-
CycleTrack and SDN are teaming up to make medical school admissions more transparent and accessible! Read the announcement to learn how we’re supporting the future of CycleTrack’s free application-tracking tools .
You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
Wisconsin c/o 2019 Applicants!
Started by Annamalita
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
I haven't either 🙁 At least I'm not the only one.i haven't gotten it yet 🙁
Edit: Literally the second I sent this it popped up in my inbox.

Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
"What did you list as your first career choice in your VMCAS essay?" - Was there some part of the VMCAS (besides the essay) where we had to list this, or am I getting the VMCAS confused with some of my other supplementals?
Also, I didn't really specify what my 2 top career choices were, I just said I'd like to go into specialty work,.
Also, I didn't really specify what my 2 top career choices were, I just said I'd like to go into specialty work,.
"What did you list as your first career choice in your VMCAS essay?" - Was there some part of the VMCAS (besides the essay) where we had to list this, or am I getting the VMCAS confused with some of my other supplementals?
Also, I didn't really specify what my 2 top career choices were, I just said I'd like to go into specialty work,.
I don't think there was a specific section where you listed your top choices... just what you generally said in your PS I guess?
its 14 degrees in wisconsin.......
I keep wondering if the low tuition is worth being an icicle for 4 years...its 14 degrees in wisconsin.......
It's worth it. I moved there after 4 years in San Diego and absolutely loved it.I keep wondering if the low tuition is worth being an icicle for 4 years...
haha yeah i'm from georgia....idk if i'd survive
haha i've never been to miami but i used to live in Jacksonville and i've been to orlando like a million times.
Just got the supplemental too! This one is really hard - we just had a family discussion that lasted almost 45 minutes trying to figure out when my parents registered to vote - the Ohio site only shows elections you voted in going back to 2000. And oh my gosh, when did I get my driver's license? I totally forget what month it was! All I remember is I procrastinated on getting a test appointment and had to wait a few extra months. It might be a short supplemental but it's a hard one!
This may be a dumb question but when they say
"Driver's license state abbreviation/province code:"
are they asking for your driver's license number? Because to me, it isn't very clear what the state abbreviation is unless it simply is (for example) MI or IL or WI....?
"Driver's license state abbreviation/province code:"
are they asking for your driver's license number? Because to me, it isn't very clear what the state abbreviation is unless it simply is (for example) MI or IL or WI....?
Just got the supplemental too! This one is really hard - we just had a family discussion that lasted almost 45 minutes trying to figure out when my parents registered to vote - the Ohio site only shows elections you voted in going back to 2000. And oh my gosh, when did I get my driver's license? I totally forget what month it was! All I remember is I procrastinated on getting a test appointment and had to wait a few extra months. It might be a short supplemental but it's a hard one!
I'm so glad I'm not the only one struggling with this! My parents have no clue about any of their details and I spent about an hour yesterday trying to figure out what month I got my license (still no clue; I know that I also procrastinated on getting that appointment, but for how long??). Do you think its best to guess on these details or to leave them blank? Is leaving them blank even an option? Why is it always the silly little things that are so stressful?
Good luck everybody!
It's raining (read: drizzling lightly) in San Francisco for the first time in ages so I'm wearing all my warmest clothes and my dogs refuse to go outside. If we end up in Wisconsin we're going to have an interesting first winter.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
HAhaha that is hilarious to me since right now its freezing cold over here in MI and snowing constantly, although it is very pretty to watch the snow falling.I'm so glad I'm not the only one struggling with this! My parents have no clue about any of their details and I spent about an hour yesterday trying to figure out what month I got my license (still no clue; I know that I also procrastinated on getting that appointment, but for how long??). Do you think its best to guess on these details or to leave them blank? Is leaving them blank even an option? Why is it always the silly little things that are so stressful?
Good luck everybody!
It's raining (read: drizzling lightly) in San Francisco for the first time in ages so I'm wearing all my warmest clothes and my dogs refuse to go outside. If we end up in Wisconsin we're going to have an interesting first winter.
And as for the dates I just guesstimated, I think that is better than leaving it blank and its probably not terrible if it is not exact IMO. But, what's your input on the driver's license part? Are you putting your license number in the section that asks for state abbreviation? Or are you putting CA?
