Wisconsin

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Yea I would give Lynn a call if you didn't get the e-mail. So has anyone been able to figure out the pattern for acceptance phone calls? I'm OOS and it seems like only OOS get them but not everybody...has anybody cracked the code?!

Members don't see this ad.

Crap do they do phone calls? It said in that email they'd be "mailing out letters starting Feb 23"?

Wisconsin does phone calls in addition to letters for *some* OOS students.

I've not been able to figure out how they decide who gets phone calls/emails and letters and who just gets letters for OOS-ers yet.

It might have to do with distance, but since not everyone on SDN is comfortable with giving specific locations (totally understandable, nothing against it) I can't confirm that, but to me it makes sense.

But I was also thinking that last year the expecting mailing date was only 20 days before open house which is not exactly good for getting airplane tickets/hotel rooms, which might have also spurred phone calls to OOS people. And this year, we have 40 days from the time of mailing to open house, which gives much more leeway in terms of finding flights and rooms in Madison, so we may not see as many phone calls or emails this year as we have in years past.

I also can not read the minds of the Wisconsin admissions office, so I could be totally wrong. Or they could be reading SDN and chuckling as we try to figure this system out. :laugh:

Considering all of that, for right now, I just have my phone next to me at all times, listening intently for 'On Wisconsin' to start playing. :D

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey kids! I've managed to get back on SDN because I'm procrastinating like crazy for my LA anatomy test .... yay!. So I just wanted to wish you good luck, and if you have any questions, you can email me: piskun AT wisc DOT edu.

Further, regarding the admin criteria -- WI seems much more .... nebulous. They really consider your WHOLE application, and know you inside out (kinda in a scary way) before they put the class together. It's not "oh, they scored this many points" its more " oh, this person would make a positive impact on wisconsin and will be a good representative of the school as an alum" if that makes sense. And we are so rediculously diverse that I'm sure its very much making sure that there aren't too many SA, too many LA, some research, some older (although my class is notoriously young) etc.

I guess the take-home is that it's not like Minn. (another place I applied) where the top X number of scores get in -- more holistic than that kinda.

Anyhow, good luck!!!!!!!

FYI, they already started contacting some OOS applicants via phone last night. I know people that have heard from them already.

Oh man. Oh man. Oh man. HOW AM I GOING TO CONCENTRATE NOW?

I'm not expecting anything much though -- found out late in the game that my experience statement had gotten all screwed up with formatting after I submitted it. And since it looked fine when I submitted it, I didn't check it.

Sigh. I love Wisconsin too...:(

FYI, they already started contacting some OOS applicants via phone last night. I know people that have heard from them already.

AHH. What a tease.

Yeah, I'm not expecting much either. My GPA went down miserably during my junior year for various reasons (which I included in my explanation statement), but I doubt that they'll consider my issues as a legit reason for a bad GPA. I really wish they included this past fall in their calculations!

I think right now, all my eggs are in one basket at the last school I have a chance with--Illinois.

yea, i saw on their website that for the class of 2012, there were more than 700 OOS applicants! I don't know how much weight they put on grades vs experience etc etc etc, but i'm not expecting much.

The first wisconsin acceptance was just posted on the acceptance thread.

I am soooooo jumpy right now. Anytime I get new email or my phone rings I start to sweat... This is unhealthy :oops:

Oh man! Acceptances are already being posted... I'm so antsy, too bad I'm IS and I actually have to wait for the letter; no email or phone call for me. :( Ugh. Does anyone know if they send a huge envelope for acceptees and a small one for rejects or what not? It'd be nice to know.

Good Luck Everyone! BREATHE!

Members don't see this ad :)
Sigh...I guess I should stop waiting to hear the phone go off...it's already 8PM here.

Tomorrow is another day.

:luck: to everyone OOS -- hopefully Wednesday they'll be dialing (our) phone numbers like it's going out of style.

