Winter depression

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

depressed?

• yes

Votes: 50 56.8%
  • no

Votes: 38 43.2%

• Total voters

fang

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just curious...

Criteria for Major Depressive Episode Based on DSM-IV
A) Five or more of the following symptoms have been present during the same 2-week period and represent a change from previous functioning; at least one of the symptoms is either 1) depressed mood or 2) loss of interest or pleasure.
1) Depressed mood most of the day, nearly every day as self-reported or observed by others.
2) Diminished interest or pleasure in all or almost all activities most of the day, nearly every day.
3) Significant weight loss when not dieting, or weight gain; or decrease or increase in appetite nearly every day.
4) Insomnia or hypersomnia nearly every day.
5) Psychomotor agitation or ******ation nearly every day
6) Fatigue or loss of energy nearly every day.
7) Feelings of worthlessness or excessive or inappropriate guilt nearly every day.
8) Diminished ability to think or concentrate nearly every day.
9) Recurrent thoughts of death, recurrent suicidal ideation without a specific plan.
B) The symptoms do not meet criteria for a mixed episode
C) The symptoms cause clinically significant distress or impairment in social, occupational, or other areas of functioning.
D) The symptoms are not due to the direct physiological effects of a substance (drug or medication) or a general medical condition (hypothyroidism).
E) The symptoms are not better accounted for by bereavement, i.e., after the loss of a loved one, the symptoms persist for longer than 2 months or are characterized by marked functional impairment, morbid preoccupation with worthlessness, suicidal ideation, psychotic symptoms, or psychomotor ******ation.

Members don't see this ad.

I think I used to have this when I lived up East (in Boston). But since I moved to the desert, where it's 65 degrees and sunny 80% of the time, I don't feel so sad anymore.

fang said:
9) Recurrent thoughts of death, recurrent suicidal ideation without a specific plan.
Death in general... what if the thoughs are the opposite of suicidal ideation. What if it's just a morbid preoccupation with death?

Members don't see this ad :)
Nope, I've already got spring fever here in TX......... haven't studied in 4 days.

I was nov-jan like I am every year but things are better once I get past mid jan or so. Things would be even better if I didn't have to take biochem plus have the worst physiology department on the face of the planet. :)

thackl said:
Nope, I've already got spring fever here in TX......... haven't studied in 4 days.

see that by itself is the cure.

however since i have to study- some sunlight would be nice. C'mon spring!

Winter depression is real? I thought it was just made up so people had something to blaim their problems on.... like the girls in high school who some how feel cool by calling themselves bipolar, manic/depressive, etc without actually having any of the true symptoms.

fang said:
Just curious...

Criteria for Major Depressive Episode Based on DSM-IV
A) Five or more of the following symptoms have been present during the same 2-week period and represent a change from previous functioning; at least one of the symptoms is either 1) depressed mood or 2) loss of interest or pleasure.
1) Depressed mood most of the day, nearly every day as self-reported or observed by others.
2) Diminished interest or pleasure in all or almost all activities most of the day, nearly every day.
3) Significant weight loss when not dieting, or weight gain; or decrease or increase in appetite nearly every day.
4) Insomnia or hypersomnia nearly every day.
5) Psychomotor agitation or ******ation nearly every day
6) Fatigue or loss of energy nearly every day.
7) Feelings of worthlessness or excessive or inappropriate guilt nearly every day.
8) Diminished ability to think or concentrate nearly every day.
B) The symptoms do not meet criteria for a mixed episode
C) The symptoms cause clinically significant distress or impairment in social, occupational, or other areas of functioning.
D) The symptoms are not due to the direct physiological effects of a substance (drug or medication) or a general medical condition (hypothyroidism).
E) The symptoms are not better accounted for by bereavement, i.e., after the loss of a loved one, the symptoms persist for longer than 2 months or are characterized by marked functional impairment, morbid preoccupation with worthlessness, suicidal ideation, psychotic symptoms, or psychomotor ******ation.

I don't think I'm depressed though it is harder for me to get my self to the gym. It's just a block from my place but I still would rather just watch TV. I'm hoping spring comes soon so I can get myself back in shape

I use to get seasonal depression during the winter. Thankfully I live in Houston now and we dont really have a winter. The other day I was upset because it dipped below 60 degrees :mad:

I enjoy the Winter season, I am one of the few individuals that look forward to it. If I had the choice, I would relocate to Antarctica.

I get a bit down during winter too, but for the past two years I've started using these 1000 watt halogen lights plus three flourescent lights in my room. I set them to my timer, so they go on around 4 or 5 in the morning depending when I want to wake up. They simulate actual daylight, and I have been feeling better since.

During winter, there was only about nine hours of daylight, but I still get ten or eleven because of these lights.

The lights worth less than fifty dollars; absolutely worth the investment.

Only get depressed for maybe one or two weeks in mid-January. But it's not like any type of weather is permanent (at least here) so what's to get depressed about? Get your ass in the gym. Spring will ALWAYS come just be patient.

The only weather that really depressed me was when I lived down south and the seasons would hardly ever change. It was draining.

Members don't see this ad :)
Winter sets me back. I was born and raised in the Caribbean. Although I've lived in the US for 12 years, I'm still not happy with winter. I do like autumn though. But winter feels like a burden.

Autumn is worse than winter! Everything is dying.. I hate transition seasons.. I hate winter too.. so really I only like summer... and it can't get too hot. I hope that this year's winter was my one and only.

We have a SAD light in our student lounge. I don't think I've ever seen any one use it.

TheRussian said:
We have a SAD light in our student lounge. I don't think I've ever seen any one use it.

do those things even work?

reddirtgirl said:
do those things even work?
Apparently they do work. There are some family physicians that have perscribed it to their patients.

I answered no. I'm not depressed, still reasonably motivated to study but winter is getting old here in Chicago.

Yes - but I live in a place with about 5 minutes of daylight during the winter - and I moved there from Texas. So maybe it's just the switch that's getting to me.
Now if only it would stop raining...

Anastasis said:
Yes - but I live in a place with about 5 minutes of daylight during the winter - and I moved there from Texas. So maybe it's just the switch that's getting to me.
Now if only it would stop raining...
My mom made the exact opposite move you did ... :D

Belfast is so depressing though.

I'm sure it's the zoloft. I was there in January. TOOO cold and TOOO wet.

Well, here in sunny Ohio I don't have much of a problem, LOL.....

I wouldn't say that I get depressed overall, but I find that I have temporary moments of depression WAY more often than any other season. The lack of daylight sucks. It's is depressing when you wake up, go to school, spend all day in the medical complex and leave and its already dark. Throw in the the fact that right now most days there isn't even sunshine, and lets just say I'm really excited for spring break!!!!