Wisconsin

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
So I ran out of class: no calls, so I rushed home to check here to see if anyone else got a call. Uhg!!!! I am starting to lose all hope. My stats are nothing like the OOSers who have been accepted, and how many slots are left for OOS, Maybe 15?
How late at night should I sit by the phone, when did all of you get your calls?
Sorry Im just rambling, nothing else to do.
:scared::scared::scared:

I'm also wondering what time of day people got called....

Members don't see this ad.

ahhh this is torture!!! I had class today in a room without reception and had a voicemail but they didnt leave a message...sigh i guess if it was UW they would have left a message...boooo this is horrible!!!

Wait... They don't leave messages! Maybe wait to see if they will call again or give them a call?

okay, so, since everyone else here is obviously just as stressed as me about this, i feel i can freely admit this hilarious and embarrassing thing:

i actually had a dream last night that they called me and offered me a spot, and it was so vivid that i actually CHECKED MY CELL PHONE when i woke up, to make sure that i had actually dreamed it, and not just answered a phone call while half asleep :laugh::laugh::laugh:

however, it was all just a dream... sigh... pretty sure i'm gonna have to cross this one off the list... O WELL!

Starlene45, because you shared, I have a vivid dream well... nightmare to share. I had a nightmare that I got an acceptance letter. WOOHOO! But then when I examined it closer it was someone with the first name as me, but definitely not me. :( HORRIBLE DREAM!!!

Members don't see this ad :)
They first called me at 8:30 pm on the 17th. But I didn't get to talk to the professor who called me till around 9 last night.

I still have to call him back regarding some questions I have. I will be more than willing to ask him anything u guys wish. Let me know!

Good luck!!!:luck:

I know there is a thread called "Factors when picking a school" but only one person posted there about UW-Madison and they never actually attended. I am wondering what all of you think the pros and cons of UW are. And if there is a student reading this that is currently at UW, I would LOVE to hear from you. The only real negative I have read (beside it being quite chilly) is that the facility is old. I am also particularly interested in knowing what the teaching is like. I read that a con for some other schools was that profs may be more interested in research and not as interested in teaching and that students do not feel like professors get to know them. Anyone have a sense of this at UW? There are several reasons why I think UW is wonderful, but I have yet to visit. I will name a couple MAJOR reasons here, though. Madison is a great place to live!! Another HUGE plus is the relatively low tuition compared to other schools. I do not have an In-State school and UW appears to have the second to lowest OOS cost when everything is considered (tuition, fees, room, board, etc.). Further, from my understanding, students in their fourth year have very good size case loads as opposed to other schools that may have less access to food animals (my interest), for example. Oh and another big bonus (not to be doom and gloom), but with the current economic crisis a lot of schools are hurting. (I'm just assuming the following, I do not know it to be fact, so don't quote me.) A lot of schools have endowments that are in funds which are tied to the stock market; therefore, many schools are seeing their endowments go down. I am fearful for what this may mean for the private schools (Tufts, Penn Vet and Western). On the other hand, the University of Wisconsin (not just the veterinary school, of course, but the whole university) received about 1 billion dollars in funding and government grants. I am sure that they will experience some cutbacks, but even a percentage of 1 billion is still a lot. If not having the newest facilities means that they are less in debt and can keep their doors open for a long time, I will take that over the alternative any day. Please share your thoughts.

They first called me at 8:30 pm on the 17th. But I didn't get to talk to the professor who called me till around 9 last night.

I still have to call him back regarding some questions I have. I will be more than willing to ask him anything u guys wish. Let me know!

Good luck!!!:luck:

:hello:I have one.
Have they called everyone that has been accepted already?:xf:

You dont really have to ask that but I couldnt help but try. :smuggrin:

So...keep the phone close until midnight is what you're saying right? :laugh: Are they calling from home or are they seriously staying in the office that late?

bovinus, I was disappointed to not see anything about UWM on that thread either. I just know they have a great dairy program (they have to -- they're WISCONSIN for goodness' sake) and since that's my career goal, it only made sense to apply. And compared to another school in a different state that claims its cows harbor more positive feelings than Wisconsin cows, Wisconsin's OOS tuition wins. Hands down. (And their cheese does too.:p)

Do you have your MS? Random question I know, but I am finishing up my Master's right now, and I used that as one of the reasons why I bring diversity lol...maybe you did too?! Oh, and congrats!! :laugh:

*I did not get my Master's... just a bachelor's degree. I did do a program at UCD Vet School for a few weeks where I dabbled in a little bit of everything, so he said they really liked the diversity of my experience and also that I had good LOR's.

