Will you give back to your Alumni or Dental school after graduation?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
OMFS12 said:
If my dental school will remove the worthless faculty that refuse to update their own outdated dental knowledge, respect those students who decide to further their education after dental school in the form of residency programs instead of making life more difficult and require the clinical faculty to actually practice dentistry (wouldn't that make too much sense) at least in the form of a faculty practice than maybe I will consider donating. My undergraduate, medical school and residency program will receive money long before my dental school will.

wow. I always thought every school strongly encourages residency after dental school.

Members don't see this ad.

If my dental school will remove the worthless faculty that refuse to update their own outdated dental knowledge, respect those students who decide to further their education after dental school in the form of residency programs instead of making life more difficult and require the clinical faculty to actually practice dentistry (wouldn't that make too much sense) at least in the form of a faculty practice than maybe I will consider donating. My undergraduate, medical school and residency program will receive money long before my dental school will.

Excellent. I think you've hit on something. What your school needs, and will need much more in 10 years when you are making great money and have some freedom, is not your contributions of money, but your contributions of time and expertise. Dental school faculties are no longer representative of most private-practice experiences, and it's a real shame. As a dental products manufacturer, I get to visit dental schools frequently, talk with students, with full-time faculty members, and with part-time faculty members. Things have to change, and you can change them by giving back a day a week or a day a month. There aren't good mentoring programs at Dental schools. There aren't good practice management programs at Dental schools. There aren't good investment programs at Dental schools. You will learn those things at the school of hard knocks when you hang your shingle, and you will have so much to teach a student. Think about it, and keep your minds open. You have the power and the talent to give back in a way that will be truly meaninful and impactful. I understand why some of you are sour; just be open to get off the sidelines one day, get in the game, and help change what has made you so sour.

grownup said:
Excellent. I think you've hit on something. What your school needs, and will need much more in 10 years when you are making great money and have some freedom, is not your contributions of money, but your contributions of time and expertise. Dental school faculties are no longer representative of most private-practice experiences, and it's a real shame. As a dental products manufacturer, I get to visit dental schools frequently, talk with students, with full-time faculty members, and with part-time faculty members. Things have to change, and you can change them by giving back a day a week or a day a month. There aren't good mentoring programs at Dental schools. There aren't good practice management programs at Dental schools. There aren't good investment programs at Dental schools. You will learn those things at the school of hard knocks when you hang your shingle, and you will have so much to teach a student. Think about it, and keep your minds open. You have the power and the talent to give back in a way that will be truly meaninful and impactful. I understand why some of you are sour; just be open to get off the sidelines one day, get in the game, and help change what has made you so sour.
Nice. :thumbup:

Members don't see this ad :)
TKD said:
wow. I always thought every school strongly encourages residency after dental school.
Not really. Dental school faculty are a bunch of general dentists who thrive on the power they have over students. Specializing and gaining more knowledge about a topic "de-throwns" them in this regard. Call it jealousy. Call it insecurity......call it reality.

I will donate money, just because I'd rather give money to my school than paying taxes, not because I love or enjoy my education here. But at least ucsf treats me better than ucdavis. Hmmm....Since I don't even have a favorite undergrad to give, I guess that ucsf will get something.
But I totally understand how much people dislike their schools. I grin every day when i walk in, grin when I walk out, and count down to graduation. I'm just happy that four years go by fast.
The amount of work we have to do I'm not sure why too much, but I just meditate myself not to think about it, just to graduate.

Count down to graduation