WMich (Stryker) sent me a secondary 3.5 months after primary. Should I even bother applying?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Doggowar7

Membership Revoked
Removed
5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Honestly, looking at their profiles for classes. Seems really low yield.
My GPA (3.47/3.34) is too low, MCAT (84th percentile) is meh.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
You miss 100% of the shots you don't take
- Abraham Lincoln

Reactions: 5 users
Do you have other acceptances? If not, it doesn't seem like the appropriate time to be pretentious about a school's numbers.

Members don't see this ad :)
I never got the first secondary that they sent to me, but I just reached out to them and they said I should have gotten it in August so it must have gone in my spam folder. They kindly sent another one and I just submitted it. I wonder if the same thing happened to you? If you are interested in the school then it's probably worth it!

I never got the first secondary that they sent to me, but I just reached out to them and they said I should have gotten it in August so it must have gone in my spam folder. They kindly sent another one and I just submitted it. I wonder if the same thing happened to you? If you are interested in the school then it's probably worth it!
i never got the initial one, it's possible they sent it to my spam...
however, ive never seen it, even via a search

i checked the portal too, no mention of a secondary

i never got the initial one, it's possible they sent it to my spam...
however, ive never seen it, even via a search

i checked the portal too, no mention of a secondary

Same for me. It never showed up in any search or spam folder. I also have my spam folder set up in a way that it should've showed up, but it didn't. So idk! I just wanted to share in case you are holding back primarily because of how long it took them to send it.

This happened to me from another school.. I never got a secondary (yes I checked my spam). They said it was sent out in August, I emailed in September and they re sent it to me.

Yes, IF you're an MI resident.

WMed is not a state school! At my interview day they described themselves as a "private medical school that is affiliated with a state university" and 90% of the interviewees were OOS. They have some preference for their own undergrads, but not for general residents of the state of Michigan.

Reactions: 2 users
Sonuvagun; you're right! Still, it's easier for ISer's to get and II and accept than OOSers.

WMed is not a state school! At my interview day they described themselves as a "private medical school that is affiliated with a state university" and 90% of the interviewees were OOS. They have some preference for their own undergrads, but not for general residents of the state of Michigan.

Sonuvagun; you're right! Still, it's easier for ISer's to get and II and accept than OOSers.

This is wrong-headed thinking. The only preference is for graduates of WMU and Kalamazoo College.

Current M3 at WMed, as much as we love Michiganders we don't weigh Michiganders without a connection to Kalamazoo any more heavily than we weigh Californians without a connection to Kalamazoo.

In-state does not grant a preference over OOS for this school.

Members don't see this ad :)
*sigh* I'm not talking about any overt preference for IS vs OOS.

Look at the numbers:

IS: 1200 apps/136IIs/23 seated

OOS: 2760 apps/185 IIs/37 seated.

Now, who is statistically going to have a higher chance of getting an II, much less an accept?

This is wrong-headed thinking. The only preference is for graduates of WMU and Kalamazoo College.

Current M3 at WMed, as much as we love Michiganders we don't weigh Michiganders without a connection to Kalamazoo any more heavily than we weigh Californians without a connection to Kalamazoo.

In-state does not grant a preference over OOS for this school.

The only thing I would like to add is that they are expanding their class this year, they may have underestimated the amount of II's to fill the new class so the II might not be a complete lost cause. That being said, they are very thoughtful about this process I would fill it out asap.

*sigh* I'm not talking about any overt preference for IS vs OOS.

Look at the numbers:

IS: 1200 apps/136IIs/23 seated

OOS: 2760 apps/185 IIs/37 seated.

Now, who is statistically going to have a higher chance of getting an II, much less an accept?

If those were numbers based on random chance, I would agree with you. However, poor applicants tend to apply more broadly than good applicants and that fact is missing from your analysis.

Being in-state vs out-of-state isn't a factor in weighing candidates. Because more out-of-state candidates are applying broadly to account for their lower-quality application, we accept fewer of those.

This person applying isn't a roll of dice or a random card draw, and the strength of their application is not a random chance event. You're interpreting those numbers as if it were.

They're actual app numbers from MSAR. You think all those applicants are worse than the OP?

If those were numbers based on random chance, I would agree with you. However, poor applicants tend to apply more broadly than good applicants and that fact is missing from your analysis.

Being in-state vs out-of-state isn't a factor in weighing candidates. Because more out-of-state candidates are applying broadly to account for their lower-quality application, we accept fewer of those.

This person applying isn't a roll of dice or a random card draw, and the strength of their application is not a random chance event. You're interpreting those numbers as if it were.

I applied in early September and they still haven't started my experience review >.<

bump

Last edited:
I was rejected from Wmich with almost identical stats. If you dont have a connection to western michigan, I would not bother tbh

I interviewed and was waitlisted at WMed, I was OOS but many of the applicants were OOS applicants too. Personally, I think that if they send you a secondary you should fill it out because they're interested in you. From what I saw on interview day they seem extremely careful about who they want to fill up their class because they've created such a nice and friendly atmosphere, they want to make sure that everyone going there is a good fit. Everyone in the class seemed so close knit and it's just very unique and different from other schools.

They do make you jump through many hoops, like the personality test, the phone interview, and then finally you can be considered for an II. But I think it's worth it to go to a school where you could potentially be very happy at. They view the application holistically and they're not just about numbers. So if you have some spare money, why not?