Wisconsin Supplemental Essay/Short Answer Questions

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

sheepishsheep

Full Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hello,

Would any previous Wisconsin applicants be able to tell me what the essay/short answer questions were from last year's supplemental application (not the data form)?

Thank you!
 
Hello,

Would any previous Wisconsin applicants be able to tell me what the essay/short answer questions were from last year's supplemental application (not the data form)?

Thank you!

I think one question is about what kind of diversity you would bring to the class. The other is a chance to update them if you've gotten additional experience between VMCAS submission and when the supplemental application comes out. Someone who has applied more recently can correct me. Regardless, it is a very low stress supplemental and you get plenty of time to do it.
 
I think one question is about what kind of diversity you would bring to the class. The other is a chance to update them if you've gotten additional experience between VMCAS submission and when the supplemental application comes out. Someone who has applied more recently can correct me. Regardless, it is a very low stress supplemental and you get plenty of time to do it.

Yeah, pretty sure that's what it was last year. There was a character limit and I had to shorten my essay I used on the Ohio Supplemental and tweak it a bit, but I don't remember the limit, I wanna say 300 words, but that might be wrong.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Do any previous applicants have any advice for the diversity essay? I'm basically your stereotypical middle class white girl who's wanted to be a vet since I was 5. I'm thinking about writing about my rural upbringing and my experience working in clinics with clients with a huge range of incomes and priorities for their pets. Fortunately, I don't have any serious economic disadvantage or discrimination issues that I've faced that I could write about...
 
Your ideas so far are good. Just remember that diversity can mean a lot of different things. It is just what makes you different.
Some ideas to help you find what might make you diverse:
Did you take any coursework that might set you apart? (majors or minors especially)
Do you have any interesting hobbies or extra-curriculars that might be unusual?
Do you have veterinary experience that many wouldn't have?
 
Another quick question: what is the general consensus on character limits? If my essay is 3300 characters and the limit is 4000, does that make me look lazy?
 
I think the general consensus is that the AdCom would rather read a concise but well-thought out response than one that rambles on but maximizes their character count.
 
Hmm, thanks. I'm not used to being on the low end of the word/character limit - usually I'm struggling to cut words and make words shorter to eek in under the limit! Hopefully Wisc will see my response as concise rather than skimpy.