*I believe they are calling the whole class personally, at least that's what I'm pretty sure I heard. What happened with me was he told me the good news, told me what they liked about my application, then told me about the information session in April, and then gave me his email and phone number in case I had questions.

*I don't think I'm going to take the seat, so good news for at least one alternate! :)

*Good luck to everyone who hasn't heard yet! Best Wishes.:luck:

They called me at around 3pm-ish Pacific time, and the number they called me showed up on my phone as "unavailable."

Last edited:
I have reached a new low. I actually just brought my phone into the bathroom with me while I took a shower. I am like the girl in "He's Just Not That Into You," waiting for a call from a stupid date ... wow, and we all know how that story ends. Arg!

I know there is a thread called "Factors when picking a school" but only one person posted there about UW-Madison and they never actually attended. I am wondering what all of you think the pros and cons of UW are. And if there is a student reading this that is currently at UW, I would LOVE to hear from you. The only real negative I have read (beside it being quite chilly) is that the facility is old. I am also particularly interested in knowing what the teaching is like. I read that a con for some other schools was that profs may be more interested in research and not as interested in teaching and that students do not feel like professors get to know them. Anyone have a sense of this at UW? There are several reasons why I think UW is wonderful, but I have yet to visit. I will name a couple MAJOR reasons here, though. Madison is a great place to live!! Another HUGE plus is the relatively low tuition compared to other schools. I do not have an In-State school and UW appears to have the second to lowest OOS cost when everything is considered (tuition, fees, room, board, etc.). Further, from my understanding, students in their fourth year have very good size case loads as opposed to other schools that may have less access to food animals (my interest), for example. Oh and another big bonus (not to be doom and gloom), but with the current economic crisis a lot of schools are hurting. (I'm just assuming the following, I do not know it to be fact, so don't quote me.) A lot of schools have endowments that are in funds which are tied to the stock market; therefore, many schools are seeing their endowments go down. I am fearful for what this may mean for the private schools (Tufts, Penn Vet and Western). On the other hand, the University of Wisconsin (not just the veterinary school, of course, but the whole university) received about 1 billion dollars in funding and government grants. I am sure that they will experience some cutbacks, but even a percentage of 1 billion is still a lot. If not having the newest facilities means that they are less in debt and can keep their doors open for a long time, I will take that over the alternative any day. Please share your thoughts.

I am in the current round of OOS applications, so I don't know what it is like to go to school there, but I did get the chance to tour the school this past fall. I pretty much came up with the same list as you as far as pros and cons.

Pros:

1) For me, research is pretty important, since that is the specialty I am leaning towards. They have high funding, and the type of research I am interested in, so that is a plus.
2) When I went to visit them, not only were they the nicest people I had ever met (maybe in my entire life), but they really just made me feel like I wanted to be a part of their school. It's a relatively small class size, I felt they were personable. I don't know how the teachers could NOT know your name, with classes that small. And the student that toured me around just went on and on about how much she loved the school and loved wisconsin, etc. She even answered questions I had later through and extremely detailed email. The people out there just seemed like they cared (unlike some other vet schools I toured who wouldn't give me the time of day)
4) Low OOS tuition.
5) My fiancee is interested in agriculture/dairy, so what better place for him to get a job also?
6) Can possibly establish in-state residency after 1 year if you can prove you live there not just for education, etc.

Cons:
1) Not as high-tech as some other places, but that doesn't really mean too much.
2) I think it is a newer program than most schools, so maybe it's not as established yet?
3) Parking appears to be expensive. $450-500/year for lot parking that is 10-15 mins away.
4) Snows a lot. But they sure know how to plow roads out there, and should be fine getting to class. They barely cancel class, but they seem flexible... obviously they don't want you to risk your life to get there.

So that's all I can really come up with. For me, it is the perfect place, even though I know it is a long shot to get in there. My plan B (if I don't get into any vet schools this year) is to actually move to Wisconsin and apply the next round as IS, that's how much I loved it there. I am from NJ, and I think I am just done with the east coast mentality. I need some good ole Midwest hospitality!

