Wireless Dental Loupes Light

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

chompsss

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I know it's a limited field right now, but who's got experience with what? Seems like the popular ones right now are the Design for Vision Daylite Wireless (original and Mini version), Orascoptic Spark, Orascoptic XV1, and maybe some others (Nano Freedom, Snap on Optics Cordless, etc.).

We all know the benefits - super portable, "no strings attached."

For those who have experience: trouble with brightness? Any trouble with it being too heavy? Any trouble with the battery life?

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
We use them at MWU. I have not used wired lights, so I have no basis for comparison. What I will say is that the battery life is much shorter than was advertised to us (less than one hour) and the lights are not as bright as the wired version our senior classmates have. Also, I don't really like having to screw / unscrew the cap for the battery to turn the light on and off. I am really not sure how it is going to work out for us in the clinic when we have to keep swapping out batteries over the course of eight hours.

The light itself seems okay, but IMO they don't live up to the hype. We use the Designs for Vision wireless light.

So what's the benefit of having no wires?

Members don't see this ad :)
We use them at MWU. I have not used wired lights, so I have no basis for comparison. What I will say is that the battery life is much shorter than was advertised to us (less than one hour) and the lights are not as bright as the wired version our senior classmates have. Also, I don't really like having to screw / unscrew the cap for the battery to turn the light on and off. I am really not sure how it is going to work out for us in the clinic when we have to keep swapping out batteries over the course of eight hours.

The light itself seems okay, but IMO they don't live up to the hype. We use the Designs for Vision wireless light.
Wow, really? One hour of battery?? That actually sounds pretty terrible. The rep told us 90 minutes and I've seen websites rate it for 2 hours. Yeah, the on/off turning of the battery case isn't something I'm wild about, so that's good feedback.

Overall, with a one hour runtime, you'll end up having to change the out all three batteries in a full four-hour appointment window, I imagine. That will be a real pain. Thanks for your insight!

Wow, really? One hour of battery?? That actually sounds pretty terrible. The rep told us 90 minutes and I've seen websites rate it for 2 hours. Yeah, the on/off turning of the battery case isn't something I'm wild about, so that's good feedback.

Overall, with a one hour runtime, you'll end up having to change the out all three batteries in a full four-hour appointment window, I imagine. That will be a real pain. Thanks for your insight!

Yeah, I am pretty conservative with my light and get more than one hour out of a battery nowadays. One of my benchmates has to change her battery out a lot more than I do, and I wonder if some of that is just variability between our lights or if I am just more aware and turn it off when I don't need it. Many of my classmates have reported that they are getting less than an hour out of their batteries too. Maybe @fogorvostan can share her opinion on the wireless light too.

On the plus side though, the light is not heavy and I am not bothered at all by it. Although not as powerful as the wired lights, it seems to be sufficient, but again I have no basis for comparison. The batteries recharge very quickly which is a good thing given that before I got better at switching on/off I was going through all 3 batteries in 4 hours.

Last edited:
XV1 is good. Well balanced, battery lasts about 4-5 hours. Comes with 2 sets, switching takes 2 minutes. Recharges in 2 hours. Very bright. Comfortable.
They are pricy though. If cost is a big factor, then I recommend spending on high quality optics over wireless. Or get both. Go big or go home, right? :cool:

My friend had the Orascoptic Spark and liked it but it was too heavy and made it uncomfortable behind her ears so she had to change. also, it's marketed with a 3hours life battery (but it comes with 2) and that sounds.. pretty terrible to be honest. not worth it as the wire isn't as annoying as we can think before using them.

Thinking beyond dental school I will take my wired featherlight that lasts a full work week without a charge. Batteries only have a certain number of charging cycles in them before you have to buy a new one because the life has decreased so much. so you'd need like 8 batteries and you'd be going through 8 charging cycles a day if you only get an hour per battery. The wire is way less annoying than that