Withdrawing from waitlist for school I previously sent a Letter of Intent to?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

abrn6767

Reaction score
Back in January I had interviewed at 3 schools and been put on WL for all 3. There was one that I liked far more than the others, so assuming these were going to be my only choices, I sent a letter of intent there. 2 weeks later I received an II for a fourth school that I had completely forgotten about. I ended up getting accepted there and after touring the school, speaking to current students and faculty I LOVE this school and I am excited to go here. I am planning to commit to enroll May 1st, but am wondering if it is bad to withdraw from the school I submitted a LOI for. In my defense, this opportunity came along later after they waitlisted me, and I would rather organize housing, loans, get to know other students earlier rather than go anywhere else and have to scramble last minute if I do get off the waitlist late. I’m hoping because I’m withdrawing before actually getting an acceptance then I’m not actually violating the agreement I made to accept if admitted…? Thoughts? Thanks for the advice!!

Members don't see this ad.

No, it’s fine to withdraw completely since most schools get tons of LOI’s from WL’ed people. Take the acceptance and don’t look back, and of course, congratulations future doctor!

Reactions: 1 user
Back in January I had interviewed at 3 schools and been put on WL for all 3. There was one that I liked far more than the others, so assuming these were going to be my only choices, I sent a letter of intent there. 2 weeks later I received an II for a fourth school that I had completely forgotten about. I ended up getting accepted there and after touring the school, speaking to current students and faculty I LOVE this school and I am excited to go here. I am planning to commit to enroll May 1st, but am wondering if it is bad to withdraw from the school I submitted a LOI for. In my defense, this opportunity came along later after they waitlisted me, and I would rather organize housing, loans, get to know other students earlier rather than go anywhere else and have to scramble last minute if I do get off the waitlist late. I’m hoping because I’m withdrawing before actually getting an acceptance then I’m not actually violating the agreement I made to accept if admitted…? Thoughts? Thanks for the advice!!
That's to way to do it. They haven't offered you a spot, so you are not breaking your word! Enjoy planning for school #4 which is now your school #1!

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
This is exactly why schools don't take LOIs seriously. Is it a bit unprofessional to go back on your word - yep. Will it actually change anything significant in your life - nope.

• Love
Reactions: 4 users
That's the proper approach. Most institutions receive many letters of intent from WL'ed students, therefore it's okay to withdraw entirely.