4) Snows a lot. But they sure know how to plow roads out there, and should be fine getting to class. They barely cancel class, but they seem flexible... obviously they don't want you to risk your life to get there.
Haha! You're in for a surprise! Madison is terrible at clearing the roads. I'm OK with it because it keeps the nasties out of the lakes. I guess it's just the price you have to pay for being on an isthmus.

I just got my acceptance phone call today!! I felt pretty silly because I didn't know what to say- I was in too much shock. For everyone still waiting, I got the call at around 5:30pm eastern time so they definitely seem to be calling people after hours. Also, the number came up as anonymous.

Good luck to everyone!!

:soexcited::soexcited::soexcited::soexcited:

Members don't see this ad :)
haha I'm not sure if Madison can be more terrible than NJ. It snows an inch here, and they go into a state of emergency. At least Wisconsin get real snow and has the equipment to handle it. The girl I had talked to said she owned a little car and was able to make it to class on most days. I think I'd still get myself a 4WD truck if I went out there though. What do you mean by keeping the "nasties" out of the lake? haha

PS... congrats to all you OOS who have already heard back! I am very excited for you :)

how many IS people are here? have any of you heard anything?

and congrats to those accepted!!! Madison's awesome despite the snow.

Haha! You're in for a surprise! Madison is terrible at clearing the roads.

Man is that right. Although, like you said, it's definitely a tradeoff. in Milwaukee, they ROCK at road clearing, but every spring there's a TON of potholes to repair. Last spring, I popped my hubcap off in one...I was teaching a friend to drive stick and she thought she broke the car. . . then this guy started following us for about a mile until he pulled up alongside and told us about the hubcap. We went back, sure enough - there it was halfway down the block.

Back to the relevant - you can actually manage to make it around Madison on cross-country skis for part of the winter. :D

So...I'm gonna go ahead and assume 'waitlisted' or 'rejected' is my status at Wisconsin.

I suppose I'll find out for certain on Tuesday when I get back to my mailbox!

Hopefully some more phonecalls go out tomorrow for those of you still waiting. :luck:

Yep, not feeling too good right about now. I can't believe I have to go thru this again tomorrow!!!

Ditto for me. This really sucks.

Back to the relevant - you can actually manage to make it around Madison on cross-country skis for part of the winter. :D

Haha, regarding the skis...I've actually seen people do that down Bascom Hill (rather steep hill on campus). It was quite amusing.

And regarding vet school stuff, I'm IS and I'm pretty sure the letters have officially gone out (from what I heard). Not too much longer, guys!

CONGRATULATIONS EVERYONE! :highfive:Good luck to those still waiting :luck:

ok, this is unhealthy but I'm trying to keep track of how many OOS seats are left, can everybody who has gotten an acceptance call (CONGRATS by the way!!!) post? Thanks!!

oh one other thing, i couldnt help myself and called the admis office yesterday and they said the entire class ISN"T getting called for acceptance, they only call certain special OOS-ers so don't lose hope if you havent heard!

Equus2013 Thanks for checking on the phone call thing, that makes me feel a lot better. Maybe I can just wait for the mail.

And regarding vet school stuff, I'm IS and I'm pretty sure the letters have officially gone out (from what I heard). Not too much longer, guys!

Do you know when they went out? Trying to figure out if I should be racing home from work today or not doing any errands tomorrow :)

Also - are they sending ALL letters at the same time? Or just acceptances?

yesterday the said they were still working on the letters. its my impression that they all go out at the same time but im not sure...

equus2013, thank you SO MUCH for calling and asking about the whole phone call thing. You are a hero amongst applicants. :D

That gives me a small beacon of hope...if letters haven't been sent out, apparently I'll have to wait a little bit longer than Tuesday. That's okay.

As usual, :luck: to everyone!

Not to give ya'll a heart attack, but last year they called me a week after most people had gotten calls and it was after hours. They did leave a message to have me call back. I was OOS. I am not trying to give false hope or anything, but SDN will drive you crazy sometimes thinking it is over when it ain't!

