withdraw and reapply?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ChrisMak

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi guys, I’m hoping for some help in deciding future plans here. After a lot of work and a few thousand bucks, my med school search hasn’t been turning up the results I’d like. Just one interview, University of Vermont, but (not to be conceited) I feel like I have the potential to do better / have more options. After speaking with a few premed advisors my biggest problem seems to be a late application date, so I’m hoping just getting the apps in early will be enough this time around. Any thoughts on the consequences of withdrawing from a school after an interview? After being waitlisted or accepted? What do you guys think, withdraw and reapply or just stick it out and hope for Vermont?

If you need stats:
MCAT: 11 Phys, 10 Bio, 12 Verbal – 33Q
GPA 3.6
Out of school for 3 years with recent coursework, lots of medical and research experience

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

check your PM box

Hi guys, I’m hoping for some help in deciding future plans here. After a lot of work and a few thousand bucks, my med school search hasn’t been turning up the results I’d like. Just one interview, University of Vermont, but (not to be conceited) I feel like I have the potential to do better / have more options. After speaking with a few premed advisors my biggest problem seems to be a late application date, so I’m hoping just getting the apps in early will be enough this time around. Any thoughts on the consequences of withdrawing from a school after an interview? After being waitlisted or accepted? What do you guys think, withdraw and reapply or just stick it out and hope for Vermont?

If you need stats:
GPA 3.6
Out of school for 3 years with recent coursework, lots of medical and research experience

Thanks!

be thankful you got an interview - there are plenty of people with higher stats who don't even get that far, including a few here on sdn.

Members don't see this ad :)
maybe this decision will be easier for you once you've found out whether you got in or not?

I say withdraw and reapply. Yes, you should have gotten more interviews, and yes applying late was a huge factor in your lack of success. Nothing against UVM, but having options is a great thing for med school. You've worked hard to get to the application stage, so you owe it to yourself to do it right.

btw, i am also out of school for 3 years. similar stats, applied earlier. see my md apps below:

http://www.mdapplicants.com/viewprofile.php?id=7640

maybe this decision will be easier for you once you've found out whether you got in or not?

not unless he really likes UVM. if he's ambivalent about it, then having an acceptance could complicate things.

If you need stats:
GPA 3.6

Thanks!

It's commonly said around here that turning down an acceptance and reapplying is a bad idea, but I have no personal knowledge of this.

If you really really don't want to go to Vermont, withdraw now and start preparing to reapply. In my opinion, thinking you could do better and consider Vermont "settling" is not a great reason, but that's ultimately your choice.

I would also take a close look at your app and look for other "holes" or weak points. I would be hesitant to chalk it all up to applying late and submit the same app again.

Good luck

Withdraw now before you get an acceptance if you do not want to go to Vermont. Once they hand you an acceptance, it's game over. If you try to reapply, you will have to indicate that you already have an acceptance. Schools do not look favorably upon that.

not unless he really likes UVM. if he's ambivalent about it, then having an acceptance could complicate things.

ah, point taken. i guess i'm just speaking as someone who neeeever wants to go through this process again, hehe

Don't withdraw from UVm just because you think it doesn't have a good reputation. If you really don't like it there for some reason that's one thing and you should by all means withdraw, but in all honesty you have good solid stats, but certainly nothing that's ridiculous. A second application for you could really go either way, and I don't understand what school that's so much academically better than UVm you think you're going to get into.

So an anecdote . . . I had a friend who got accepted to an early admission program, similar stats to yours but higher gpa. He turned it down to apply and hopefully get into a more prestigious school, and now he's on a couple of waitlists (at schools that are equally or less prestigious) with no acceptances. DO NOT take an acceptance for granted, you never know what luck another round of applications might bring you.

However, If you're going to withdraw you best do it before you get an acceptance, turning down an acceptance is something you definitely better have a good answer for (i.e. something better than "I thought I could do better"). At least if you withdraw after the interview you can claim you just hated the school.

Hi guys, I'm hoping for some help in deciding future plans here. After a lot of work and a few thousand bucks, my med school search hasn't been turning up the results I'd like. Just one interview, University of Vermont, but (not to be conceited) I feel like I have the potential to do better / have more options. After speaking with a few premed advisors my biggest problem seems to be a late application date, so I'm hoping just getting the apps in early will be enough this time around. Any thoughts on the consequences of withdrawing from a school after an interview? After being waitlisted or accepted? What do you guys think, withdraw and reapply or just stick it out and hope for Vermont?

If you need stats:
GPA 3.6

Thanks!

ive had the exact same experience...

i was faced with the exact same dilemma...

but i reasoned that even though i might not be going to my top choice school...

ill still end up being a doctor...

achieving my goal was more important than where i would achieve it...

and a whole year was just too much to give up...

If you need stats:
GPA 3.6

Thanks!

do not withdraw. see if you get accepeted and if you do go. if you get waitlisted, i would withdraw and go another round. that is just my opinion though. :luck:

If you get the acceptance... TAKE IT.

