Withdrawing all my apps. Bad Verbal

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Legend

Super Senior Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I could check my MCAT score on my AMCAS application.

6 in VR. Yeah!!
I am ESL but I guess there is no excuse even though my science scores are good.
I am glad I waited until today before filling out additional secondaries. I completed only 3/18 secondaries.

Members don't see this ad.

On the Inquarta website they give an example of an ESL student who matriculated with a 6 on Verbal. I think the drive to succeed in your goal despite a low score (which is actually just one part of your application) would be impressive to any adcom.

Andrew

Legi,

I just sent you a private message in response to your earlier one.

Members don't see this ad :)
Golly, don't withdraw your applications. you have already spent the money going through AMCAS. Fill your stuff out and let the schools tell you if you make their cut.

Everyone should remember we are all not just a bunch of numbers. If you have a well developed package, don't let a low score stop you.

I'm sure their will be those who disagree with me. But if it was all just about numbers then every 4.0, MCAT 45 student would get in and that just isn't so.

Don't do it, Legi. Unless you're applying to all top-10 schools, you should be OK if your science scores are solid, and the rest of your application is good (which I'm sure it is :) ). Especially with your ESL status, I'm sure you'll be cut a little slack. Don't give up!!! You will regret it in the future if you do.

I wonder how many people with a 43 get rejected...since there are probably only like 11 of them, med schools probably fight over just having the oddity in their class.

Hey Legi I went through similiar thoughts after this April test. I scored:
6VR 10BS 11BS this April and decided to apply. I've thus far recieved SCREENED secondaries from schools like UCSD, UC Davis and Michigan State. My letters of rec only recently went out a couple days ago so I can't expect to hear from schools for anyother few weeks.

In any case, though I was born in Los Angeles, I was raised in a Spanish-Speaking home and attended LAUSD schools my entire life. I feel the sole fact of recieving my education from a school district that made headlines for producing the lowest national test scores in the nation should lend support to my DRIVE to succeed and may help explain a 6VR. I think if you have a reasonable explanation (and I think you do since you're ESL) then you should apply.

I am sure there are schools out there that are not so narrow-minded to deny an otherwise motivated and intelligent student the wish to help people with thier health problems. If your application is solid: double digits in the sciences, 3.5 or higher gpa, health-related experiences and some extra-currics that may stand out then apply. all you need is one school to give you a shot.

thanks everyone for encouragement.
I have listed 17 schools in my AMCAS applications and completed 4 secondaries so far. Most of the schools I listed are top schools.

My other stats are:

ivy, 3.85 bio major. two publications (btw, my most recent article got just rejected by Science Magazine. Too ambitious :) )
I have some unique activities.
Anyways, I am still not sure if I should apply to even a few schools.
My science scores are 13 and 10 (PS and BS respectively.)
If my VR was 8, I would give a shot. However '6' is really discouraging. I will definitely have to retake it in April but I am so afraid if I won't be able to fall asleep the night before again.
Maybe I should apply to like 8 schools.
and what sucks is that I am an International student.

I would recommend withdrawing the app, and begin preparing for VR for next April. As an international student, we(yes I am one too) do not stand much chance with even highest credentials. It would be far better to improve verbal before application. What's the big deal. You have one science score that leaves room for improvement too.