And yes, I know the grammar in that last paragraph was atrocious.

haha no problem, im glad to spread around a little hopeful news! We can only handle so much stress! good luck to everybody :)

Good luck to all of you trying to join me @ Wisconsin. Stumbled on this yesterday and saw requests for pros/cons of WI (factors when picking a school). Currently a student, so I threw one together. Check it out if interested . . .

ok, so does anyone know how many OOSers they take? trying to figure out my chances, although it doesn't look good...

they take up to 20, not sure how many they will take this year. i know a couple OOSers have gotten acceptance calls but im not sure how many are left..

i'm waitlisted #10, IS

I have so many questions for them, I'm calling Monday

Oh man. Yikes. I was doing OK, now I won't be able to do anything until the mail gets here.

Do you know how much the waitlist usually moves?

THat is AWE-some news littlelisa. Better than a rejection. Have any idea how the IS list moves, fast I hope for you. I think last year I saw someone who was #65 on WI list, so it must move pretty good or they wouldnt assign that many alternates.

So what did the envelope look like?

65? my letter said last year they got down to #11. so that scared me. the letter says "it is difficult at this time to assess the likelihood of whether you will be invited to be a member of the class of 2013. last year, eleven resident alternates were offered admission. It is, however impossible to speculate whether the number of alternates offered admission this year will be similar to the number offered admission last year."

ok, so #11 IS, I wish I knew if they had seperate lists for IS and OOS. will I move up whether an IS or OOS drops of only if an IS drops. thats why I really want to call Monday. I also want to know if they will call right away if a spot opens up or if I have to wait for another letter or if they will send out another batch of acceptances. I think there's an open house on April 2, so maybe many people will make decisions after that date. oh geez, i'm not going to be able to concentrate on anything for a very very long time....

Oh man. Yikes. I was doing OK, now I won't be able to do anything until the mail gets here.

Do you know how much the waitlist usually moves?

Hey, you got accepted at Tufts...cant imagine your ISS wouldnt take you.

I...on the other hand, am shaking in my boots. I was getting ready to go run some errands, but now I just want to camp out at the mailbox. :scared:

11 heh, uhmmmm perhaps the #65 person was OSS. Typically most schools have seperate OS and IS waitlist. Therefore, an IS student would have to declined to recieve an invitation. But this is my first application to WI? Not really an expert.

ok, that clears it up a bit, not the news I was hoping for though

but at least its not a regection

thick regular size envelope, which made me excited at first, with my name/address on it via sticker

the letter includes alternate list notification, statistics for those who are eligible/enrolled and residents/non-residents and a form you can send in if you no longer want to be considered for acceptance

Ahhhh Phewy! Nothing but advertisements. What was the postmark date? Might take til monday to get to Delaware.

thick regular size envelope, which made me excited at first, with my name/address on it via sticker

the letter includes alternate list notification, statistics for those who are eligible/enrolled and residents/non-residents and a form you can send in if you no longer want to be considered for acceptance

Ohhhhh. Can you post the OSS stats....Pleeeeeeessssseeee! Im dying here.

postmarked 2/20, wow that was fast

Enrolled OOS:

GRE
Q 722
V 594
A 4.6

GPA
Undergrad 3.76
Required courses 3.79
Last 30 credits 3.85

Enrolled IS:

GRE
Q 688
V 542
A 4.4

GPA
Undergrad 3.59
Required courses 3.59
Last 30 credits 3.66

Enrolled OOS:

GRE
Q 722
V 594
A 4.6

GPA
Undergrad 3.76
Required courses 3.79
Last 30 credits 3.85

Enrolled IS:

GRE
Q 688
V 542
A 4.4

GPA
Undergrad 3.59
Required courses 3.59
Last 30 credits 3.66

What do you mean by "enrolled"? Are those the statistics for the students that have been (or are going to be) invited to become a part of the class of 2013?

Thanks.

yup, they list the "eligible applicants" as well as the "enrolled applicants." So I assume enrolled is those that are accepted.

yup, they list the "eligible applicants" as well as the "enrolled applicants." So I assume enrolled is those that are accepted.

That doesn't make sense, though...enrolled is different than being accepted. Did they specify that it was class of 2013?

Could you list the stats for the eligible applicants? That SOUNDS more like 'accepted'...GAH this process makes me nuts.

It's strange that they call it "enrolled," don't you think...

Maybe they just don't want to redo the list later.

I would think a better title woud be "invited."