I can't handle the wait anymore, why snail mail, are you trying to kill us? because I'm slowly dying inside...

I started looking for apartments online, I promised myself I wouldn't do this until I knew if I was accepted/rejected. It's pure torture. What are you guys doing to prevent going insane?

Anything?? Anybody?? I cant believe there is only one OSS SNDer that got a phonecall. Come on lurkers dont be shy.

nothing here. does anyone know their selection criteria? i know they're focused on diversity, but i don't really know how they "score" experience vs. grades vs. everything else! ahhh the stress :bang:

Ive asked around and spoken with several current students and they are even more clueless about the selection criteria than we are. LOL Guess we just have to wait a little longer. The student statistics suggest they really go for high GRE and GPAs but that may just be averages and not necessarily representative. UGH! I hate speculating....why does this process have to be such a mystery, I just dont get it.

Hey guys, I don't know if this will help your stress at all, but I got a phone call today offering me a position in the class. I am OOS. When I was on the phone, Ms. Maki said that they will probably be sending out admissions letters tomorrow. Ms. Maki was extremely nice and made me feel very special. Good luck to everyone out there!!!

Next person who gets an acceptance phone call... Could you pls pls ask whether they are calling all accepted OOS? That way we can know what to expect at least... I know you will be prob. very excited and won't remember to ask this, but at least if you give it a thought you might just make us feel a little better...:)

Hey guys, I don't know if this will help your stress at all, but I got a phone call today offering me a position in the class. I am OOS. When I was on the phone, Ms. Maki said that they will probably be sending out admissions letters tomorrow. Ms. Maki was extremely nice and made me feel very special. Good luck to everyone out there!!!

CONGRATS!!! :clap::clap::clap:

no more studying for me tonight, I need a drink

if they send out admissions letters tomorrow, we could know my saturday. that's it, no more studying for me for the rest of the week.

Much congrats! Will you be accepting? I saw you also got into Penn. Very Impressive.

TOMORROW!!! Yikes! Did they say if its only for OOS or for everyone?

CONGRATS UjarTheBarb and everyone else!!! :luck:

approx how many OOS spots are there in the class? I just gave away my VMSAR and it doesn't say online, although it does say that for the c/o 2012 there were 700+ OOS applicants compared to 160ish IS! wow!

I checked the AAVMC website, it looks like they admit 60-70 IS and 10-20 OOS, class size total is 80

Last edited:
oops! I didn't read ur posts before I got my acceptance phonecall.

I was studying for biochem, when I got a hysterical phone call from my husband informing me that Wisconsin was going to call me soon. It seems they started calling his cell last nite at around 8 but since he was at work and didn't know the 608 no., he didn't answer! They had been calling him all day today too, while I was at home freaking out!

Thanks everybody. Sorry, she didn't say if it was just OOS letters. I haven't decided yet where I want to go. I think it will probably come down to finances. Such is life :)

I got a phone call today from Dr. Henrikson from Wisconsin offering me a seat. I am OOS. He told me that they just finalized the class yesterday and that they will be calling the entire class (I'm not sure in which order) and also sending out an official letter soon.

I got a phone call today from Dr. Henrikson from Wisconsin offering me a seat. I am OOS. He told me that they just finalized the class yesterday and that they will be calling the entire class (I'm not sure in which order) and also sending out an official letter soon.

Do you have your MS? Random question I know, but I am finishing up my Master's right now, and I used that as one of the reasons why I bring diversity lol...maybe you did too?! Oh, and congrats!! :laugh:

They're calling the entire class? Well, I guess that'll give me a better view on if I was accepted or not...:lame:

Does anyone know what time they start making these phone calls? (Should I freak out before or after my management test at 9:30 I crammed all night for?)

Congrats to everyone accepted so far and those who will get calls today! I'm rooting for everyone!! :luck::luck::luck::luck:

(Back to more cramming...and stalking my phone/email. Thank goodness for Blackberries!)

