Withdrawing app from institution and reapplying in a different field?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

RHnegAB

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
If you initially applied to 2 specialties, but eventually decided on just one, could you withdraw apps from one school and then apply to them again in the other program?

Originally, I wanted to do Anesthesia, but unfortunately my numbers are not great and my Dean cautioned me to really think about applying to something else less competitive, so I chose to also apply to Neurology. After having done some more electives in neurology though, I've more or less completely converted. The thing is, I originally applied to many more Anesthesia programs in locations I'd like to live in, so would it be possible to withdraw from those schools and then re-apply as a Neurology applicant? Would the programs talk to each other?

Members don't see this ad.

If you initially applied to 2 specialties, but eventually decided on just one, could you withdraw apps from one school and then apply to them again in the other program?

Originally, I wanted to do Anesthesia, but unfortunately my numbers are not great and my Dean cautioned me to really think about applying to something else less competitive, so I chose to also apply to Neurology. After having done some more electives in neurology though, I've more or less completely converted. The thing is, I originally applied to many more Anesthesia programs in locations I'd like to live in, so would it be possible to withdraw from those schools and then re-apply as a Neurology applicant? Would the programs talk to each other?

I would go ahead and apply neuro if you really like it, but would not withdraw anesthesia apps. It's unlikely that they would found out, and you won't get any $ from ERAS for withdrawing. Who knows, maybe you'll get good anesthesia invites and decide to stay. I would certainly go for both.