-reapplying sucks
-there are no guarantees you'll do any better next time (I'm in round 3)
-medical schools are remarkably the same and if there's something you want, chances are you can dig it out at whatever school you wind up at

My suggestion. Stick out with this cycle, but prepare for the next. Have everything ready to roll and Submit your AMCAS June 1st (with just one school designated). Have your transcripts waiting. If you get in, it's a little money waisted.

If you get waitlisted and it doesn't pan out, add all your other schools once your AMCAS is verified (this doesn't toss you back in the queue, it sends the info to the schools the the next time they update which is pretty much daily that first couple of weeks).

So you're covering both bases.

Members don't see this ad :)
I wouldn't withdraw, you never know, maybe UVm will accept you. However, if you're going to withdraw anyway after getting accepted because you don't like the school, I say do it now or you might have to do some explaining later on.

If you have no intention on attending UVM, withdraw before you are accepted. You do not want to reapply with schools knowing you've turned down you only acceptance. Not good.

That said, I'd LOVE to attend UVM. I think it's a great school. But to each their own.

I would say that an interview in hand is worth two in the bush. Given tthat your numbers are not outrageously above average, I would stick it out with UVM. Which is worse, not getting accepted at all or going somewhere that isn't your first choice? The number of applicants goes up every year (though this is cyclical), so your odds aren't really improving from a statistical standpoint. Was UVM so terrible you would rather not be a doctor than go there? GIven that I spent $6K on applications, interviews etc.. I would stick it out witht UVM until may 15.

If you need stats:
GPA 3.6

Thanks!

I think your stats are borderline for a top 10 school, and average for a top 30 school. Outside the top 30, UVM is probably one of the best...unless you think you can get in a "cheaper" in-state school. Either way, why didnt you like UVM? are you a more city person?

I would wait and see whether you are accepted. If you are, you could always defer for a year while you reapply. Now that you have already interviewed you lose nothing by doing nothing.

Hi guys, thanks for all the input, your thoughts have been really helpful. To respond to a few questions, after interviewing at UVM, I didn’t necessarily hate it, but I didn’t love it either, had sort of a neutral feeling. Also, for me, being able to see the school, talk with students, etc. was a great way to get a true feeling for the program. Having had just one interview, I sort of feel like I’m being forced into one school that may not necessarily be the best place for me.

In terms of timing, I would actually prefer to defer (personal/research), so applying again wouldn’t be quite as horrible or devastating. However, I believe that a stipulation of deferral is that you cannot apply to another medical school, any thoughts?

Also, this may be slightly off topic (feel free to ignore), but in terms of gpa, do schools tend to look at progression? Let’s say my first two years of undergrad were average, but just considering the last two years and almost two full semesters of post-bac I have around a 4.0? Thanks again for all the help!

ive had the exact same experience...

i was faced with the exact same dilemma...

but i reasoned that even though i might not be going to my top choice school...

ill still end up being a doctor...

achieving my goal was more important than where i would achieve it...

and a whole year was just too much to give up...
I think I found my match on use of ellipses.
Hi guys, thanks for all the input, your thoughts have been really helpful. To respond to a few questions, after interviewing at UVM, I didn't necessarily hate it, but I didn't love it either, had sort of a neutral feeling. Also, for me, being able to see the school, talk with students, etc. was a great way to get a true feeling for the program. Having had just one interview, I sort of feel like I'm being forced into one school that may not necessarily be the best place for me.

In terms of timing, I would actually prefer to defer (personal/research), so applying again wouldn't be quite as horrible or devastating. However, I believe that a stipulation of deferral is that you cannot apply to another medical school, any thoughts?

Also, this may be slightly off topic (feel free to ignore), but in terms of gpa, do schools tend to look at progression? Let's say my first two years of undergrad were average, but just considering the last two years and almost two full semesters of post-bac I have around a 4.0? Thanks again for all the help!
Upward trends are supposed to be good, but a 3.7 is still better than a 3.6 no matter what the trend. I guess my question is, what kind of results are you expecting? Harvard? Sorry to be curt, but a 33 and a 3.6 are by no means a golden ticket to the upper schools you may be dreaming of. I've had plenty of 3.9/36 friends getting waitlists all over, without acceptances. What makes UVM so horrible? Personally, I can't imagine re-applying, wasting a year, the money, and the effort. Also, what would you be doing in this upcoming year, as schools will expect you to be doing more than just slinging coffee or something.

And as everyone is saying, wait for the decision to come as you may be reapplying anyway, and not by choice.

I think your stats are borderline for a top 10 school, and average for a top 30 school.
Oh, I'd disagree with that. His GPA is low for lots of top 30 schools and his MCAT is about average. And that's for this year. Next may be tougher.

