Withdraw Summer Class

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

rawrrd

7+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Hi all,

I am taking a summer class (genetics) at a school that is not my own undergraduate institution. However this class is much harder than I expected and I got my first test back the day after the drop deadline. I can either withdraw from the class and get a W now, get a B or a C, or make the class pass fail. I was wondering how bad would a W in a summer class at a school that isn't your own look? Do I even have to report this transcript to medical schools in the future?

Thanks

How many W's do you have? I doubt one W would be that bad but getting a C can drag your GPA down significantly, especially if you don't have as high of a GPA to depend on. The W is more worrisome if you have a track record of giving up, or doing poorly to begin with.

I have no W's so far and a 3.95 gpa

Members don't see this ad :)
I have no W's so far and a 3.95 gpa

Personally, I'd rather take the W than have it drag my grades down too hard. You don't have a track record of doing poorly nor giving up. What does concern me more is how badly you underestimated the course and how it's such an outlier for you. You probably need to dig deep and figure out your weaknesses before trying again.

I suggest that you talk to your professor about certain oppurtunities to earn extra credit points. I find that some science professors though their tests are hard give extra credit assignments or grade booster assignments later in the semester. If not, then withdraw.

How would one W be viewed by UC med schools?

Personally, I'd rather take the W than have it drag my grades down too hard. You don't have a track record of doing poorly nor giving up. What does concern me more is how badly you underestimated the course and how it's such an outlier for you. You probably need to dig deep and figure out your weaknesses before trying again.
I think that I wouldn't have any concerns about this student if this is their first W. I think some people are just so overtly analyzing this situation and imposing some kind of personality onto the OP. Some courses taught by certain faculty can never be estimated..period. I think we have all been there and I'm pretty sure that if OP sticks around they wouldn't get anything below a B but since their gpa is so high, even a B would affect their gpa. Now in that being said, I think I have a concern of the OP being a perfectionist but in this day and age where competition is so intense...I say whatever and just encourage the OP to do what they think is best for their record.

If you talk to your professor and think that you can pull off at least a B in that class, I think you should stick with it. One B over 4 years of mostly As isn't going to affect you that much. Also, what year are you?