Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

withdrawing

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - DO' started by milunn, Feb 14, 2000.

1. milunn

milunn Member
    10+ Year Member

I am currently enrolled in a class that I am taking as an elective, but am not really enjoying it. Actually, I can't stand the class. I am thinking about withdrawing from it, but don't want that "W" on my transcript. I am wondering if this would look really bad on my transcript to the admissions people. I wish I knew what I was getting into before the drop/add period was over. Do you think I should just stick it out or just don't worry about it and have to explain myself at the interview. Any feedback would be great!

2. rebe13

rebe13 Junior Member
    10+ Year Member

I withdrew from organic II and still got accepted the first time I applied to d.o. schools. And amazingly enough, I was prepared to say why I dropped the class ( I retook the class and did fine) yet not one single interviwer asked me about it! I guess the rest of my resume made up for it! Don't worry about dropping a class...just be able to explain why just in case!

3. siulrc

siulrc Member
    10+ Year Member

milunn

A W is far better than a bad grade. You can bet the house that you would have to do a lot more explaning for a bad grade than for a W. If you honestly feel, for whatever reason, you are going to do bad go ahead an drop it. Plus, osteopathic school take into consideration a loy more than just one W. Good luck.

------------------
    siul

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. UHS03

UHS03 Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

I had lots of withdrawals on my record...the fact that I ended up taking most of the courses eventually and doing well in them made it a non-factor. I got accepted (and I had more withdrawals than not!) Don't worry about it.

5. vmac

vmac Member
    10+ Year Member

I had a W in Organic I on my transcript and was still accepted. A few W's isn't a big deal. Now if there is a consistent trend of course withdrawals, that would be a different story. I wouldn't sweat it. If the course is driving you nuts, just drop it.

6. Gregory Gulick

Gregory Gulick Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

I too had multiple withdraws for many different reasons, some academic reasons and other non-academic reasons (i.e., family matters, health, etc.). It happens so don't sweat it too much.

Good luck.

G. (NSUCOM '03) www.nsucom2003.com

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  7. euhsa

euhsa Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

I am also a student at osteopathic school and had two W's in undergrad. As a pre med, many sources have told me that one or two W's will not hurt your candidacy at all.