In terms of timing, I would actually prefer to defer (personal/research), so applying again wouldn’t be quite as horrible or devastating. However, I believe that a stipulation of deferral is that you cannot apply to another medical school, any thoughts?
You are correct. Defering leaves you in exactly the same place you are at now. Your decision is whether or not to withdraw you app and apply again or find out if you are accepted.

I've seen a few posts on whether you can do this. I had a friend who got into a med school, but wasn't happy with it, so he was able to defer admission and get permission from the school to apply to other places. I think this is the standard procedure. It worked out for him, and he matriculated at a different school.

Ultimately, this will be your own decision, and you may want to consult with an advisor from your undergrad institution.

Have you looked at the match list for UVM? It seems to me like there are often very competitive matches even at schools that aren't one of the blessed top ten. Just because you go to UVM doesn't mean you can't get into a great residency program.

How do the schools know whether the applicant was accepted somewhere else? The only question they ask on the application is whether you matriculated or attended a school. One Adcom member told me that if you get an acceptance, but do not matriculate, they have no way of knowing it. But I guess he may not know the full picture.
Any thoughts?

Hi guys, thanks for all the input, your thoughts have been really helpful. To respond to a few questions, after interviewing at UVM, I didn't necessarily hate it, but I didn't love it either, had sort of a neutral feeling. Also, for me, being able to see the school, talk with students, etc. was a great way to get a true feeling for the program. Having had just one interview, I sort of feel like I'm being forced into one school that may not necessarily be the best place for me.

Having visited couple schools (7 or so), I can tell you UVM is probably one of the best. But maybe I am biased lol. I do agree with you that each school had something cool and unique to offer. And if the schools "personality" clicks with yours, then you will obviously like one school over the other. It is indeed unfortunate you did not get a chance to visit other schools -- to finnally see how good UVM really is lol.

In terms of timing, I would actually prefer to defer (personal/research), so applying again wouldn't be quite as horrible or devastating. However, I believe that a stipulation of deferral is that you cannot apply to another medical school, any thoughts?

Also, this may be slightly off topic (feel free to ignore), but in terms of gpa, do schools tend to look at progression? Let's say my first two years of undergrad were average, but just considering the last two years and almost two full semesters of post-bac I have around a 4.0? Thanks again for all the help!

I was suprised to hear that some schools let you apply after you defer (UK, Case). Weird. But I am pretty sure those schools are exception rather than the rule. Also, its really hard to get a deferal in the first place.

Yes your 2 years of 4.0 will look favourably. But if you are aiming for schools such as Harvard, Yale, John Hopkins....its gonna be tough even with a higher GPA.

It depends on why you don't like the school. Is it the atmosphere or b/c it's not competitive enough? It's best to go to a school that makes you happy. If there's something you really don't like about the school (ie the way they teach, etc.) and don't mind sitting out another year, then try again. But if it's about the competitiveness, then I agree w/ the former posters. Picking prestige over everything else is silly. You'll probably have a shot at competitive residencies if you do well enough, so why waste another year that could be spent in practice? I really wanted to get into top 10 for undergrad for prestige, but ended up getting below that. A huge chunk of my classmates are going to top 5 medical schools now....so moral of the story, you may be able to excel down the road at a lower ranked school anyway.

Where else did you apply? You say you spent 1000s but I can't see how that's true with only one interview that I am assuming was in-state. Did you apply to 10 other schools? 30? Were they HMS and JHU or Wright State? Like others said, your chances of getting into a top 10 school are very slim (sorry, maybe I'm bitter after getting rejections and waitlists with 36/3.97). However, I think you have good chances of getting into a lot of other schools. Knowing where you applied would be very useful!

Applied to 12 schools, 2 in the top ten (not expecting to get in, just hail mary dream shots). Judging strictly on the stats of applicants they accept, about half of the rest of the schools were slightly more competitive than UVM, and the other half right around UVM. I'm not a resident of Vermont, and as that was my only interview, I'm really feeling like a late application was my downfall. If I end up re-applying I'll definitely expand the list of schools significantly. As I said earlier, I'm not completely opposed to UVM, the match list looked competitive to me, and there's nothing I really hated about the program. I'm not hoping or expecting to go to a top ten school, and am not considering the prestige of the school as a major factor, it just seems that it would be better to have more than one choice if possible.

Applied to 12 schools, 2 in the top ten (not expecting to get in, just hail mary dream shots). Judging strictly on the stats of applicants they accept, about half of the rest of the schools were slightly more competitive than UVM, and the other half right around UVM. I'm not a resident of Vermont, and as that was my only interview, I'm really feeling like a late application was my downfall. If I end up re-applying I'll definitely expand the list of schools significantly. As I said earlier, I'm not completely opposed to UVM, the match list looked competitive to me, and there's nothing I really hated about the program. I'm not hoping or expecting to go to a top ten school, and am not considering the prestige of the school as a major factor, it just seems that it would be better to have more than one choice if possible.
You can only attend one school. Sometimes it may be a blessing in disguise (especially for the indecisive among us).