Withdrawal

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

applyingMD

Reaction score
When you have multiple acceptances so you have to withdrawal from some schools, do you just do it on the portal or do you send them an email to be polite?

Members don't see this ad.

if they have a mechanism on the portal do it that way
if they dont, then send an email
PLEASE NOTE: Make sure you get a printable confirmation that your withdrawal has been properly noted

Why is that? Just wondering because I had to actually call a school I withdrew from to get confirmation.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

just In case someone In admissions didn’t do it properly. When April 30 comes and that school messed up and didn’t withdraw you properly, holding 2 acceptances would go against AAMC rules and then you’ll be at risk of having your acceptances rescinded.

it’s probably not likely, but better safe than sorry

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
just In case someone In admissions didn’t do it properly. When April 30 comes and that school messed up and didn’t withdraw you properly, holding 2 acceptances would go against AAMC rules and then you’ll be at risk of having your acceptances rescinded.

it’s probably not likely, but better safe than sorry

I thought that was more of a suggestion rather than a rule. But regardless, I’ll be sure to reach out to that school and ask for confirmation. Thank you!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: 1 users
Yeah I’m not really sure if it’s a hard rule or suggestion, but feel like it’s better to do what AAMC says than gamble and play games regarding acceptances. Would be really sad to lose acceptances because of not following the rules. Congrats on your acceptances and good luck!

April 30 is a rule for most schools, not a suggestion, but the acceptances you would lose are the ones you are withdrawing from anyway!

After 4/30, schools where you hold an A (or a WL) will be able to see whether you have PTEd or CTEd at another school. The PTE or CTE school will not be able to see the other As, since the only thing that is revealed on the report they can run is PTE or CTE.

So, if you are holding two As after 4/30, and haven't PTEd to either one, you could possibly lose them both since you will have missed their deadline. If you PTE to one, the other school will be able to see it and will probably drop you. But the school where you have PTEd will not be able to see that you are holding another A.

For what it's worth, it's each school that might take action, individually and at their sole discretion. AAMC does nothing other than make the information available to the schools. Hope this helps clear it up a bit.

April 30 is a rule for most schools, not a suggestion, but the acceptances you would lose are the ones you are withdrawing from anyway!

After 4/30, schools where you hold an A (or a WL) will be able to see whether you have PTEd or CTEd at another school. The PTE or CTE school will not be able to see the other As, since the only thing that is revealed on the report they can run is PTE or CTE.

So, if you are holding two As after 4/30, and haven't PTEd to either one, you could possibly lose them both since you will have missed their deadline. If you PTE to one, the other school will be able to see it and will probably drop you. But the school where you have PTEd will not be able to see that you are holding another A.

For what it's worth, it's each school that might take action, individually and at their sole discretion. AAMC does nothing other than make the information available to the schools. Hope this helps clear it up a bit.
I wasn't aware that your WL school can see your PTE/CTE after 4/30. I would think that can cause a bias and may influence their decision to not give you the A off the waitlist if you already have an A, eventhough its only an PTE. It would be better if they only see CTE instead of PTE. Just saying.

I wasn't aware that your WL school can see your PTE/CTE after 4/30. I would think that can cause a bias and may influence their decision to not give you the A off the waitlist if you already have an A, eventhough its only an PTE. It would be better if they only see CTE instead of PTE. Just saying.
Yeah, but that could also work the other way, where seeing that you have an A makes you more "attractive."

I'm not sure it matters, though, because plenty of people are WL at schools they would much rather attend than those where they presently have an A. To the extent the WL school cares at all, they only care about your likelihood to accept their offer (yield).

The fact that have another A doesn't tell them anything about your likelihood to accept their A. Remember, even if you don't have an A now, you could get one, from yet another WL, after they accept you, so even with no As presently, you STILL might not 100% end up attending if they take you off the WL! :)

How do you politely word it to make it seem less like you’re picking another school other them (even tho I know I am lol)?

How do you politely word it to make it seem less like you’re picking another school other them (even tho I know I am lol)?
I honestly don't think they care. The person reading it doesn't take it personally. If anything, it validates their decision by showing other schools wanted you as well. At this point, they just need the information so they know how their yield is shaping up, how many seats they might have open, and whether and to what extent they need to go to the WL.

TL;DR -- you are picking another school, they know it, and they don't care!! They just need to know what you are doing so they can take whatever action is necessary to fill that seat. :)

Why should you or even they even care? Just tell them you're withdrawing their acceptance offer. They have plenty of other candidates....it's not dating, after all.

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users
If you are WL at a school but you PTE at a different school by 4/30, can the waitlist school see the name of the school you are currently waitlisted at?

I think it's best for everyone to review the information directly on the AMCAS site. This page gives the best explanation and runs through an example for an imaginary applicant Alex.
Choose Your Medical School Tool

And also as many of the experienced SDN advisors have suggested, go to the official page of all the schools you have Acceptances and WL spots in, and see if their deadlines for committing to enroll are different.

I'm still not clear on whether WL schools can see (1) that you PTE at another school, or (2) the name of the school you PTE.

From AMCAS: "April 30 - Medical schools can run detailed reports to identify their accepted and alternate list applicants who have selected “Plan to Enroll” or “Commit to Enroll” at their school versus another school."

Also from AMCAS: "April 30 - If an applicant selects “Commit to Enroll” to a school, all other schools where the applicant also holds an acceptance or alternate-list offer will be notified but will not know the name of the school selected."

Does anyone know for sure?

If you are WL at a school but you PTE at a different school by 4/30, can the waitlist school see the name of the school you are currently waitlisted at?
Nope -- nobody can see any specifics about any other school. The WL school will only be able to see that you have PTEd somewhere.

Thank you for clarifying. That was my suspicion, but the vague language around "detailed reports" suggested that might not be the case.

I'm still not clear on whether WL schools can see (1) that you PTE at another school, or (2) the name of the school you PTE.

From AMCAS: "April 30 - Medical schools can run detailed reports to identify their accepted and alternate list applicants who have selected “Plan to Enroll” or “Commit to Enroll” at their school versus another school."

Also from AMCAS: "April 30 - If an applicant selects “Commit to Enroll” to a school, all other schools where the applicant also holds an acceptance or alternate-list offer will be notified but will not know the name of the school selected."

Does anyone know for sure?
Know for sure what? That they are going to do what they say? Nobody can know for SURE until it happens to them, but I think it would be pretty safe to bet that AMCAS is not lying to us.

Thank you for clarifying. That was my suspicion, but the vague language around "detailed reports" suggested that might not be the case.
Yeah -- detailed reports refers to the fact that they will have info on each candidate, by name. There was confusion last year that all reports were only in the aggregate, as they are before 4/30. They don't identify schools due to antitrust concerns about acting in concert with "competitors," but they provide information on candidates, while masking the names of the schools, so schools can enforce the rules.