HAhaha that is hilarious to me since right now its freezing cold over here in MI and snowing constantly, although it is very pretty to watch the snow falling.
And as for the dates I just guesstimated, I think that is better than leaving it blank and its probably not terrible if it is not exact IMO. But, what's your input on the driver's license part? Are you putting your license number in the section that asks for state abbreviation? Or are you putting CA?
I put in CA, but they definitely phrased that weird. I figure that if they wanted the number they would say number?
^^ That was EXACTLY what was going through my head. Thanks a lot!I put in CA, but they definitely phrased that weird. I figure that if they wanted the number they would say number?
"What did you list as your first career choice in your VMCAS essay?" - Was there some part of the VMCAS (besides the essay) where we had to list this, or am I getting the VMCAS confused with some of my other supplementals?
Also, I didn't really specify what my 2 top career choices were, I just said I'd like to go into specialty work,.
I was confused about the same thing. I talked about wanting to going into lab animal medicine but I didn't really mention anything about a 2nd career choice.
I
It's raining (read: drizzling lightly) in San Francisco for the first time in ages so I'm wearing all my warmest clothes and my dogs refuse to go outside. If we end up in Wisconsin we're going to have an interesting first winter.
It made it above freezing this afternoon in southern Ohio for the first time in over a week - I contemplated putting shoes on to get the mail.
HAhaha that is hilarious to me since right now its freezing cold over here in MI and snowing constantly, although it is very pretty to watch the snow falling.
And as for the dates I just guesstimated, I think that is better than leaving it blank and its probably not terrible if it is not exact IMO. But, what's your input on the driver's license part? Are you putting your license number in the section that asks for state abbreviation? Or are you putting CA?
I just put OH for that - I think it just wants the state code. I also just estimated the date I got my driver's license. I know I didn't have it before my junior year of high school ended, but I did have it before my senior year so I guessed July.
On my drivers license (georgia) it says issue date. Do yall's not?
On my drivers license (georgia) it says issue date. Do yall's not?
My has an issue date but it's the last time I renewed it, not the date when I first got my license

It just has the day I renewed it last.On my drivers license (georgia) it says issue date. Do yall's not?
I am in the process of filling out my supplemental application. So excited to hear back from this school!
This supplemental is probably the toughest one I've had to do yet. I'm so bad at diversity statements. Also, all this stuff about voter registration and what not...
Come on, I can't see why you wouldn't want to tell the world why you are the most special snowflake! 😛 in all honesty, right there with you, I am grumpy about that essay and hence I am putting it offThis supplemental is probably the toughest one I've had to do yet. I'm so bad at diversity statements. Also, all this stuff about voter registration and what not...![]()
You know, I think about that essay now and still shudder... I had a very difficult time with it as well.This supplemental is probably the toughest one I've had to do yet. I'm so bad at diversity statements. Also, all this stuff about voter registration and what not...![]()
If it helps, I just started just writing down a brief list of what I thought made myself unique, from things really subtle to really obvious. I sat on it a few days and kept adding to it as I went. Then I started stringing it together as a rough thought, and then had a few different examples paragraphs on how I was going to start, end, etc. I then went to my university's writing lab (if you have one it can help, if not maybe a family member or a friend?), and worked through what I was really trying to say. I tweaked it a few more times and was finally okay with it. Honestly, as much as a last-minute writer that I am, it helped to write this one out in chunks since I was so lost as to where to even begin.
Good luck, and hopefully something soon will inspire you to write 🙂
You know, I think about that essay now and still shudder... I had a very difficult time with it as well.
If it helps, I just started just writing down a brief list of what I thought made myself unique, from things really subtle to really obvious. I sat on it a few days and kept adding to it as I went. Then I started stringing it together as a rough thought, and then had a few different examples paragraphs on how I was going to start, end, etc. I then went to my university's writing lab (if you have one it can help, if not maybe a family member or a friend?), and worked through what I was really trying to say. I tweaked it a few more times and was finally okay with it. Honestly, as much as a last-minute writer that I am, it helped to write this one out in chunks since I was so lost as to where to even begin.
