Withdraw from class or wait and possibly fail?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Withdraw from class or wait it out and possibly fail?

• Total voters

helprosie

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi. So right now I'm a freshman in college and I'm really struggling in my math class since the tests are extremely hard compared to the homework and classwork. Should I withdraw now or wait it out and possibly fail the class? Either way, I still have to retake the class even if I receive a C. I'm leaning more on withdrawing because I feel its a very slim chance I'll pull a B out the class. Also, it won't affect my GPA and scholarship GPA. I've been going to tutoring twice a week and office hours really don't help at all. Have any of you experienced this situation?

Members don't see this ad.

Withdrawing looks way better than a C or below, and if your scholarship is still solid even after dropping it. You will have to take the class again either way, save yourself time and worry, take the W and make sure you take another professor or take it at another university (or during the summer) so you can perform better next time.

Hi. So right now I'm a freshman in college and I'm really struggling in my math class since the tests are extremely hard compared to the homework and classwork. Should I withdraw now or wait it out and possibly fail the class? Either way, I still have to retake the class even if I receive a C. I'm leaning more on withdrawing because I feel its a very slim chance I'll pull a B out the class. Also, it won't affect my GPA and scholarship GPA. I've been going to tutoring twice a week and office hours really don't help at all. Have any of you experienced this situation?

Watch this video

Then, start finding more sources. Khan Academy. Online Forums. Supplementary books.
I've experienced the situation. I fought back and I won. And it raised my self-esteem. You can do it.

Members don't see this ad :)
I grinded through and ended up with a B-. If you're determined, you can do it!

Yes, if you're really sure you're going to get below a C and if your scholarship hinges on whether or not you do well, drop it as long as it's not a WF.

Reactions: 1 user
Yes, if you're really sure you're going to get below a C and if your scholarship hinges on whether or not you do well, drop it as long as it's not a WF.
+1 drop it sooner rather than later if you're going to W

I grinded through and ended up with a B-. If you're determined, you can do it!
Watch this video

Then, start finding more sources. Khan Academy. Online Forums. Supplementary books.
I've experienced the situation. I fought back and I won. And it raised my self-esteem. You can do it.

After failing the first test, I did about 60 practice problems from the textbook, still went to tutoring twice a week, looked over my homework problems, so I can be more prepared for the next test. Trust me. I was very determined in trying to pass the second test, but I can't control how difficult he makes the test. Even after putting in all the work, I still failed the second test. The deadline to withdraw is two days before the third test and I don't think it's worth the risk.

Good luck OP!

I never really found tutoring useful...even if it's free, it's a waste of time....nor did I find TAs helpful. Most of the time, these guys have been away from the material for 2+ years and they're out of touch.

The best piece of advice one of my science professors gave me in my first year was: "Don't listen to the TAs."

I learned that advice by heart and from then on only attended professor office hours. By the end of the year, I was able to explain concepts to my classmates much better than the grad student TAs could.