Wisconsin - Madison what's it realy like

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Caninerepro

Minnesota CVM 2013
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Ok so now I am trying to decide where I want to go live for the next four years. I have narrowed down my selections to Wisconsin and Minnesota. To be honest I am leaning toward U MN even though it is $16,000.00 / year more expensive, because they have a really good SA repro program, which is what I know I want to do. However, I also want to explore my options. So:

For those already there, or who went to Madison, what is it like? I am just finishing up an MS at Colorado State, I love it here because it is cold yet sunny in the winter, the summers are hot yet still sunny, the mountains start 10 miles west of my apartment, and I can get prettymuch anywhere anytime on my mountain bike. Plus the school is big enough to have most of the new toys, and the professors know their stuff and are happy to spread the knowledge. My dogs and I like to hike, I am a pretty hard core mountain biker, and I enjoy being out of doors. I am looking for a fairly laid back, active community where I can get away from school when I need to, drink a couple good microbrews from a local brewery, and hang out in a friendly, non-threatening environment. I like to work hard, play even harder, and just enjoy life.

So, what is the vibe, the pros and cons of your school, and any words of wisdom? I have heard a few good and some bad things about U W but need a little more info if I can find it.

Thanks for the input,
Kai
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
For $64,000 I would go wherever is cheapest and then do a residency at UMinn or something! That's a lot of moolah. Make sure you think that one over.

The money IS a factor -- more loans to pay off, but life is too short to spend four more years being miserable. I have already spent 10 years living in the drizzle that is Seattle. I have already had money, although I have none left after my recent divorce. 🙁 But I do not need to be wealthy, I need to be happy. So, money is a factor, but so is quality of life. I know, I need to go to Madison and experience it for myself. I was just trying to get a heads up first. I am seriously considering BOTH schools. Plus, Madison was the first to send me an acceptance, and they even called me personally to extend the deadline to submit my application by two weeks when I did not finish it before the deadline. That meant a lot to me, I did not expect it at all and was shocked when THEY called ME to offer it. I do remember that kindness. 😍

Kai
 
So, money is a factor, but so is quality of life.
Kai

Quality of life doesn't include only the time in vet school. The 4 years of "quality" may be sacrifice of much longer of your quality of life (take this from someone on the other side, already paying the loans) once you finish vet school.


Of course if money for school is not something you need loans for, don't pay any attention to me.
 
Quality of life doesn't include only the time in vet school. The 4 years of "quality" may be sacrifice of much longer of your quality of life (take this from someone on the other side, already paying the loans) once you finish vet school.


Of course if money for school is not something you need loans for, don't pay any attention to me.

No I do not have the spare cash anymore, so cost is a factor. That is why I am torn as to my decision, and was looking for advice. $64,000.00 is about 7 months of my salary when I get out of vet school. Yes I know that is more than the median income of a starting vet, but I am going into a specialty field, and I have already been offered a position post-graduation and know what I will be making, approximatly. The thing is, MN has the people in my field that WI does not. I guess I just need to go out to WI for their open house and see for myself.
 
No I do not have the spare cash anymore, so cost is a factor. That is why I am torn as to my decision, and was looking for advice. $64,000.00 is about 7 months of my salary when I get out of vet school. Yes I know that is more than the median income of a starting vet, but I am going into a specialty field, and I have already been offered a position post-graduation and know what I will be making, approximatly. The thing is, MN has the people in my field that WI does not. I guess I just need to go out to WI for their open house and see for myself.

I will be a specialist also...BUT tell that to my residency paycheck...

Do you not need to do an internship/residency?
 
I will be a specialist also...BUT tell that to my residency paycheck...

Do you not need to do an internship/residency?

If I want to get boarded yes, but I do not really have to be boarded to work at the clinic, the vet who owns the clinic is not and does not see the need since for therio you have to be cleared on all species, there is not a SA therio division, and she does not see the point in learning all the LA species. I may or may not get boarded, for right now getting through vet school is daunting enough.