Good luck, and hopefully something soon will inspire you to write 🙂
Might be an odd question, but how many diverse things did you put? I currently have 3 things that I think could be considered "diverse" about me (I am not sure how my geographical location could be made to make me sound interesting, but that's the only other one I could think of). Did you focus on one thing or have a bunch of reasons?
Your advice is really helpful! Thank you! I should probably get some help with it, since everything I'm coming up with seems silly.
Not an odd question at all. If I remember correctly it was around 3-4 things, with one of them being what I would consider minor. It all depends on how you want to write it, to be quite honest. You can center it around 1 thing and perhaps add another thing as you go, or have several reasons throughout. All of them would work in my opinion.Might be an odd question, but how many diverse things did you put? I currently have 3 things that I think could be considered "diverse" about me (I am not sure how my geographical location could be made to make me sound interesting, but that's the only other one I could think of). Did you focus on one thing or have a bunch of reasons?
Your advice is really helpful! Thank you! I should probably get some help with it, since everything I'm coming up with seems silly.
Talking to someone really helps, because it added in a reason I didn't even think about. It doesn't have to be something completely obvious, it can even be something like a unique hobby or interest.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
what if you have no "additional" experience? what if you're still doing the same ol' thing you were doing when you submitted?
I'm just updating the number of hours I've been at each of my jobs, shadowing, and volunteering. Still all the same things, just more hours. I kind of think they want to see that we didn't just quit everything since the VMCAS was done and that we're still preparing. That might be why they send it out so late compared to everyone else.what if you have no "additional" experience? what if you're still doing the same ol' thing you were doing when you submitted?
I'm just updating the number of hours I've been at each of my jobs, shadowing, and volunteering. Still all the same things, just more hours. I kind of think they want to see that we didn't just quit everything since the VMCAS was done and that we're still preparing. That might be why they send it out so late compared to everyone else.
For the animal/clinic section, I think it said to do that. But what about other activities - it said not to repeat information claimed on VMCAS? So do we just say we're continuing and add no other info?
Woot! Just submitted it. It took me forever to find a way to write the challenges essay. Always had either too much to say or not enough.
I called them last week to ask because I had mentioned my TAing in my VMCAS but I only had a few hours in there and most of my hours were earned after I submitted. The answer was to put anything on there that shows you've been active since the application. Obviously, don't update something just to add 5-10 hours, but if you have continued to do something and that something adds umph to your application, by all means update the hours. What they don't want is: "I continued volunteering at x place and got 5 more hours." Don't be afraid to call them if you have questions. The ladies I spoke to were very nice. 🙂
For the animal/clinic section, I think it said to do that. But what about other activities - it said not to repeat information claimed on VMCAS? So do we just say we're continuing and add no other info?
I called them last week to ask because I had mentioned my TAing in my VMCAS but I only had a few hours in there and most of my hours were earned after I submitted. The answer was to put anything on there that shows you've been active since the application. Obviously, don't update something just to add 5-10 hours, but if you have continued to do something and that something adds umph to your application, by all means update the hours. What they don't want is: "I continued volunteering at x place and got 5 more hours." Don't be afraid to call them if you have questions. The ladies I spoke to were very nice. 🙂
Ugh... @Felixor90 I've officially decided that you are far to on the ball. I've barely started the supplemental and haven't even begun the essays lol. I honestly don't have time to sit and process those essays right now. Thank goodness for Thanksgiving break!
Ugh... @Felixor90 I've officially decided that you are far to on the ball. I've barely started the supplemental and haven't even begun the essays lol. I honestly don't have time to sit and process those essays right now. Thank goodness for Thanksgiving break!
Sorry! I hate having things unfinished. I did everything except for the challenges/hardships essay the day it came out and it's been nagging at me but I just couldn't find a way to write it in a way that didn't sound like "woe is me!"

