Withdrawal Letter?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Pchsgirl

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Is there a certain format I should use when withdrawing from a school? How about if I might be reapplying to that school next year? Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

This brings up a whole different issue- being that you should not withdraw an acceptance only to apply again. It will be looked down upon and is foolish. Defer a year instead.

Withdrawal letter:

Thank you for your consideration of my application the X SOM Class of 2008. I am writing to relinquish my place in the 2008 Class. Thank you again.

Your name

stinkycheese said:
This brings up a whole different issue- being that you should not withdraw an acceptance only to apply again. It will be looked down upon and is foolish. Defer a year instead.

Withdrawal letter:

Thank you for your consideration of my application the X SOM Class of 2008. I am writing to relinquish my place in the 2008 Class. Thank you again.

Your name

Agree totally. Short and sweet is the way to do it.

And if you withdraw from a school, don't even bother reapplying. You will not get in again. In fact, if you have been accepted to schools this year and decide not to attend any of them and plan to reapply next year, you're very unlikely to get in anywhere. The schools will know that you've been accepted previously and they will assume that you're shopping around for something better, and why should they waste their time on you again. Sounds harsh, but that's the way the game is played.

Members don't see this ad :)
pjv2410 said:
Agree totally. Short and sweet is the way to do it.

And if you withdraw from a school, don't even bother reapplying. You will not get in again. In fact, if you have been accepted to schools this year and decide not to attend any of them and plan to reapply next year, you're very unlikely to get in anywhere. The schools will know that you've been accepted previously and they will assume that you're shopping around for something better, and why should they waste their time on you again. Sounds harsh, but that's the way the game is played.

But what if I am shopping around? Why should I have to settle for the first school that accepts me, if there are way better schools out there? Maybe I'm okay waiting another year if it allows me to attend a better school. That's just my opinion, but I know that's not how it works...

In reality, I feel that I have extenuating circumstances that make it unrealistic for me to be able to move and start school this year. That doesn't mean that things can't change for next year.

Pchsgirl said:
But what if I am shopping around? Why should I have to settle for the first school that accepts me, if there are way better schools out there? Maybe I'm okay waiting another year if it allows me to attend a better school. That's just my opinion, but I know that's not how it works...

In reality, I feel that I have extenuating circumstances that make it unrealistic for me to be able to move and start school this year. That doesn't mean that things can't change for next year.

If you have extenuating circumstances, that's cause for a phone call and an attempt to defer.

As for shopping, which is more important to you: being a physician or being an XYZ University Alumna?

If I were you, I would try to defer--not withdraw.

Hey, Pchsgirl girl, don't get defensive with us. We are telling you what the prevailing view on reapplying after an acceptance is. Clearly, your family circumstance or what have you is only part of the reason you want to re-apply, because you're clearly looking to upgrade, which is all sorts of risky. In any case, don't plan on reapplying to any schools that you withdraw from... if you're so intent on upgrading, why apply to schools you're not willing to go to? They won't give you the time of day anyway... they'll see right through your ploy and will not waste more time on a candidate who is using their admissions resources just to ensure a "safety" (again) but has no intentions of matriculating (again).

Don't kill the messengers. We don't make the rules. We just tell you about them. I think you should go ahead and withdraw... leave more room for other peeps who will be grateful they have a spot at all!

Dear AdComs,

I quit.

Sincerely,

-Salty Squeegee Esquire

P.S. You suck. :thumbup:

stinkycheese said:
Hey, Pchsgirl girl, don't get defensive with us. We are telling you what the prevailing view on reapplying after an acceptance is. Clearly, your family circumstance or what have you is only part of the reason you want to re-apply, because you're clearly looking to upgrade, which is all sorts of risky. In any case, don't plan on reapplying to any schools that you withdraw from... if you're so intent on upgrading, why apply to schools you're not willing to go to? They won't give you the time of day anyway... they'll see right through your ploy and will not waste more time on a candidate who is using their admissions resources just to ensure a "safety" (again) but has no intentions of matriculating (again).

Don't kill the messengers. We don't make the rules. We just tell you about them. I think you should go ahead and withdraw... leave more room for other peeps who will be grateful they have a spot at all!

Sorry, no defensiveness intended. I had every intention of matriculating at said school, until recent family events. And I'm not sure that I'll reapply there, I just don't want to burn my bridges. But I suppose there's no way to withdraw without doing so. All the stuff about upgrading was just a thought for the group. I have personally decided that the school of my dreams (where my husband, family, house, etc. are) is worth waiting for, I'm not trying to upgrade to Harvard or anything. I was curious if anyone else feels that waiting for the right school is worth it, or if I've lost my mind (which could very well be the case). Anyone?

Pchsgirl said:
Sorry, no defensiveness intended. I had every intention of matriculating at said school, until recent family events. And I'm not sure that I'll reapply there, I just don't want to burn my bridges. But I suppose there's no way to withdraw without doing so. All the stuff about upgrading was just a thought for the group. I have personally decided that the school of my dreams (where my husband, family, house, etc. are) is worth waiting for, I'm not trying to upgrade to Harvard or anything. I was curious if anyone else feels that waiting for the right school is worth it, or if I've lost my mind (which could very well be the case). Anyone?

You shouldn't apply to schools you're not willing to go to. If there's only one school you want, then you should only apply to one school, while understanding that you may never get in.