Withdraw from a class I listed on my primary app?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pluto101

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm applying MD/PhD this year. I've been a Junior Scientist (my official title, and yes, it's hilarious) for 2 years now, and I work 40+ hours a week. My research background is heavily oriented towards immunology, but I've always been interested in neuroscience. I decided to put down on my AMCAS app that I'll be taking an Intro to Neuroscience course in the fall, since I get to take heavily discounted courses at the university I work at.

Well, now we're two weeks into the semester, and my workload is increasing. I'm regretting taking this class. I can still withdraw without any effect on my transcript.

Will I have to inform the schools I'm applying to that I have decided to not take this course? Will it affect my chances of acceptance? I could take the course and do well, I just think the effort/reward ratio is too high.

Members don't see this ad.

Will I have to inform the schools I'm applying to that I have decided to not take this course?

No.

Will it affect my chances of acceptance?

No.

I could take the course and do well, I just think the effort/reward ratio is too high.

If it's not a required course, it is irrelevant. Any 'concurrent/future' listings on AMCAS are subject to change, and the only assumption is that you will remain academically eligible.

Thanks. I'll go ahead and withdraw from this class.