Yea I hear that. I did all the easy stuff the same day too. I just don't know how to even begin some of those essays and I'm honestly way too busy to give it the time I know it deserves right now lol. Where all did you apply? I keep seeing you pop up on a lot of the same threads I follow hahaSorry! I hate having things unfinished. I did everything except for the challenges/hardships essay the day it came out and it's been nagging at me but I just couldn't find a way to write it in a way that didn't sound like "woe is me!"![]()
Michigan, Iowa, Florida, Illinois, Kansas, and of course Wisconsin. Wisconsin is my top choice, though. 🙂Yea I hear that. I did all the easy stuff the same day too. I just don't know how to even begin some of those essays and I'm honestly way too busy to give it the time I know it deserves right now lol. Where all did you apply? I keep seeing you pop up on a lot of the same threads I follow haha
I know it says "optional information" but is it going to be weird if I don't write anything for the "Provide additional information describing any circumstances or events that you believe may have adversely affected your qualifications for veterinary medical school..." question? I don't really have anything else to say after that diversity statement!
I seem to remember that when I was applying, I just assumed that all that stuff about voting, your parent's house, and driver's license stuff was all meant to prove residency. I was out-of-state and not trying to prove residency so I skipped the whole section after saying I wasn't from Wisconsin. Things may have changed, but it might be worth asking if it is already a headache to fill out. Good luck to everyone!
Is there a chance we could hear back before Feb? Wisconsin is my #1 so I'd love to skip all these expensive interviews if I just got into this school. Would suck to pay for all those interview trips just to cancel the apps in the rare chance I get into Wisconsin.
Ha! I wish. If you figure out a way to get accepted early, let me know ! 🙂Is there a chance we could hear back before Feb? Wisconsin is my #1 so I'd love to skip all these expensive interviews if I just got into this school. Would suck to pay for all those interview trips just to cancel the apps in the rare chance I get into Wisconsin.
Hello everyone! So I am filling out the supplemental and one question was a little confusing:
Do you come from an underrepresented ethnic background?
My mother is a Mexican immigrant. I just do not know what is considered underrepresented and how much detail they want in the description for it.
Any thoughts?
Do you come from an underrepresented ethnic background?
My mother is a Mexican immigrant. I just do not know what is considered underrepresented and how much detail they want in the description for it.
Any thoughts?
I think you should answer yes for that question and just describe your circumstances " I am the child of a mexican immigrant etc"Hello everyone! So I am filling out the supplemental and one question was a little confusing:
Do you come from an underrepresented ethnic background?
My mother is a Mexican immigrant. I just do not know what is considered underrepresented and how much detail they want in the description for it.
Any thoughts?
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hi all! Newb here, though I've been lurking for a few months now. 🙄
Madison is my top choice school, so I'm being very meticulous about this app! I just have a couple of questions for everyone in regards to the Ethnicity section. I'm a first-generation Polish immigrant and came to the States just before I was 2. While Caucasian is not exactly "underrepresented," is an immigrant? Do I come from a "disadvantaged background"? My parents didn't know English when they moved to the States, and I had to learn in elementary school. With no family on this continent for support, it's never been easy for us. But I'm not sure whether this is what Madison is looking for in a "disadvantaged background."
Help, please?
Madison is my top choice school, so I'm being very meticulous about this app! I just have a couple of questions for everyone in regards to the Ethnicity section. I'm a first-generation Polish immigrant and came to the States just before I was 2. While Caucasian is not exactly "underrepresented," is an immigrant? Do I come from a "disadvantaged background"? My parents didn't know English when they moved to the States, and I had to learn in elementary school. With no family on this continent for support, it's never been easy for us. But I'm not sure whether this is what Madison is looking for in a "disadvantaged background."
Help, please?
Hi all! Newb here, though I've been lurking for a few months now. 🙄
Madison is my top choice school, so I'm being very meticulous about this app! I just have a couple of questions for everyone in regards to the Ethnicity section. I'm a first-generation Polish immigrant and came to the States just before I was 2. While Caucasian is not exactly "underrepresented," is an immigrant? Do I come from a "disadvantaged background"? My parents didn't know English when they moved to the States, and I had to learn in elementary school. With no family on this continent for support, it's never been easy for us. But I'm not sure whether this is what Madison is looking for in a "disadvantaged background."
Help, please?
I would put yes and explain exactly what you just wrote here. That's why they give you the space to explain. 🙂
I only put some tutoring hours. Everything else was old, vet or animal related. I think that's pretty normal.
Anyways, just submitted! My diversity statement isn't great but at least it's done?
Anyways, just submitted! My diversity statement isn't great but at least it's done?
Similar threads
- Replies
- 0
- Views
- 621