Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

Dismiss Notice
Hey Texans—join us for a DFW meetup! Click here to learn more.

Wisconsin

Discussion in 'Pre-Veterinary' started by Nike87, Dec 31, 2008.

1. Nike87

Nike87 Nike87
    2+ Year Member

Pre-Veterinary
    I didn't see any threads soley about Wisconsin yet so... I figured why not start one. Feel free to rant, share any thoughts about the school, ask questions, whatever you want. AND keep eachother updated about any news from the school. Although, they usually don't start sending ANYTHING out until middle of February.

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. Badger Girl

2+ Year Member

Pre-Veterinary
    I'm not even close to applying, but it is my IS and will be the one and only school I apply to. I do know that Lynn Maki at the vet school is super nice and really helpful! I have been very impressed thus far. Go Badgers! :D

4. littlelisa

2+ Year Member

Veterinary Student
    Also my in state school, and I'm really crossing my fingers that I'll get in this cycle!! Badger Girl, I'm not sure if you're only applying to Madison because you're chances are best by being in state, but I would strongly suggest applying to more schools than just one. I've applied to 8 schools this cycle, and it would be very hard following this forum with only my Madison supplemental to count on. I initially thought I would only go to Madison, but with the amount of time and effort it takes to go through an application cycle you must make it worth it by applying everywhere that you think you might have a chance. But in the end, I hope we both get into Madison!!

5. Badger Girl

2+ Year Member

Pre-Veterinary
    Thanks for the advice littlelisa! I have thought long and hard about this decision and concluded that I am only applying to Madison b/c for one reason, my dad was recently diagnosed with Parkinson's and I want to be as close to home as possible since the progression of his disease is unknown. I'm also a non-trad and have already completed a Master's degree, so I am doing pre-reqs to meet Madison's requirements. I'd have to take a few other classes to meet Minnesota and other OS school pre-req requirements. My friend is in her fourth year at MN, so I actually went to a couple of lectures with her last year. Great school, but in the end, I just want to be as close to home as possible. My BF has a good job where we live now, so it is possible that just I will move to Madison, which is about 2 hours away, and then come home on weekends and breaks from school. Initially I was going to apply to several schools, but life happens sometimes!

6. littlelisa

2+ Year Member

Veterinary Student
    life sure does happen, I hope everything works out for Madison in your future!!

7. Badger Girl

2+ Year Member

Pre-Veterinary
    Thanks! :) I also hope it works out, b/c I know it is a gamble just applying to one school!

8. Nike87

Nike87 Nike87
    2+ Year Member

Pre-Veterinary
    I too am applying IS this cycle. I was OOS last cycle, but I moved to madison this past summer for a full time job. So I get to apply IS. Which is nice b/c it was my first choice all along.

I also only applied to just UW though, mainly for similar reasons as Badgergirl. Both of my grandmas are probably in their last year or 2 along with an Uncle I'm really close too. Plus, to be completey honest I love UW and its right in my price range. haha.

9. LVT2DVM

LVT2DVM UGA-CVM c/o 2013
    2+ Year Member

Veterinary Student

#8 LVT2DVM, Dec 31, 2008
    Last edited: Feb 11, 2009
  10. starlene45

starlene45 UC Davis SVM c/o 2013
    2+ Year Member

Veterinary Student
    My hat's in the ring for UW-Madison (OOS)... Lots of fingers crossed!! It seems like an amazing school and everyone tells me that I would love Madison, so I decided to go for it. Definitely one of my top choices! Good luck everyone!:xf::luck::xf:

11. badgerlove

2+ Year Member

Pre-Veterinary
    OOS applying to Wisconsin as well! I go to UW for undergrad... do not have a single complaint about the school and would love to stick around for 4 more years! I completely agree about applying to multiple schools... especially if your GPA and GRE scores aren't stellar. Because Wisconsin doesn't have an interview process, it may be beneficial to apply to schools that do... that way you can go out and sell yourself in person! Just a thought... :)

12. tpad40

tpad40 Penn Vet 2013!!
    2+ Year Member

Pre-Veterinary
    anyone know what the timeline is as far as hearing from UW? I was pretty sure they didn't interview, right? I'm sure I have this all recorded neatly somewhere during the application madness but I am trying to pretend I didn't apply to vet school this year in order to keep me from going insane waiting :)

13. DVMorBust

DVMorBust UW SVM Class of 2013
    2+ Year Member

Veterinary Student
    They don't interview, and last year people heard I believe late Feb/early March?

14. equus2013

2+ Year Member

Pre-Veterinary
    nike87 what are the reqs for residency in WI? i live in IL, only one mile from WI and I applied OOS this year but am considering trying to get residency if I dont get it. thanks for the help!!

15. Nike87

Nike87 Nike87
    2+ Year Member

Pre-Veterinary
    There is an entire page about WI residency, but from what I can interpret is either you move to WI (not because you have classes in the state) and live there for at least 1 year prior to classes, you move there because of a full time job, or a few others. There was a link on the supplemental application that discussed all the residency requirements. I'd check there. Hope that helps :)

16. Nike87

Nike87 Nike87
    2+ Year Member

Pre-Veterinary
    Just a thought in the back of my head. Does anyone know if there is a difference between the envelope size if you get rejected vs accepted? I know all school are different.

