withdrawal letter

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MoosePilot

Y Bombardier
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I wrote a withdrawal letter that I plan to send to some of the schools I applied to in the next few days. I'm going for respectful and polite. Would someone look the text over and tell me if you think I've struck the right tone?

17 October 2005

Dear [insert name here] admissions,

Please withdraw my application for consideration for the 2006 entering class.

I did extensive research and only applied to schools that I would have been happy to attend. I have nothing but respect for your school, however I have already received an acceptance offer and do not wish to continue the application process longer than necessary. Please accept my thanks for your consideration.

Sincerely,

Moosepilot

Members don't see this ad.

i think it's a keeper - respectful and honest. i'm sure the schools will appreciate that. i'll bet most people are a lot more concise and impersonal than that. congrats on your acceptance!

medstylee said:
i think it's a keeper - respectful and honest. i'm sure the schools will appreciate that. i'll bet most people are a lot more concise and impersonal than that. congrats on your acceptance!

Agree

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for the feedback. It's such a weird feeling. I would have died for an interview from any of these schools a month ago and would never have dreamed of sending this letter a week ago, but everything has changed. I want to get out of the way of someone who is still dying to go to one of these schools, but I have to overcome a mindset that's been many years in the making :laugh:

Any think the letter is in anyway rude? I definitely want to be respectful, because I really do appreciate the interviews. Man, I would have been happy to go to any of these schools. One sent a DVD and I watched the whole thing, imagining going there.

Thanks for the congrats too. I'm still floating. I wish this feeling for everyone applying this year! :luck:

i think you should actually end it "sincerely, moosepilot" instead of your real name because that would be sweet. good letter though.

good letter Moose. send it out.

oh and congrats on getting in :thumbup:

Rendar5 said:
good letter Moose. send it out.

oh and congrats on getting in :thumbup:

Thanks! How's life in med school? When does holiday start? Is it timed to your holidays?

Moose, you're already in, you dont have to kiss anyone's ass anymore. :smuggrin: :laugh:

Congrat's on the acceptance. :thumbup:

MoosePilot said:
Thanks! How's life in med school? When does holiday start? Is it timed to your holidays?

It's rather chill now. since the school goes by a jewish calendar for the holidays, we've been having waaaaay too many days off (jewish holidays are all on weekdays, rosh hoshanah, yom kippur, succoth now, simchat torah next week), so we have classses for a day, then no classes, then classes for two days, then no classes. It's ridiculous, so I haven't bothered to study since my last set of tests. So life is horribly lazy :laugh: As soon as they're over, I'm in study mode straight into Thanksgiving. Then one more set of classes before winter break :) Not looking forward to it yet, but i will be as soon as I realize I'm 20 lectures behind in neuro :p :laugh:

SanDiegoSOD said:
Moose, you're already in, you dont have to kiss anyone's ass anymore. :smuggrin: :laugh:

I'm a Boy Scout :laugh:

Trust me, hitting send on those emails is the toughest thing I've done in the application cycle. Am I nuts? These schools want to interview me and I'm withdrawing?!

They're all schools I really liked, but not as much as the one I got into. I am interviewing at a couple of other schools, just to have options.

Rendar5 said:
It's rather chill now. since the school goes by a jewish calendar for the holidays, we've been having waaaaay too many days off (jewish holidays are all on weekdays, rosh hoshanah, yom kippur, succoth now, simchat torah next week), so we have classses for a day, then no classes, then classes for two days, then no classes. It's ridiculous, so I haven't bothered to study since my last set of tests. So life is horribly lazy :laugh: As soon as they're over, I'm in study mode straight into Thanksgiving. Then one more set of classes before winter break :) Not looking forward to it yet, but i will be as soon as I realize I'm 20 lectures behind in neuro :p :laugh:

Awesome! I'd rather have it chill than not, but I already have the sense that I'm not smart enough to take a break, even if school is going slow like that :laugh:

Sounds great!

smarts? meh, it's all volume baby. college is more difficult (intellectually) than med school. I'm sure u know all about that volume already, though :laugh: :thumbup: You'll be fine and able to chill sometimes.

I hope more people follow your example freeing up interview slots for uhm....me. Congrats!

Moose,

Did you check with all of the schools you're withdrawing from? Some of the schools I plan on withdrawing from said that they just needed an email rather than a formal letter via snail mail. I feel you on it being weird withdrawing your app from schools b/c I would've never applied there in the first place if I didn't think I'd go there, but now.... you can't pass up your state school :)

Well congrats and good luck to everyone!
scneuro

Sounds great. Well put. Btw, where you going next year?

Is sending out DVDs a common thing for medical schools to do?

I had better purchase a DVD player then. :eek:

Anyway, the letter is a keeper. It's honest and polite. I don't see how anyone could take offense.

I haven't even come close to applying yet-- but if I were to write a decline letter it would say:

(Insert Name Here),

Good Day! I am ecstatic to announce my current acceptance at (Fill in the Blank). I appreciate any time and energy you may have spent on my application with your school, and am gracious for your consideration of me as a student! At this time, I have accepted my role at (fill in the blank), so it is appropriate for me to ask you to remove my name from the many applicants that desire admission to your school. Again, I am extremely thankful for your time, and appreciate your help with this matter! Have a wonderful day!

Sincerely,
Me

***Since I'm planning on greatness, I might as well perfect my declination letter early.***
*giggle*

Forget those schools. I am just calling up and saying I am withdrawing. When you get in somewhere you like it turns into a buyers market... they have my 100 dollars, they don't need my letter that just goes into the trash by some secretary. Don't be a tool and send a letter. (not trying to be harsh).

SanDiegoSOD said:

Actually, the ass-kissing has only just begun....

anomic said:
Don't be a tool and send a letter.

i find it really amusing how common etiquette has become such a thing of the past for our generation...especially for people who want to be physicians. but congrats moose, and your letter sounds great. you might want to tell them where you're going to attend though...just to kinda stick it to them a little ;)

anomic said:
Forget those schools. I am just calling up and saying I am withdrawing. When you get in somewhere you like it turns into a buyers market... they have my 100 dollars, they don't need my letter that just goes into the trash by some secretary. Don't be a tool and send a letter. (not trying to be harsh).

It's always best to take the high road, and show some class. Also, never burn bridges in life.