Wisconsin

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I'm jealous. I want an email...

Members don't see this ad.

I don't think I got the textbook info in an e-mail...maybe I need to go back and reread things though.

Although I did log-in and get the verdict on my loans. I received a letter in the mail the other day too notifying me of a scholarship. Yay! Every dollar helps. :D

I don't think I got the textbook info in an e-mail...maybe I need to go back and reread things though.

Although I did log-in and get the verdict on my loans. I received a letter in the mail the other day too notifying me of a scholarship. Yay! Every dollar helps. :D

The textbook info, evidently, isn't really there for us. It's in the class signup area - but only for some classes, and none of the vet ones have it yet that I've seen :(

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey is everyone able to log in with the info they sent in the f/a e-mail? I tried using the number they listed in the letter and the month/day of my b-day as requested 0803, but it does not work for me. Aahh. I am already neurotic enough ablout my decision to go there or about 250 miles west. I really want to overload myself with info before I jump off the deep end. :scared::scared::scared:

BTW, thanks to everyone here who has been doing the onsite research for me, y'all are making my decision even harder. :) Urg. I am even starting to like you people better than the ones at MN.

Wait, you're still deciding?

I wasn't able to login like that I think, but there was another login page I had in a previous e-mail that enabled me to go in and reset my pin and view my financial aid...let me go look and see.

I activated the netid and was able to login via this page, instead of the link in the financial aid e-mail.
http://my.wisc.edu

So did you mail in a deposit for both schools?
No deposit for WI. Seriously while I think I would enjoy the life at Madison far more, my main reason for sticking around is that WI is $16,000/ year less which after interest means saving $144,000.00 over a 30 year repayment! But, Madison does not have anyone in my field, and the two therio people they do have are dairy -- I am finishing my Masters in sexing dairy semen, do not plan to work in LA except maybe equine.

I can probably more than make up the difference in better income if I do MN, but damn that is a lot of money!!!! Sorry for making someone on the wait list sit a bit longer....

Finally... I GOT IN! The day after my birthday. HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO ME! hahaha. Good luck everyone still waiting and those of you heading to UW-Madison... SEE YOU IN THE FALL! :D:D:D

Also, anyone find any of the textbooks we need for this fall. Cause... I still can't find any. :confused:

Finally... I GOT IN! The day after my birthday. HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO ME! hahaha. Good luck everyone still waiting and those of you heading to UW-Madison... SEE YOU IN THE FALL! :D:D:D

Also, anyone find any of the textbooks we need for this fall. Cause... I still can't find any. :confused:

that's freakin' AWESOME!!!! I had no doubt you'd get in, CONGRATS!!!!! :highfive:

Yeah!!!!!! Did not realize you were not official yet. :):):)

Members don't see this ad :)
Now it is your turn. Gotta be getting close! Keep us informed :xf:

I called after I saw that you got in, I'm #5 just as I suspected. I asked if the class was full yet, she didn't know. I will call again in a few weeks and bug them a little more. I think they like that :D. Did they give you any information about whether the class was full yet?

I called after I saw that you got in, I'm #5 just as I suspected. I asked if the class was full yet, she didn't know. I will call again in a few weeks and bug them a little more. I think they like that :D. Did they give you any information about whether the class was full yet?

No no information about the class, just the congratulation would you like to accept the position. They did give a lil information about how my number got pulled up. Like I know one person deffered and another decline. Other than that I have no clue. Sorry. :(

Hey there you madison acceptees. i have been interested in buying a bovine anatomy book for awhile now. I was just wondering if you all had gotten your recommended text book list and which one was on it. I just thought since i want one really bad just to look at, i had better get the one that the school i am hoping to get into uses anyways.

They use Dyce, which is a pretty good physiology text. The best anatomy text for all species is the Pasquini and Spurgeon one, but I doubt you will find it in the "official" list. It is the book that everyone everywhere "unofficially" uses. I just finished teaching both the undergrad and grad level animal anatomy classes here at CSU, and I have about every anatomy text known to man. Spurgeon, and then Evans for dogs specifically are my favorites. I guess the question is, how many semesters of animal anatomy have you taken thus far? That will be a better barometer of what you need to focus on. Also remember, there will be people in class who have not even taken a single anatomy or physiology class! So I am sure they will be starting from scratch in our first semester.

I'm not sure if comparative vertebrate anatomy counts. . . but I guess I have taken 1 class.

You will be just fine, as in all our classes there will be some with more experience, some with less. I certainly will be relying on others to carry my butt in histology! To be honest I am not sure how helpful reading it out of a book will be, and also most gross anatomy classes I know of are based on the dissection of the dog, with maybe a special prep or two on the different species (horse, ox). I'd say start by getting a copy of Evans' Dissection of the Dog. (BTW either buy the smaller Evans guide, or the full Miller's Anatomy of the Dog -- they are the same book, the Evans guide is just the condensed version centered on the actual dissection w/o the physiology). Dyce is a good all around physiology text, not so much a dissection manual. I actually do not know the other two books listed as reccomended. As to the ox, do you know your four chambers of the ruminant stomach, the pillars and grooves, and the spiral loop? If you know that you are pretty much golden as to different internal anatomy. Everything else is pretty much the same species to species, except a muscle here, a nerve there.

I'm working on a dairy farm currently and have this itching to do 'necropsy' on the dead ones that pop up so that's why i want a bovine book- not that i'll know/figure out what i'm looking at if i ever get the gumption to open one up.

I have a question for littlelisa too. I am sitting currently #4 on the waitlist for madison, but i was wondering why you think you got into iowa, but waitlisted at wisconsin- even though you're wi resident? next cycle, i'm definitely applying to more schools. and hopefully iowa will work out!

I have a question for littlelisa too. I am sitting currently #4 on the waitlist for madison, but i was wondering why you think you got into iowa, but waitlisted at wisconsin- even though you're wi resident? next cycle, i'm definitely applying to more schools. and hopefully iowa will work out!

I have no idea why it turned out this way. I'm currently #5 for Madison, and with the class being full I'm intending on going to Iowa. I wish it would have worked out differently, there are so many reasons I wanted to go to Madison more, but I'm trying to find exciting things about Iowa to make me want to go there. Looking back, I know there a things I should have and could have done that probably would have gotten me an acceptance at Madison, rather than a waitlist position, but I keep telling myself to look forward, cause I'm not applying again. But to answer your question, I have no idea why I got accepted to an OOS school and not at my IS school. I thought it was weird because my chances were so much better for my IS school, but that's part of the mystery of vet school admissions I guess. I think a lot of it has to do with the fact that Iowa had an interview that I think I did really well on and also that different schools are looking for certain qualities to fill their class. I guess that's my opinion, but who knows, I'm just glad I got in somewhere!

Hey I got into three OOS schools (WI, MN and NY), but not my instate. Of course my instate is Colorado State, but still. That is why you apply to OOS schools as well, to increase your chances. Each school is looking for something different, and it appears that Iowa liked what they saw in you. Here's to hoping you get into WI, but Iowa is a heck of a lot better than nothing!:cool: