Will we be homesick as we go off to Med School?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Wdup

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've been living most of my life in nice weathered Southern Cali. I'm so used to this place, and went to undergrad in SO CAL too, only about 40 minutes away from my hometown. As I will go all the way to Chicago to study Med, I'm just wondering and can't help feeling a bit of discomfort/(scared?) because I will be so far away from home, and will have to adjust. Will you guys be doing the same? and if you guys have done so, how were the adjustments?

Members don't see this ad.

Wdup said:
I'm just wondering and can't help feeling a bit of discomfort/(scared?) because I will be so far away from home, and will have to adjust. Will you guys be doing the same? and if you guys have done so, how were the adjustments?

I went to undergrad 45 minutes from home, and while I have no acceptances yet this year, my top choice is about 5 hours from home. I realize this isn't across the country, as in your situation, but it is a long way for me. However, I am so excited about starting med school, and know that I will be very busy. This will help the homesickness. I am taking my two kitties (see my avatar), which will also help. I won't know anyone in the city where the med school is, but I'm looking forward to a new start and the opportunity to meet other premeds. Homesickness is a natural part of life, but I think one would be more unhappy if he/she chose instead to abandon dreams in favor of staying closer to home. It's a scary prospect, but an exciting one at the same time. Good luck with it! :luck:

I feel like the issue of whether or not to stay close to my family is going to be one of my deciding factors in selecting a medical school. The schools I've been accepted to are all pretty much on the same playing field (no top tens of anything), so I don't feel like academics are at stake anywhere.

I went to a school that was close to home for undergrad, never regretted it, but I'm leaning towards moving away for med school. I'm worried however, that I'm doing so just to prove that I can. Of course, it would also be nice to check out a new city and get out of Jersey (if only for a little while). Advice, anyone?

Members don't see this ad :)
considering i've just spent 4 years away at college, why should this be any different?

It depends the type of person you are and what support system if any, you have nearby; everyone handles separation differently.

Psycho Doctor said:
considering i've just spent 4 years away at college, why should this be any different?

Psycho Doc, I think the OP's point was that they hadn't spent the last 4 years away! But good for you! :D

I spent 4 years away, but am kind of glad to be going back to my home city. It's comforting to already know people, so I'll have a good non-medical safety net while I'm stressing out.

I went to undergrad 1800 miles from home. It is tough at first, but you will be so busy that you won't have time to miss home. Cats are great to help with the loneliness. I was lucky to have my fiance/now husband and a cat of course!

Will anyone leave a husband/fiance/serious boyfriend behind for med school? My husband is a track coach and will stay behind for a year. He will be in Arkansas and I am hoping to go to med school in California. If anyone has tips on how to survive long distance relationships, please share!

I've been away from home for 6 years now: 4 years undergrad and 2 years grad school. I think it was hard at first when I first left and the initial excitement wore off. But you get used to life quickly somewhere new. I've spent the last two years in Germany and a year abroad in undergrad in England, and even life in Europe becomes very normal after a while. My family always calls and wants to know what exciting things I'm doing, but I just do my work, go out with friends, and enjoy my life. Then when I have my free long weekends or vacations, I indulge in as much travel, sightseeing, and entertainment as I can afford. In my opinion, I think it's good to cut the strings for a while and go somewhere new unless you have serious family commitments already in place. Maybe you won't like it as much as I have, but it gives you a lot more perspective on different people and different ways of life. I'm not saying anyone need do anything as dramatic as I have done by moving continents, but if you never leave one place, then you just never know what else you could have experienced. Now I'm going to med school 3.5 hours from my family starting this summer, the closest I've been to "home" in a long, long time. I'm happy to go back, but I'm sure I'll have many more adventures in many new places during my life. Anyway, I don't know what I'm getting at after writing so much, but know that most people get homesick sometimes, but most of the time new experiences are worth it.

HrsNJ said:
Psycho Doc, I think the OP's point was that they hadn't spent the last 4 years away! But good for you! :D

ok great, but I just answered the question "Will we be homesick as we go off to Med School? " I don't know if you will be, i can only answer for myself. :D

CanuckRazorback said:
I went to undergrad 1800 miles from home. It is tough at first, but you will be so busy that you won't have time to miss home. Cats are great to help with the loneliness. I was lucky to have my fiance/now husband and a cat of course!

Will anyone leave a husband/fiance/serious boyfriend behind for med school? My husband is a track coach and will stay behind for a year. He will be in Arkansas and I am hoping to go to med school in California. If anyone has tips on how to survive long distance relationships, please share!

i've always done the long distance relationship thing and it pretty much sucks. Talk, IM, e-mail A LOT and visit whenever you can but I have a feeling it will be tougher in med school. :( good luck!

Psycho Doctor said:
ok great, but I just answered the question "Will we be homesick as we go off to Med School? " I don't know if you will be, i can only answer for myself. :D
For me at least, when I move from somewhere that I have established a life I think that its normal to be "homesick" for whatever you had, be it family or friends or just a place where you felt comfortable. At least you'll be in med school and should be busy - less time to miss home. You'll make a new home in the 4 years that you are in Chicago I'm sure.

CanuckRazorback said:

Relationships are HARD without factoring in distance AND med school, but like so many other things, its what you make of it. It's nice having the one you care about "there" when times get stressful, and to share the good things in life with--from my experience (four years and counting), definitely doable (athough I'll be starting ms in the fall also). Having an understanding that there will be less time for eachother (and both individuals staying busy) helps a lot. Schedule time to see eachother as much as possible (southwest=low cost and frequent flyer miles :) ). Just keep your eye on the prize(s), an open-mind, and expect the bumps ahead. Not the expert, but we're happy! Goodluck to you.

wow! I am the exactly same way. Grew up in ventura went to ucsb (40 mins away) and now hopefully goin to chicago...im kinda scared.....i am so used to the nice warm weather (not like we are having it now though). Maan the constant cold and snow is for sure gonna suck

Treat yourself with a new coat, and fun winter boots shopping heals all heart ache.--If male completely disregard post :)

Wdup said:
I've been living most of my life in nice weathered Southern Cali. I'm so used to this place, and went to undergrad in SO CAL too, only about 40 minutes away from my hometown. As I will go all the way to Chicago to study Med, I'm just wondering and can't help feeling a bit of discomfort/(scared?) because I will be so far away from home, and will have to adjust. Will you guys be doing the same? and if you guys have done so, how were the adjustments?

I will be moving far away too... I am soooo scared as childish and immature as that sounds. I'm leaving my family and my boyfriend and my two-yr. old kitten... The worst part is that the few schools left in my home town just won't reject me yet, although I am way underqualified. Its like this pathetic hope that I cling to thinking, technically, I am still not leaving for sure.

personally, i think it is good to start over in a new city. you can start fresh, and everyone needs to experience life outside their own backyard. although if you're a real homebody, it mgiht be tough at first, but just remember to go out and experience life in a new city. you won't regret it.

Psycho Doctor said:

Well it's pretty obvious that it's not directed at people who already don't near home.

Yeah, I think I'm going to have a hard time. My goal is going to be to try to make a few good friends so that I might feel like I have a home away from home.