17. dyachei

dyachei vet robot pirate zombie
    Administrator Veterinarian 10+ Year Member

Veterinarian
    Please click one of the Quick Reply icons in the posts above to activate Quick Reply.

18. wildvet

wildvet UIUC CVM Class of 2013
    2+ Year Member

Pre-Veterinary
    Does anyone have a link to the page about residency? I doubt that I would qualify, but it would be nice to look just in case. I live in IL, but have family that lives out there, and spent most of my childhood staying with them... probably not enough grounds for becoming a WI resident, but at least it would settle the question lol.

19. wi girl

wi girl Wisconsin SVM c/o 2012
    2+ Year Member

Veterinary Student
    I got my letter in a big envelope at the very beginning of March last year. Just so you all know ... it was shortly after Mn interview, so probably early early march.

20. WildlifeSaver

2+ Year Member

Pre-Veterinary
    Wait, WI veterinary medical school doesn't have a interview process? Haha, I just took a visit this summer and I didn't get that information down!

21. elefante7

elefante7 UW Madison SVM c/o 2013!
    10+ Year Member

Veterinarian
    I just got this email

We hope that you have had a good winter break, and are enjoying the new year! We are pleased that you have chosen to apply to the University of Wisconsin, School of Veterinary Medicine. In the next month, our admissions committee will begin to meet to review and select applicants for the Class of 2013. We plan to notify you of the committee's decision in early March.

Please contact our office if you have any questions about your application to the School, information about address changes, or updates to your anticipated spring semester schedule. We're happy to help you through this admissions process.

Thanks!

Lynn Maki
    Director of Admissions
    School of Veterinary Medicine
    University of Wisconsin-Madison
    [email protected]

22. LilDeadGirl

LilDeadGirl Nervous
    2+ Year Member

Pre-Veterinary
    I hate that they don't send anything out until early March. It makes waiting that much harder. School starts soon at least so I can keep my mind on other things though I'm just sitting right now and waiting to see if any of the schools I applied to are gonna tell me anything earlier. I have my birthday in early march so here is to hoping good birthday news. I think I should have applied to more schools. 5 may not have been enough with the amount of people applying ...

23. LVT2DVM

LVT2DVM UGA-CVM c/o 2013
    2+ Year Member

Veterinary Student

#22 LVT2DVM, Jan 14, 2009
  24. LVT2DVM

LVT2DVM UGA-CVM c/o 2013
    2+ Year Member

Veterinary Student

#23 LVT2DVM, Jan 18, 2009
  25. VAgirl

VAgirl UC Davis SVM c/o 2012
    2+ Year Member

Veterinary Student
    FYI, I think the first thing I got was a call from someone on the adcom.

26. mooturkey

2+ Year Member

Pre-Veterinary
    I am also anxiously awaiting a reply from Wisconsin. It is probably my number 1 school along with ISU. I am OOS for both, and if I do not get into any schools this year, I am definitely moving to Wisconsin to get IS and reapply next year. I visited the school in 2008 and fell in love with the town, people, and environment. My fiancee also loved it, and could easily find a job. 20 spots for OOS!!!! haha, well, still keeping my fingers crossed! Good luck to everyone else who applied also. I will revisit this forum whenever I hear back :)

27. Catnapper

Catnapper UTK c/o 2013
    2+ Year Member

Veterinary Student
    OOS. Applied. Not a snowball's chance. But I don't like having money and decided to donate to various schools and the ETS via application/test fees...gotta get that philanthropy ball rolling! :thumbup:

28. mooturkey

2+ Year Member

Pre-Veterinary
    Haha. Good one Catnapper. If only we could actually claim it for tax purposes :)

29. DVMorBust

2+ Year Member

Veterinary Student
    So, guys, it looks like we should be starting to hear pretty soon...how's everyone feeling about the school/program? Anyone else started the obsessive mailbox check?

30. Greyhound2009

Greyhound2009 Wisconsin c/o 2013

Veterinary Student
    Hey everyone! I'm new to this forum...I figured it was about time I joined the fun :)

That's an affirmative on the obsessive mailbox check. I think I'm starting to freak out the mailman. Here's to hoping some news comes soon! I'll be keeping my fingers crossed for all of you as well.

31. elefante7

10+ Year Member

Veterinarian
    The last thing they sent out said we wouldn't find out until early March. I'm anxious too, but I think we're jumping the gun a bit.

32. DVMorBust

2+ Year Member

Veterinary Student
    I think last year people started getting acceptances around 2/15 or so...I'm not sure if they really pushed it back, or if they're just covering themselves in case the letters don't go out as soon.

33. littlelisa

2+ Year Member

Veterinary Student
    Here's last year's Wisconsin thread, if anyone's wondering about when acceptances might be showing up and pretty much everything else you might want to know. I actually read the whole thing, its long. I'm a little obsessed.

