Women tend to be better dentists than men?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

groundhog

1K Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
All else being equal, I believe women tend to be better dentitsts than men because women generally are more tenacious at achieving perfection in their handywork.

The best restorative procedure ever performed on my teeth was done by a woman dentist. I had a deep and wide cavity on the back side of my left lower first molar. It extended way below my gum line. When I saw the x-ray, I knew I was in deep doo-doo. The dentist told me up front that I could be headed to see an oral surgeon, but that she would do her best. She expended a great deal of time working the area. As she finished, she said "I believe I got a good seal". That was 15 years ago. The old amalgam is still in place and the tooth is doing fine. All my other molars have been topped off with crowns. Why didn't I keep her as my dentist? It was a unique situation. She was a very experienced practitioner and an adjunct professor at the local dental school. She was only at that particular office for a short period of time in order to help a couple of new dentists get their practice off the ground.

Members don't see this ad.

And men tend to be better politicians, CEO's, lawyers, sports stars, professors, ER doctors, etc. because they are more likely to take charge. (?). In fact, why don't we assign professions according to sex? Why not according to race and beliefs as well? If women are so great with perfecting their handiwork, why don't we make them all sweater knitters and cooks?

Please excuse the sarcasm, but I strongly disagree with your statement. A person's ability to perform their work is completely independent of their gender. I don't believe comments like yours have any place in this forum. Maybe at a feminist b*tch forum, but not here.

groundhoug,

Thanks for your advice. I've never been to a female dentist before. Perhaps I will try one now. My current dentist is up there in years and will probably retire soon. I never thought about it but I agree that it is possible that women could be better at dentistry. It's worth a short anyway.

Members don't see this ad :)
Men would make better doctors, engineers, or just about any position that requires technical expertise because it is commonly known that men are smarter than women. Ok never mind I was using the logic of the original poster and until I pulled my head out of my a$$ it made sense.

YES!

I thank every one of you for your input. I was hoping a little diversion would be beneficial to all you applicants out there as we appraoch December 1st. Good luck to each of you.

22 days till 12/1....anyone counting down the days in a creative manner? I've got a jar of the exact number of jelly beans = to days left here at work and eat one each morning....

6 days left until xbox.....hey, u gotta keep your priorities straight, right? and need to further hone those manual dexterity skills... ;) :cool:

Good job Groundhog, as much as I believe that men and women can do equally as well in Dentistry, it was awfully fun having the guys defend themselves as women have had to for so many years. I think a persons professional skills is not gender based; its an individual by individual thing. :)

DragonFly9 is absolutely right, but I never ran into any female dentists but most of them I ran into are dental assistants.

I never realized that such sexism(even though groundhog was probably being sarcastic) existed in dentistry. I would have never objected to being treated by a female dentist. Say :oops: