of what you mean doesn’t fit with common usage of the word prayer.

There is no evidence of divine intervention as a result of prayer. There is evidence of nothing happening as a result of prayer. You can’t prove a negative but that doesn’t mean belief in an unfalsifiable claim is justified.

Everyone involved in the paranormal industry is a fraud.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
you've yet to disprove God, and speaking of logical fallacies your Ad Homs are through the roof
I repeat. You should review a list of logical fallacies.
Shifting the burden of proof and appeal to authority for example.
I don’t think I’ve attacked you, just requested better arguments. Don’t beat yourself up, good arguments for god don’t exist.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Well Liam is a nickname for William. I prefer the name be the name and the nickname the nickname, but not everyone agrees. At least it isn’t made up and doesn’t have an apostrophe. Some names I hear could be considered child abuse.

My mother volunteers as a court appointed advocate for a child who was named 'Isis' by her biologic parents.

Admittedly, they were referencing some ancient goddess and their awareness of the world rivals that of a neighbor's rabbit; but the child is only 5.

Not surprisingly, her adopting parents are working on a nickname for now -- and an eventual official name change later.

HH
 
Muslim names are great barring a despot name here and a mass killer name there.

Just like any other religion or culture.
 
There is no way of disproving prayer. It would only occur in a way in which you couldn't empirically prove it to be false
 
There is no way of disproving prayer. It would only occur in a way in which you couldn't empirically prove it to be false
Not being able to prove prayer false doesn’t in any way suggest it works. On the other hand if it actually worked, it would be easy enough to demonstrate. The failure to demonstrate the healing power of prayer doesn’t prove it false, but it does cast further doubt on this particular myth.
 
Not being able to prove prayer false doesn’t in any way suggest it works. On the other hand if it actually worked, it would be easy enough to demonstrate.
But then again, if God laid it out to be that easy, then what would be the test of faith?
 
Not being able to prove prayer false doesn’t in any way suggest it works. On the other hand if it actually worked, it would be easy enough to demonstrate. The failure to demonstrate the healing power of prayer doesn’t prove it false, but it does cast further doubt on this particular myth.

I’m sorry, but you were the one that said there is “evidence that it doesn’t work” which is simply false. Talk to millions of Christians and I’m sure you’ll find plenty of people that can tell you it works. And I know your response is that it’s just them naively believing that matters of happenstance are actually answers to prayer, and that’s fine. Belief is involved. Obviously.

You say if it actually worked, we should be able to demonstrate it. My question for you is, if it didn’t work, why would millions of people do it for centuries and centuries? That’s a lot of people to simply follow tradition or custom if it never produce and arguably positive results. And maybe it’s a total myth and god isn’t real, and that’s always a possibility, but if it only works through the power of suggestion or placebo effect, and not through magical god powers, is it not still ‘working’?


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 
Last edited:
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I’m sorry, but you were the one that said there is “evidence that it doesn’t work” which is simply false. Talk to millions of Christians and I’m sure you’ll find plenty of people that can tell you it works. And I know your response is that it’s just them naively believing that answers to prayer are just happenstance, and that’s fine. Belief is involved. Obviously.

You say if it actually worked, we should be able to demonstrate it. My question for you is, if it didn’t work, why would millions of people do it for centuries and centuries? That’s a lot of people to simply follow tradition or custom if it never produce and arguably positive results. And maybe it’s a total myth and god isn’t real, and that’s always a possibility, but if it only works through the power of suggestion or placebo effect, and not through magical god powers, is it not still ‘working’?


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The evidence that it doesn’t work is that patients who were prayed for did no better than other patients.
The number of people who believe something is irrelevant. Argumentum ad populum
 




I don't agree with WLC with 100% of things but man he crushes every atheist debater
 
The evidence that it doesn’t work is that patients who were prayed for did no better than other patients.
The number of people who believe something is irrelevant. Argumentum ad populum

You state something like you have reviewed the literature on it and come to a definitive conclusion. Prayer is not an antibiotic. You can’t do a study and expect repeatable results within a margin of error. You don’t have to believe in prayer, but your statements about it, pretending like it’s been studied and proven ineffective, make you sound kinda silly.

No one claims you get everything you pray for. No one claims that for every 100 prayers you get 5 prayers answered. It’s not a this then that kinda thing. It’s fine if you don’t believe in prayer, and it’s fine if you don’t understand prayer. But to talk all smugly like it’s something that’s been proven ineffective, well, it just makes you sound smug about something you don’t really get.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 
Last edited:
You mean the god who created logic wants you not to use it? Doesn’t make sense to me.
Haven't you heard? Logic was created by Satan.

You can't fix stupid. Stop trying. Any high IQ person will arrive at logic and, at least, agnosticism instinctively, the same way the highly muscular people want to lift heavier and heavier objects without being told. The not so smart won't, and nor will the sedentary fatties respectively.

Skepticism is a sign of intellect; not unexpectedly, it's strongly discouraged by organized religion - "doubting Thomas", "heresy" etc.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.