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=488825

34. Greyhound2009

Greyhound2009 Wisconsin c/o 2013

Veterinary Student
    Thanks, littlelisa! This helps.

And I may have read it most of the way through as well...

35. mooturkey

2+ Year Member

Pre-Veterinary
    Oh man... I hope they call OOS early this year like they did last year. I should hopefully be hearing from Iowa State this week (by sunday)...and would LOVE LOVE LOVE to hear from Wisconsin also!!! It makes all the difference in the world between staying in Organic Chem II or dropping it. haha. I'm relatively stressed over it. Would be nice just to know either way...

PS... I think I might just about cry looking at the statistics from last year. It's seems near hopeless!

#34 mooturkey, Feb 9, 2009
    Last edited: Feb 9, 2009
  36. Catnapper

Catnapper UTK c/o 2013
    2+ Year Member

Veterinary Student
    Aww, mooturkey...there-there. That's because it IS hopeless! :banana:

37. tnpfan

2+ Year Member

Pre-Veterinary
    Is Wisconsin the only school that doesn't require an interview?

38. elefante7

10+ Year Member

Veterinarian
    Colorado State is another.

39. LVT2DVM

LVT2DVM UGA-CVM c/o 2013
    2+ Year Member

Veterinary Student

#38 LVT2DVM, Feb 10, 2009
  40. SmallAndLA

SmallAndLA KSUCVM Class of 2013
    2+ Year Member

Veterinary Student
    Hey all....just got this letter from Lynn:

"This message is to provide you with an update on the progress of the admission decisions at the University of Wisconsin, School of Veterinary Medicine. Our admissions committee is in the process of selecting the class. Our target date for mailing out the admission letters is February 23, 2009. We wanted to notify everyone of the progress of our review and to inform you that our Open House for the invited applicants will be held on Friday, April 3, 2009 from 12:00-5:00pm.

Your letter will be mailed to your mail address shown here:

(insert current address here)

Please be sure to contact our office if this address is incorrect or has changed in the recent past.

Best wishes to you in the admission process!

Lynn Maki
    Director of Admissions
    School of Veterinary Medicine
    University of Wisconsin-Madison
    [email protected]"

So glad to know that we'll know before March!!! :luck: to everyone!

41. ZooNose

ZooNose Tufts Class of 2013
    2+ Year Member

Veterinary Student
    That email made my heart skip a beat! I have been obsessing over hearing something today (based on last year). Ok breathe in .. breathe out ...

42. SmallAndLA

2+ Year Member

Veterinary Student
    Me too, ZooNose!! Thunderbird popped up with "Update from Wisconsin" and I nearly fell out of my chair!

I've been obsessing about a phone call too -- I've programmed all of the phone numbers for the SVM in my phone and set the ringer for them as 'On, Wisconsin' so I know who's calling even if I can't see it...and I'm even risking having to bake cookies for my A&P class by keeping the ringer on...

I'm such a nerd... :hungover:

43. Ailurophile

Pre-Veterinary

I thought they were sending out emails....Do you think they will do both?

44. SmallAndLA

2+ Year Member

Veterinary Student
    Good question, Ailurophile...I have no idea.

It looks like there was a 9-10 day lag period between when the email from this morning was sent out to when the first phone calls/emails went out last year. And it looks like those calls and emails only went to OOS students while IS had to wait for letters.

It seems (at least, looking at SDN) that phone calls and emails have been used in years past, so I wouldn't expect them to stop doing them.

I might be analyzing this too much as well. I do that sometimes. :p

45. equus2013

2+ Year Member

Pre-Veterinary
    man i was all set to try and be patient until the 23rd but now i read last years thread and they def heard earlier! ahhh!!

46. Ailurophile

Pre-Veterinary
    I havent been able to find how Wi evaluates their applicants. You know the breakdown of points, percentage weight for each catagory (GPA, GRE, ect..). Has anyone seen that info anywhere?

47. equus2013

2+ Year Member

Pre-Veterinary
    I know they discuss what they are looking for on the admissions web page, but I haven't seen anything breaking everything down. I wish though!

48. sbrook

2+ Year Member

Pre-Veterinary
    So I have never posted before but have been following this thread.
    Did everyone recieve the update email? I didn't get anything. :confused:

I checked my status page and all my transcripts are in and they have my correct address. Should I be worried???
    I am OOS I don't know if that would make a difference.
    Maybe I am just overreacting, but I can't help from freaking out.:D

49. invivovet

2+ Year Member

Veterinary Student
    I'm OOS and received it... did you check your junk mail?

50. spyisis

spyisis KSU CVM Class of 2013
    2+ Year Member

Veterinary Student
    I didn't get it either, I don't know why. I've checked all my deleted, and junk mail. Maybe it will come on Monday?

51. sbrook

2+ Year Member

Pre-Veterinary
    Not in my junk mail, but it is good to hear not everyone got it. If no word by mon I think I will email Lynn.