withdrawing

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

milunn

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am currently enrolled in a class that I am taking as an elective, but am not really enjoying it. Actually, I can't stand the class. I am thinking about withdrawing from it, but don't want that "W" on my transcript. I am wondering if this would look really bad on my transcript to the admissions people. I wish I knew what I was getting into before the drop/add period was over. Do you think I should just stick it out or just don't worry about it and have to explain myself at the interview. Any feedback would be great!

Members don't see this ad.

I withdrew from organic II and still got accepted the first time I applied to d.o. schools. And amazingly enough, I was prepared to say why I dropped the class ( I retook the class and did fine) yet not one single interviwer asked me about it! I guess the rest of my resume made up for it! Don't worry about dropping a class...just be able to explain why just in case!

milunn

A W is far better than a bad grade. You can bet the house that you would have to do a lot more explaning for a bad grade than for a W. If you honestly feel, for whatever reason, you are going to do bad go ahead an drop it. Plus, osteopathic school take into consideration a loy more than just one W. Good luck.

------------------
siul

Members don't see this ad :)
I had lots of withdrawals on my record...the fact that I ended up taking most of the courses eventually and doing well in them made it a non-factor. I got accepted (and I had more withdrawals than not!) Don't worry about it.

I had a W in Organic I on my transcript and was still accepted. A few W's isn't a big deal. Now if there is a consistent trend of course withdrawals, that would be a different story. I wouldn't sweat it. If the course is driving you nuts, just drop it.

I too had multiple withdraws for many different reasons, some academic reasons and other non-academic reasons (i.e., family matters, health, etc.). It happens so don't sweat it too much.

Good luck.

G. (NSUCOM '03) www.nsucom2003.com

I am also a student at osteopathic school and had two W's in undergrad. As a pre med, many sources have told me that one or two W's will not hurt your candidacy at all.