Yeah..hate to be a Debby Downer but Im wondering if that is why only certain people got emails about their correct address. No need to have correct address if they are planning on calling you. Address inquery email=rejection:confused: hummmmmmmm

Welp at least Im off/at home today so I can obsessively sit by my phone. LOL

Yeah..hate to be a Debby Downer but Im wondering if that is why only certain people got emails about their correct address. No need to have correct address if they are planning on calling you. Address inquery email=rejection:confused: hummmmmmmm

oh man, I didn't even think about that! however, since they do send out official letters, I think everyone was probably asked about their address. good luck everyone :luck:

No don't worry. I got accepted and I received the email with my address info on it!

EXCELLENT!

Just programmed the UW-M admit number into my phone with the (Dum, ta, ta, da!) ringer. Now...back to biochem.

Malhi,
Do you mind me asking what your stats are? I'm just trying to get an idea of what Wisconsin is looking for! congrats on the acceptance :D

wait...the entire class? Even us in-staters? Oh my.

EXCELLENT!

Just programmed the UW-M admit number into my phone with the (Dum, ta, ta, da!) ringer. Now...back to biochem.

Good Luck!!!:luck::luck::luck::luck::luck::luck::luck:

Malhi,
Do you mind me asking what your stats are? I'm just trying to get an idea of what Wisconsin is looking for! congrats on the acceptance :D

Sure, np. Thank you for the good wishes.

GPA at time of application: 3.82
GPA after fall grades: 3.88?
GPA of last 45 undergrad: 4.0
Science GPA: 4.0
GRE: 1320(710q, 610v, 4.5a(BOO!))

I made sure to have diverse animal and veterinary experiences. Let me know if you have further questions!

Last edited:
any phone calls yet today? my phone's been silent...

Chirp..... Chirp.... :shifty:

any phone calls yet today? my phone's been silent...

For some reason, I'm getting more calls than usual today (usually no one calls me!) ... but none of them are Madison. I have a min-heart attack each time.

I'm getting all sorts of crazy phone calls. Apparently some telemarketers got a hold of my cell number. But each time the phone goes off, I lunge for it. No 608 numbers or cheerful little fight song yet.

Argh. This is how I'm going to feel by the end of today I think:

:boom:

SmallAndLA what number do you have programmed...the main admissions phone? Nothing on this end and Im off to take my biochem exam. Yeah, like Im really gonna be able to concentrate. :scared:

LVT2DVM, I've got both the Admissions office and the Dean's office programmed into my phone. I figured those two would be the numbers I'd be most likely to get a call from.

Good luck on your exam! I was barely able to concentrate during my classes today -- I even had my cell phone out during my physiology lecture...

BUT...if they're going alphabetically (which they probably aren't, because we could figure that out easily), I'm going to be waiting a bit longer. Stupid last name.

:barf: <-- how I feel now

ahhh this is torture!!! I had class today in a room without reception and had a voicemail but they didnt leave a message...sigh i guess if it was UW they would have left a message...boooo this is horrible!!!

okay, so, since everyone else here is obviously just as stressed as me about this, i feel i can freely admit this hilarious and embarrassing thing:

i actually had a dream last night that they called me and offered me a spot, and it was so vivid that i actually CHECKED MY CELL PHONE when i woke up, to make sure that i had actually dreamed it, and not just answered a phone call while half asleep :laugh::laugh::laugh:

however, it was all just a dream... sigh... pretty sure i'm gonna have to cross this one off the list... O WELL!

So I ran out of class: no calls, so I rushed home to check here to see if anyone else got a call. Uhg!!!! I am starting to lose all hope. My stats are nothing like the OOSers who have been accepted, and how many slots are left for OOS, Maybe 15?
How late at night should I sit by the phone, when did all of you get your calls?
Sorry Im just rambling, nothing else to do.
:scared::scared::scared: